• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

empty holster stink eye?

WalkingWolf

Quick question, in MI you cannot carry where alcohol is sold?

In NC you can't carry "where sold and consumed" which sucks bad enough, but that really sucks.

Why do you think all the laws allowing carry with a permit are being put up here. It is not hard to figure out where the lobbyists are heading. Hopefully enough in NC wake up so we are not put in the position of wearing a empty holster. I did not know MI was being infringed upon in this way, it is sad and unfortunate.

The KMart here does not sell alcohol, maybe the KMarts in MI do not either.

BTW I OC a knife in Pizza Hut, and any other establishment where the alcohol restriction is in place. For some reason large knives get more attention(stares) than a handgun. I would suggest others carry a knife also in these circumstances. You will get the same statement across and still have some level of self defense.

Last edited:

mikestilly

Two facts for your consideration. OCing has two, and only two benefits. One is drawing attention. Both to the pro gun cause, getting people talking, both to you and others. The other side of that attention is that it scares 99% of bad guys into wanting to get the hell out of your vicinity as fast as possible.

The other fact is that mikestilly has himself made pro gun t shirts to take to events and sell. I would firmly stand behind the idea of a shirt that explains what you're doing and why, at least if you'd be comfortable wearing one, and I'm honestly rather surprised that mike isn't more into the idea.

:) I read a great article and also a discussion on the Patriot channel with Wilkow on this very issue, which is OT and has nothing to do with the OP of this thread but I'll explain anyways.

There is a time and a place to wear pro-gun t-shirts and I'm definitely not against them. It all depends on how flamboyant they are as to if they're the right shirt to wear while your actually open carrying in public.

Pro gun yes but it was done in a thoughtful manner in which it didnt draw unnecessary attention to yourself, good for everyday use (pic of a Minuteman with the actual date of the ratification of the second amendment.) One that is made solely to bring attention to yourself alerting everyone that you're armed is not something I'd recommend because it brings unnecessary attention to yourself while you're open carrying in public. Lastly, this is only my opinion and I'm not telling anyone what to do. We are in a free country and while OCing people can do what they want. My opinion is if you OC with shirts that draw attention to the firearm you're carrying you will have far more negative encounters. I also feel there is a place and a time to wear those flamboyant shirts. Such as going to the range, or shooting in the back yard with your friends, or going to a 2A rally, etc, etc. As someone who open carries on a regular basis and has virtually zero "encounters" I feel wearing provocative shirts is not the way to do it while carrying a firearm while in public around town.

I'll also condemn the personal attack post by AZ. I hope it's deleted. Typical BS of this forum.

PS: There are people who open carry to bring as much attention to themselves as possible. As in that is their goal. They are many times the first people to run to forums to complain as to why they keep getting harassed. It is these very people that give open carry a bad name and are the reasons many time people and law enforcement feel people open carry in general is a bad thing. You cant ignore that this occurs.

PPS: This isnt just limited to shirts either. You dress like a criminal, bum, shlub, you usually are treated like one. Yes I'd say its stereotyping but thats the way life is. A person with a suit an tie is taken more seriously and treated with more respect then a person with jeans with rips all over it, shoes with the laces trailing behind them, hat on backwards, and wearing a wifebeater shirt. It's a fact of life and if people dont understand those basics then you will not understand anything I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If your intention was to OC and bring as much attention to yourself as possible I guess [the t-shrit idea mentioned above] would fulfill it's purpose. Definitely not something I'd do or recommend or been tempted to do myself.

Oh? Why not? For heaven's sake, I'm openly carrying a gun in order to draw attention to and promote the basic human right of self-defense. How on earth am I wrong wearing a t-shirt so even more people see it?

I've seen the NRA t-shirts in public. And, the Don't Tread on Me t-shirts. And, even a couple From My Cold Dead Hands t-shirts. None put their money where their mouth was and OCd at the same time. I would be taking their promotion, and actually doing the bearing of arms they claim to support.

Michigander

If the message was more obnoxious, like "from my cold dead hands you liberal *****!" I could see what you are saying, mike.

In the context of the message brought up earlier, the message is polite, direct, and unless the person is insane, a felon, a drug user, or a child, it's true. It would prevent someone from connecting the dots in their head to "oh that must be an off duty/plain clothes guard or cop." Adding in "ask me for more information" would make it even better.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Either one supports right's or they do not. No grey area there. From the post of some that proclaim from on high that they are the authority on the 2A. They clearly are conflicted. I support all rights, not just the ones that are ok in my book. You want to wear a shirt that says SCREW guns! Ok by me: it's your right, that many have died for. Likewise someone wants to wear a OC shirt - I support their right to freedom of expression. Funny how some want to pick & choose what rights matter....:rolleyes:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've seen the NRA t-shirts in public. And, the Don't Tread on Me t-shirts. And, even a couple From My Cold Dead Hands t-shirts. None put their money where their mouth was and OCd at the same time.

Now, now. I had, and frequently wore – until it was destroyed by an errant merchandise rack – a really nice Gadsden flag western snap shirt. (In fact if I could find another I'd buy it again.)

Wanna bet whether I OCed when I wore it? :p

FreeInAZ

Now, now. I had, and frequently wore – until it was destroyed by an errant merchandise rack – a really nice Gadsden flag western snap shirt. (In fact if I could find another I'd buy it again.)

No way I'd take that bet. However if you do happen upon a replacement online could you post the link? I would like to follow in your footsteps Sir. And I'd be in style now that I live in the Southwest :D

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

You prolly gave it away cause it didn't attract girls in Fuddruckers the way other shirts did. :p:)

And, no, I ain't takin' that bet, neither. Which reminds me--I think I got some PMs I been avoiding looking at.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Which. Funny how some want to pick and choose which rights matter. :p:D

Thanks - it was a simple point of: if we don't value all rights, NONE of them really matter. Grammar police are always helpful. :p The value of all rights = something completely lost on the tool it was directed at. :(

Last edited: