• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The anti's in Illinois aren't giving up in Illinois.

kurt555gs

The anti's in Illinois aren't giving up.

We can expect another try at the Magazine / Assault Weapons ban after Easter recess.

I have been noticing a new phrase in the anti's lexicon. They have recently changed from "assault weapon" to " assault style weapon ". I don't know why, except a rifle such as an AR-15 is not an "assault weapon" by definition. The M-16 that it looks like is.

So here is my thought. They are now admitting they want to ban firearms based on looks, not function. So, wouldn't that be a violation of the 1st amendment? It would be the same as banning a genre of music because they didn't like the sound. or banning modern art because they didn't like the way it looks.

Of course these style bans violate the 2nd amendment, but maybe we are missing out on challenging them on 1st amendment " freedom of expression " grounds as well.

Last edited:

Oramac

We can expect another try at the Magazine / Assault Weapons ban after Easter recess.

I have been noticing a new phrase in the anti's lexicon. They have recently changed from "assault weapon" to " assault style weapon ". I don't know why, except a rifle such as an AR-15 is not an "assault weapon" by definition. The M-16 that it looks like is.

So here is my thought. They are now admitting they want to ban firearms based on looks, not function. So, wouldn't that be a violation of the 1st amendment? It would be the same as banning a genre of music because they didn't like the sound. or banning modern art because they didn't like the way it looks.

Of course these style bans violate the 2nd amendment, but maybe we are missing out on challenging them on 1st amendment " freedom of expression " grounds as well.

A very interesting perspective. You'd have to talk to a lawyer to get a solid answer, but it sounds reasonable to me. And if they ban them on looks alone, doesn't that also include Airsoft, BB, and water guns too? Might be able to get a lot more people on our side if it does.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Didn't they previously have a IL Supreme court case that said something like "similar style" and the court struck it down as being too vague?