• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do You Still Carry Your Gun?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Has the media hyperbole changed how I carry? Yeah, a small amount: I OC instead of CC whenever practical. I want people to see that gun carry is alive and well and won't be intimidated by mass hysteria and witch hunts.

You stated that most people are afraid of encounters with the police. I can't speak on behalf of "most people" but there does not seem to be any great apprehension expressed about this in the CC classes I teach. The topic is covered and I think most people come away feeling that routine police encounters will not be nerve-racking experiences and they can handle them with confidence. Just because there are a few horror stories around, the vast majority of routine police encounters with lawful gun carriers go just fine. Most likely, yours will too! I encourage everyone to give some thought to how they will behave in certain circumstances, e.g., traffic stops, so they aren't fumbling for the "appropriate response" at the time.

Police deal with so many people that they develop a high sensitivity to detecting nervousness. Likewise, they are equally aware of confidence. Confidence tends to put police (or anyone for that matter) at ease more than nervousness. If your greatest fear when going lawfully armed is the police, then reconsider your decision to go out armed.

If you're not breaking the law, then don't respond or behave like you are... relax.

Thanks Auric. :) I should have clarified a bit. The increase in police encounter questions have only been since the Newtown shootings. I have always gotten the typical traffic stop question & it is always covered in the course anyway. Lately though there are more questions about it. Maybe I'm making more of this than there is to it? Either way, I'm glad everyone is carrying and doing so as much as we can to educate the public.

Lurchiron

Well I carry but not in illinois. I can honestly say most people are afraid of the police here an it's not just guns. No doubt about that. It is a new thing to me to open carry but i'm learning from you all in wisconsin. I remember somethin Jeff Cooper said "I carry a sidearm so I can fight my way to my rifle!" or somethin like that.

I guess I need to find a good semi rifle but that seems bout impossible right now.

As a sock-puppet with no opposable thumbs, how do you carry; let alone grip a weapon :question::question::question:

Say hi to Phil & Ned, perhaps the mods can send you there also...

[video=youtube;45fGwvHZOCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fGwvHZOCU[/video] :shocker:

benraines

As a sock-puppet with no opposable thumbs, how do you carry; let alone grip a weapon :question::question::question:

Say hi to Phil & Ned, perhaps the mods can send you there also...

[video=youtube;45fGwvHZOCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fGwvHZOCU[/video] :shocker:

And the attacks begin. Thanks for attacking someone who fought for our rights more than you can imagine. You're ignorance is paramount.

M

McX

still tromping around with mine on. tugging my pants up at periodic intervals. lesson learned; almost got pinned in a store here some time back by two charming locals the one time i went without it. lesson learned, gun stays on.

MKEgal

Shotgun said:
If you're not breaking the law, then don't respond or behave like you are... relax.
That hasn't worked well for me. :(

Lurchiron said:
time for you to invent a new alias
The troll/stalker usually has at least 2 going at any one time, so when one gets banned (as they eventually do) he can go on harassing people. We just need to keep reporting them as they pop up.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

The troll/stalker usually has at least 2 going at any one time, so when one gets banned (as they eventually do) he can go on harassing people. We just need to keep reporting them as they pop up.

So true MKEgal! You are probably the most "relaxed" person I know and you have been harassed & arrested several times for NEVER breaking the law.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

True, but your incidents weren't the "routine traffic stop" sort of thing I was talking about, and mostly involved officers from an agency that suffers from poor training, discipline and leadership.

The State Department ought to include advisories for travel through the Milwaukee Kingdom, or shall I say "Flynndom?"

E6chevron

I have been carrying with Open gear, mostly. During the winter time, or when wearing a windbreaker or a jersey, the OWB holster at 3 oclock is often covered completely or partially.

The great majority of people that talk to me or ask me about it, seem to be supportive, or simply seeking a little reassurance that I AM a good guy, and no threat to other good guys. I am relaxed and calm, I know the laws, perhaps better than some LEO's I might encounter, but, thanks to some observation and conversation of MKEgal and others, I have the faith that right will prevail.

I do not draw attention to myself, but when someone notices that I am carrying, I try not to look like I have been "caught" doing anything wrong or even inappropriate. I welcome questions from people that appear sober and not aggressive. Others, I just look right back at them, smile, do a quick threat assessment, and then go on about my business, but keep aware of them.

jpm84092

Still Ready for Self Defense

The Yellow Cat carries his primary via "casual carry" (if my sweater happens to open and somebody sees my firearm - so what?) and my back-up in deep concealment, but readily available. That is my daily routine (except when traveling for business on a commercial airliner). My firearm is like my American Express - never leave home without it.

Yellow Cat Out -