• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama Senate passes watered down carry reform bill. SB-286

JohnH

The problem in Alabama is that our rights were severely infringed in the 1930's when the current concealed carry law was passed. Then during the mid 1950's the concealed carry law was changed to include vehicle carry to disarm civil rights workers. The position we are in in Alabama is not one of simply making law, but one of undoing bad law. If we can get this through both houses, and signed, it will overall be a victory, and show people that change can be made which gives us a chance to change things in future. As it stand, with no change, every sheriff, chief of police and "wanna be a big boy" cop, deputy and municipal judge is free to twist bend and manipulate the law to intimidate and infringe on the peoples freedom. I wonder just how many Californians would want to have a free lifetime permit to carry in their vehicle which the sheriff had to issue...

FTG-05

I've been watching this bill since it was first introduced to the Senate Committee, when the bill was first introduced it was IMO an excellent bill. Cleared up language, kept full preemption, got rid of permit for vehicle carry. But this bill would NOT have passed the Senate had all of those things remained. It would not have passed a majority vote if a few things wasn't changed, many senators said they would support if the sponsors worked with the ASA and ABC to "give in" a bit. Is it what we want? No, but it's 100% impossible at this point to get everything we want passed. I watched every bit of the Senate deliberation on this bill via live stream and it was met with quite a bit of backlash. It's not like this is the only bill we can ever introduce, if this one passes, next year we will start working on another one to try and right some of the wrongs that still exist. The most important part for me right now is getting the language regarding OC cleared up and getting a shall issue permit system. I'm not too worried about the vehicle carry at this point because frankly I'll have a CC permit regardless until the point in time we can push for constitutional carry, which isn't very close. With the heavy anti-gun climate this country is currently facing it's useless to possess an all or nothing attitude because you will most definitely get nothing.

And this is the point that I come down on: OC and shall issue.

The lifetime and free vehicle permit was and is an obvious sop to the anti-gun and pro-gun/people control sheriff's association. It sounds good in theory but I don't think they've thought it through: It's free i.e. they will not get any $$$ from it like the pistol permit process and therefore will be nothing more than a drag on budget and people resources. My bet is that this time next year they'll be glad to get rid of it.

With all respect to Eye and his non-all or nothing objections (despite what some have said here) I say let's take what we can get this time and start working next year's bill as soon as this one is passed.

Ethical self-disclosure required: It forking pisses me off that Blake Dorning (Madison County Sheriff) deliberately takes +6 weeks to issue a permit for new timers. This is inexcusable. For entirely emotional reasons, I want to take this shall issue/30 day response time bill and shove it down his throat! :mad: Ok, now that I have that out of my system, let's return to the debate.....

Last edited:

eye95

The NRA's judgment is suspect. For years I pointed out flaws regarding how they presented OC in Alabama. They didn't care. I ditched my membership. I don't know what the NRA is after, but it ain't what I'd call the RKBA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

ADobbs1989

This is an upbeat article, that essentially says everything is wonderful, we're winning now break huddle and go get 'em!

Take a look:

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...sails-through-the-senate.aspx?s=&st=10465&ps=

What do you think?

IDK, but this ISN'T a NRA written bill. They didn't support it until it went to the Senate Committee this year...it's been written and modified for 3 years now way before the NRA was on board. So whatever the NRA's motives are is mostly irrelevant since they only support the bill.

Arnao

Far from perfect I agree, but this has taken some awesome steps. May changed to shall. OC spelled out that it is legal. DC no longer an excuse for LEO harassment. Out of date and older codes repealed. ect ect.

herman48

OK, so it's watered down...

But with what's been going on in the country after Aurora and Newtown it's a miracle it even passed as is. Let me introduce myself. I live in Kodiak, Alaska, but I'm moving to Alabama at the beginning of June. I am a volunteer activist for all gun causes and was one of those who fought tooth and nail to convince the AK legislators to approve the concealed carry permit. Here in Alaska now we are lucky and we need no permit to carry concealed or otherwise. The only reason we still get CCW's is the reciprocity with many other states. I almost decided not to retire in Alabama because of its "may issue" concealed carry rule. Maybe you who don't want to support this bill fail to see the enormity of the may issue rule and the undue power it gives the authorities to arbitrarily and capriciously decide who can carry concealed and who can't. Yes, there are parts of this bill that are not what you want. But they can be amended later. The original concealed carry bill here in Alaska also contained too many restrictions, but once we put our foot in the door with the main bill, we were able to eliminate almost all of them during almost every successive legislature. If this Alabama bill doesn't pass, the sheriffs (many of whom are not pro-Second Amendment) will continue to exercise undue authority on your Second Amendment rights. Help this bill pass, and then, every year, work with the legislators and strip the provisions you don't like one at a time. That's what we did. That's what should be done. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a good idea.

ADobbs1989

But with what's been going on in the country after Aurora and Newtown it's a miracle it even passed as is. Let me introduce myself. I live in Kodiak, Alaska, but I'm moving to Alabama at the beginning of June. I am a volunteer activist for all gun causes and was one of those who fought tooth and nail to convince the AK legislators to approve the concealed carry permit. Here in Alaska now we are lucky and we need no permit to carry concealed or otherwise. The only reason we still get CCW's is the reciprocity with many other states. I almost decided not to retire in Alabama because of its "may issue" concealed carry rule. Maybe you who don't want to support this bill fail to see the enormity of the may issue rule and the undue power it gives the authorities to arbitrarily and capriciously decide who can carry concealed and who can't. Yes, there are parts of this bill that are not what you want. But they can be amended later. The original concealed carry bill here in Alaska also contained too many restrictions, but once we put our foot in the door with the main bill, we were able to eliminate almost all of them during almost every successive legislature. If this Alabama bill doesn't pass, the sheriffs (many of whom are not pro-Second Amendment) will continue to exercise undue authority on your Second Amendment rights. Help this bill pass, and then, every year, work with the legislators and strip the provisions you don't like one at a time. That's what we did. That's what should be done. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not a good idea.

+1. Btw, what area are you looking to move to?

JohnH

Worse, if it doesn't pass, the sheriff's get off feeling as though they can enforce what they'd like the law to be, not what it is. Their unrelenting attack on this ball, through lies and misinformation is despicable at best.

Brimstone Baritone

I'll believe it when I see it in action.

I'm happy with the fact that progress is being made, at least on paper. We'll see how long it takes before your everyday beat cop gets the memo to stop harassing people for lawful exercise of the right to carry. Considering I have been told by no less than three officers that I could be subject to arrest for openly carrying a concealed weapon (I **** you not)... Well, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

Treborfoot

Plans for next year are already in the works...Senator Scott Beason has been doing his homework.

Too much attention is always focused on Alabama Politics instead of the Alabama Constitution...

When you get here welcome to Alabama herman48..

herman48

Plans for next year are already in the works...Senator Scott Beason has been doing his homework.

Too much attention is always focused on Alabama Politics instead of the Alabama Constitution...

When you get here welcome to Alabama herman48..

Thank you. I am going to reside in Coffee County. It's going to take some time to adjust to the climate change, after 7 years in Montana and 29 in Alaska. I think I'll spend the first three months at home with the air conditioner going full blast...

ADobbs1989

Thank you. I am going to reside in Coffee County. It's going to take some time to adjust to the climate change, after 7 years in Montana and 29 in Alaska. I think I'll spend the first three months at home with the air conditioner going full blast...

Considering your moving here in June, you might melt before September. I have lived here all my life and I still can't take the humidity.

herman48

Status of the bill

What is the status of the bill? I know it's in some house committee. It would behoove all Alabama oplophiles to call the members of that committee and express their support for the bill as is. We GOT to get it passed and signed by the governor. Then we'll have to work to change it for the better at the next legislative sessions. And keep in mind that after the stinging defeat in the U.S. Senate, the anti-gun crowd is going to try to operate at state level to restrict gun rights and/or to prevent their expansion. We won a big battle, but the war is far from being over...

herman48

I am confused

I'm happy with the fact that progress is being made, at least on paper. We'll see how long it takes before your everyday beat cop gets the memo to stop harassing people for lawful exercise of the right to carry. Considering I have been told by no less than three officers that I could be subject to arrest for openly carrying a concealed weapon (I **** you not)... Well, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

"openly carrying a concealed weapon"??? I don't get it.

Brimstone Baritone

It didn't make sense to me either

The first time was by a Birmingham City police officer while she was explaining to me that my Concealed Carry permit was no good on "City-owned private property". (First of all, it is void on government property, which is why I was carrying openly. Second, city-owned property is by definition public property. Third, no permit is required to, nor exists for, carrying openly. Especially not on public property.) I asked her what I would be charged with, and she said "Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit." This was an openly carried pistol.

The second time was a St. Clair County officer who was explaining to me that my Concealed Carry permit forbid me from carrying openly. I asked if that meant that if I carried openly I would be subject to arrest for carrying a concealed pistol without a permit (the wording on my permit). He quickly said yes, then thought for a second, and then changed the subject.

The third time was a different BPD officer, while explaining that my permit (again, my concealed carry permit) was not valid on private property, and that if I carried on private property without first getting the express permission of the owner I would be subject to arrest for carrying a concealed weapon (again, my pistol was carried openly) without a permit. There is too much wrong with that whole statement to go into on my phone, but let me sum it up by saying neither Alabama weapons law nor Alabama trespassing law work that way.

herman48

Does anyone know what happened today at the hearing?

Today (Tuesday) there was a hearing on SB 286 at the House Finance Committee. They were listening to testimony. I'm sure the sheriffs kept on spouting lies and trying to stop this bill. Does anyone know what happened?

ADobbs1989

Today (Tuesday) there was a hearing on SB 286 at the House Finance Committee. They were listening to testimony. I'm sure the sheriffs kept on spouting lies and trying to stop this bill. Does anyone know what happened?

A few people from Bama Carry were there and their overall response to the hearing was positive. They seem to get the vibe that the bill was pass committee which will be voted on tomorrow. Another member of Bama Carry had a run in with the governor while out shopping the other day and his response was that as soon as it passes the House he will be signing it into law.