• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question: Buying firearm in to (to oc)

HearseGuy

I have a question about purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Specifically a gun show. My buddy is looking to purchase a firearm tomorrow. He will be OCing with it.

My question is the secondary form of ID. The VSP site says a passport is an acceptable secondary ID. It then says the second ID must have the same address listed as the primary ID (in his case his valid VA drivers license)

Only a passport doesn't have an address? His don't, mine don't and every sample I've seen online doesn't. So will his CURRENT passport and CURRENT VALID VA license be sufficient to purchase a firearm?

Thanks so much, I figured with the wealth of knowledge here this would be the place to ask.

TFred

I have a question about purchasing a firearm from a dealer. Specifically a gun show. My buddy is looking to purchase a firearm tomorrow. He will be OCing with it.

My question is the secondary form of ID. The VSP site says a passport is an acceptable secondary ID. It then says the second ID must have the same address listed as the primary ID (in his case his valid VA drivers license)

Only a passport doesn't have an address? His don't, mine don't and every sample I've seen online doesn't. So will his CURRENT passport and CURRENT VALID VA license be sufficient to purchase a firearm?

Thanks so much, I figured with the wealth of knowledge here this would be the place to ask.
I've wondered about this too. No US passports have an address listed as part of the official data. They last 10 years, it would be pointless. There is a place where you are supposed to write your current address in pencil. I wonder if that would work? Sort of stupid if it does...

TFred

HearseGuy

Secondary Identification

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification. Some acceptable forms of secondary ID are:

a current lease,
evidence of currently paid personal property tax or real estate tax,
a current utility or telephone bill,
a current voter registration card,
a current bank check,
a current passport,
a current automobile registration and
current hunting or fishing license.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

Virginia State Police clearly states a passport is good for second ID. But also the second ID must show address. But there's no address on a passport.

I didn't see a spot to write in an address have to look again. But I would hate to get over there, him pay to get in, and not be able to buy anything

scouser

....I would hate to get over there, him pay to get in, and not be able to buy anything

so have him take an alternate secondary ID. Personally, with the rfid chip in the passport I'd be inclined to leave that at home because you just never know who might be tracking you if you don't have it shielded

VApatriot

If you and/or your buddy want to have some extra fun at the gun show, go around and ask this question to several different LEOs, including troopers. They shouldn't be hard to find at a gun show. I'll bet that you could get a half dozen different answers. Obviously I wouldn't trust a word of any answer about law from a cop, but it would be fun just to see what kinds of responses they come up with. Heck, ask a couple different dealers. I'll bet that you can even get different answers from them, too.

HearseGuy

If you and/or your buddy want to have some extra fun at the gun show, go around and ask this question to several different LEOs, including troopers. They shouldn't be hard to find at a gun show. I'll bet that you could get a half dozen different answers. Obviously I wouldn't trust a word of any answer about law from a cop, but it would be fun just to see what kinds of responses they come up with. Heck, ask a couple different dealers. I'll bet that you can even get different answers from them, too.

You were right it was fun!

I asked the state trooper at the table checking weapons and he said he was not sure but would find out. And he actually did and was a really cool, nice guy. He said that the passport part being acceptable was written in 1989. Apparently older passports had an address on them. A passport is NOT an acceptable form of secondary ID because it does not have an address on it identical to the address on the primary form of ID.

Just an FYI for anyone who may care. All dealers (that i asked anyway) were also aware that a passport was not an acceptable secondary ID due to the lack of an address. Not a concern to me as I buy privately.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
You were right it was fun!

I asked the state trooper at the table checking weapons and he said he was not sure but would find out. And he actually did and was a really cool, nice guy. He said that the passport part being acceptable was written in 1989. Apparently older passports had an address on them. A passport is NOT an acceptable form of secondary ID because it does not have an address on it identical to the address on the primary form of ID.

Just an FYI for anyone who may care. All dealers (that i asked anyway) were also aware that a passport was not an acceptable secondary ID due to the lack of an address. Not a concern to me as I buy privately.

I'm not surprised a dealer would know the correct answer. His livelihood depends on it.

HearseGuy

I'm not surprised a dealer would know the correct answer. His livelihood depends on it.

Absolutely.

Norfolk gun show was great. I liked it better than the SGK. It was smaller but I could actually look at stuff. Hampton was packed like sardines. My buddy got a great deal on a Gen 3 Glock 17 with 3 mags and night sights.

9mm ammo was still stupid. People were asking 30-38 dollars for 50 rounds of federal ball ammo! 50-55 for 100 round win white boxes. Stupid. Tulammo was 22 dollars for 50 rounds. Handguns seemed to be at sane levels. Semi auto rifles are coming down to almost normal prices too.

scouser

Absolutely.

Norfolk gun show was great. I liked it better than the SGK. It was smaller but I could actually look at stuff. Hampton was packed like sardines. My buddy got a great deal on a Gen 3 Glock 17 with 3 mags and night sights.

9mm ammo was still stupid. People were asking 30-38 dollars for 50 rounds of federal ball ammo! 50-55 for 100 round win white boxes. Stupid. Tulammo was 22 dollars for 50 rounds. Handguns seemed to be at sane levels. Semi auto rifles are coming down to almost normal prices too.

On the subject of stupid prices, I received an email a little over 24 hours ago from one online ammo selling company who were asking $100 for a 50 round box of .45 AUTO 230 gr FMJ

and that's BEFORE adding shipping costs which for one box they're quoting at $13.34

Last edited:

Glockster

On the subject of stupid prices, I received an email a little over 24 hours ago from one online ammo selling company who were asking $100 for a 50 round box of .45 AUTO 230 gr FMJ

and that's BEFORE adding shipping costs which for one box they're quoting at $13.34

Check with Cheaper than Dirt as I just saw them with both range and defensive for a lot less than that.

Added: Wow, checked Georgia Arms as well and see that they indicate a 2-9 months delay for any ammo (they say that ALL ammo is out of stock due to problems getting components?).

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
back to the original topic - this is the first I've heard of a requirement that an address be stated on more than one piece of ID. That may be what they'd like, but I don't think there's any legal basis for it (though I'd have to do some research to be sure). What is clear to me is that you have to have evidence of two separate facts: 1) that you are who you say you are (and a passport is good for that); and (2) that you are a resident of the state you claim to be a resident of (OL, fishing licence, lease, etc. showing place of actual residence). Those two facts do not have to be established by every piece of ID. The statute does require that any address stated on both must be identical. But it doesn't say that any address has to be stated on both, and the fact that a U.S. passport is an approved form would negate that assumption. By the way, the statute specifically lists passport, and the VSP doesn't have the authority to say a passport is not acceptable - doesn't matter what a passport was in 1989 or when the statute was enacted, Virginia law says a passport is acceptable. The Va. Sup. Ct. is fond of saying that the legislature is presumed to know what's in the code and if they wanted it to say something new and different, they've got the power to change it. The fact that they haven't amended the statute creates a presumption that the Commonwealth likes the law the way it is.

Last edited:

Mongoose72

Actual Law on IDs

back to the original topic - this is the first I've heard of a requirement that an address be stated on more than one piece of ID. That may be what they'd like, but I don't think there's any legal basis for it (though I'd have to do some research to be sure). What is clear to me is that you have to have evidence of two separate facts: 1) that you are who you say you are (and a passport is good for that); and (2) that you are a resident of the state you claim to be a resident of (OL, fishing licence, lease, etc. showing place of actual residence). Those two facts do not have to be established by every piece of ID. The statute does require that any address stated on both must be identical. But it doesn't say that any address has to be stated on both, and the fact that a U.S. passport is an approved form would negate that assumption. By the way, the statute specifically lists passport, and the VSP doesn't have the authority to say a passport is not acceptable - doesn't matter what a passport was in 1989 or when the statute was enacted, Virginia law says a passport is acceptable. The Va. Sup. Ct. is fond of saying that the legislature is presumed to know what's in the code and if they wanted it to say something new and different, they've got the power to change it. The fact that they haven't amended the statute creates a presumption that the Commonwealth likes the law the way it is.

From my research there is no basis for such a denial or an insistence on both IDs having the same address.
This topic has come up a lot and is always going to be a problem as there are a lot of dealers who have never actually read the law.
The ATF requirements are easily met:
On form 4473 question 20B allows for alternate documentation; instructions say a “combination of government issued documents can be used” if the photo ID does not reflect the current address. http://149.101.29.141/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

The Virginia State Police requirements are a little bit harder to follow as they reflect the statute and require a cross reference to the ATF ruling.

18.2-308.2:2. part B section G states: g) hunting or fishing license; other current
identification allowed as evidence of residency by Part 178.124 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations and ATF Ruling 2001-5;
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2

ATF Ruling 2001-5 states:
It is ATF's position
that a combination of documents may be used to satisfy the Brady Act's requirement
for an identification document. The prospective transferee must present at least
one valid document that meets the statutory definition of an identification
document; i.e., it must bear the transferee's name and photograph, it must have
been issued by a governmental entity, and it must be of a type intended or commonly
accepted for identification purposes. ATF recognizes, however, that some valid
government-issued identification documents do not include the bearer's current
residence address. Such an identification document may be supplemented with
another valid government-issued document that contains the necessary information.
Thus, for example, a licensee may accept a valid driver's license that accurately reflects the purchaser's name, date of birth, and photograph, along with a vehicle registration issued
by the State indicating the transferee's current address. Licensees should note
that if the law of the State that issued the driver's license provides that
the driver's license is invalid due to any reason (i.e., the license
is expired or is no longer valid due to an unreported change of address), then
the driver's license may not be used for identification purposes under the Brady
Act. If a licensee has reasonable cause to question the validity of an identification
document, he or she should not proceed with the transfer until those questions
can be resolved.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2001-5.html

So legally you are fine having a mailing address on your license and using other documents to verify address. I have used my driver’s license (with a mailing address) along with my CHP and a lease to purchase at a gun show before. The problem is that some dealers have never bothered to read the actual ATF instructions or perhaps they are too complicated for them to understand.:uhoh: So you might run into a dealer who will refuse to sell you a weapon. You can bring the ATF ruling 2001-5 highlighted, and a copy of the form 4473 instructions also highlighted and argue why they are in error; or you can just go to another dealer who has taken the time to learn the law.

Last edited:

HearseGuy

Good info thanks guys.

My buddy used his licence and his truck registration. The whole transaction and back ground check took about 15 mins it was great.