• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 Is an Election Year (in Virginia)

2a4all

The 20/20 split in the Senate may be in jeopardy.

Bill Bolling (R) will not seek another term as Lt. Governor.

The Democratic Party of Virginia informed the Virginia State Board of Elections that it has certified the petition signatures submitted by all five statewide campaigns. Terry McAuliffe is the only candidate who qualified for the 2013 gubernatorial primary ballot and becomes the Democratic nominee for Governor. Senator Ralph Northam and Aneesh Chopra qualified to be Democratic candidates for Lieutenant Governor and Senator Mark Herring and Justin Fairfax qualified to be Democratic candidates for Attorney General. All move on to the June 11th primary.
http://www.vademocrats.org/press-releases

Del Mike Watson (R 93) has been appointed to the HRT Planning Organization, replacing Del John A Cosgrove (R-Chesapeake) (Watson will still be a Delegate). Cosgrove will run for the Senate seat being vacated by Harry Blevins (R Chesapeake) this week. So Cosgrove v ????.

Could Sen Charles J. Colgan (D PW County) stepping down??

Republican Candidates will be selected at the Convention, May 18, 2013.

Democratic Candidates will be determined by Primary Election June 11, 2013.

Mods, please make this a sticky thread.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There are going to be a lot of opinions between here and there...so here's mine.

Unless one of them really trips up, the top three are already in the bag. They just need to take the oath.

Governor..Cuccinelli

LT. Governor....Lingamfelter

Attorney General...Obenshain

The real problem and question mark is who will replace them. Obenshain is usually pro gun and Lingamfelter is also. That leaves two voids to fill.

Last edited:

2a4all

There are going to be a lot of opinions between here and there...so here's mine.

Unless one of them really trips up, the top three are already in the bag. They just need to take the oath.

Governor..Cuccinelli

The real problem and question mark is who will replace them. Obenshain is usually pro gun and Lingamfelter is also. That leaves two voids to fill.
If Obenshain is successful, there'll be 3 Senate seats open, 2 of them Republican.:banghead:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I disagree with the predictions made here, but beyond that -- was this intended as an opinion thread? If so, I'll mark it ignored and motor on.

If it's to be a discussion of pro-freedom records of candidates, D and R (and I suppose some L, I, and IG), then I agree it would be worth a sticky. If it's opinions, not so much.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I disagree with the predictions made here, but beyond that -- was this intended as an opinion thread? If so, I'll mark it ignored and motor on.

If it's to be a discussion of pro-freedom records of candidates, D and R (and I suppose some L, I, and IG), then I agree it would be worth a sticky. If it's opinions, not so much.

Oh...you always disagree Tess:p

I do think it's way early for a sticky though.

2a4all

It's about politics, so of course there'll be opinions. But more importantly, it's about gun politics, one of the hot button issues of the day.

The Senate seats are important because the current arrangement (20/20 + Republican Lt Guv) provided the necessary edge to get anti-gun bills killed (and there were plenty of them). As this is not a general senate election year, the senate makeup will only change because individual senators retire or seek higher office.

If that edge disappears, and it very well could, we'll need a pro-gun governor to veto anti-gun legislation if we even hope to keep what gun rights we currently have. The Force of Sandy Hook is Strong, and the Democrats are coming after this state.

Just the political ambitions of our own politicians alone could do us in.

I'm hoping to keep this in front of everyone as November approaches to engage their support for pro-gun candidates where ever a contest is occurring.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It's about politics, so of course there'll be opinions. But more importantly, it's about gun politics, one of the hot button issues of the day.

The Senate seats are important because the current arrangement (20/20 + Republican Lt Guv) provided the necessary edge to get anti-gun bills killed (and there were plenty of them). As this is not a general senate election year, the senate makeup will only change because individual senators retire or seek higher office.

If that edge disappears, and it very well could, we'll need a pro-gun governor to veto anti-gun legislation if we even hope to keep what gun rights we currently have. The Force of Sandy Hook is Strong, and the Democrats are coming after this state.

Just the political ambitions of our own politicians alone could do us in.

I'm hoping to keep this in front of everyone as November approaches to engage their support for pro-gun candidates where ever a contest is occurring.

Tess doesn't like Cuccinelli, which is perfectly her right, others don't either for other reasons. whatt you'll find is that it's all opinion until Cuccinelli is sworn in:banana:

Just kidding Tess...

What is a pro gun vote and what isn't is really a matter of opinion so that's all there will be. That, some bickering and a lot of chain pulling.
But starting it now is about two months too early I think.

Obenshain is the biggest question mark out of the 3 IMO. He's a personal friend, I'll support him unless he really goes out of bounds but because of him, I ain't voting so obviously, I won't vote for him.
He has other liabilities in other arenas too. He won't get behind Sunday hunting so he's not well loved by hunters (Excluding Dog Hunters which can't find the polls anyway)

See what the mods or John say about a sticky.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Tess doesn't like Cuccinelli, which is perfectly her right, others don't either for other reasons. whatt you'll find is that it's all opinion until Cuccinelli is sworn in:banana:

Just kidding Tess...

What is a pro gun vote and what isn't is really a matter of opinion so that's all there will be. That, some bickering and a lot of chain pulling.
But starting it now is about two months too early I think.

Obenshain is the biggest question mark out of the 3 IMO. He's a personal friend, I'll support him unless he really goes out of bounds but because of him, I ain't voting so obviously, I won't vote for him.
He has other liabilities in other arenas too. He won't get behind Sunday hunting so he's not well loved by hunters (Excluding Dog Hunters which can't find the polls anyway)

See what the mods or John say about a sticky.

That's what I was getting at - and yet you've mentioned my personal dislike for Cuccinelli twice. If we're talking specifics of candidates, I don't think a sticky is appropriate. If we're talking policies, balance of power, gun-rights stances, then perhaps it is. As of today, there is only one gubernatorial candidate on the ballot, two for LG, and two for AG. After the May convention, there will be more. At that point, it would be appropriate to discuss pro-rights, pro-freedom, pro-gun (or anti-all-of-the-above) stances.

(And since you stated it, but not clearly enough, I wouldn't vote for Cuccinelli if he were the only person on the ballot.)

Last edited:

2a4all

That's what I was getting at - and yet you've mentioned my personal dislike for Cuccinelli twice. If we're talking specifics of candidates, I don't think a sticky is appropriate. If we're talking policies, balance of power, gun-rights stances, then perhaps it is. As of today, there is only one gubernatorial candidate on the ballot, two for LG, and two for AG. After the May convention, there will be more. At that point, it would be appropriate to discuss pro-rights, pro-freedom, pro-gun (or anti-all-of-the-above) stances.

(And since you stated it, but not clearly enough, I wouldn't vote for Cuccinelli if he were the only person on the ballot.)
Actually, there are two gubernatorial candidates (or at least presumed nominees), Cuccinelli & McAuliffe.

What's troubling is the prospect of losing 2 republican senate seats because of political ambition and/or retirement. Democrats only need to gain one seat to restore their preferred balance of power. Without a Republican Governor to veto their legislation, the gun community is in trouble. Those replacement elections are localized, and will have heavy democratic support (think Bloomberg money). As an off-year election, voter turnout will be light, making the risk of seat loss even higher.

The Democrats are doing a primary. Maybe we can keep a desirable candidate off the ballot by voting in it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You've mentioned it enough in the past that it's not a secret Tess.

Thundar

Governor..Cuccinelli

I sure hope you are wrong Peter.

Governor: screwed by the cooch?

LT Governor: Stimpson, Snyder and Jackson are far better. Stimpson is out in the open supporting constitutional carry.

Attorney General: Bell is better.

The only thing more nauseating than the cooch is terry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I sure hope you are wrong Peter.

Governor: screwed by the cooch?

LT Governor: Stimpson, Snyder and Jackson are far better. Stimpson is out in the open supporting constitutional carry.

Attorney General: Bell is better.

You never know Thundar, this could be the year.

It's going to be very volatile between now and the election. There's a lot going on other than 2A and part of the traditional support base is doing the same as I am because of Voter ID.

As far as the question about how it concerns this board, we can't even discuss it until we know who will actuall be running and what holes are going to be left in the General Assembly.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Actually, there are two gubernatorial candidates (or at least presumed nominees), Cuccinelli & McAuliffe.

You're right; two presumed nominees. McAuliffe has been certified by the Dem party; he is the only actual nominee so far. The Reps still have time to do something to keep McAuliffe out, but they won't.

I believe unless the Republicans do something unforeseen at the convention, we'll be watching McAuliffe next year. That's scary.

Frankly, I don't give a flying pastry what party the candidates belong to; I ask only for reasonable stances on liberties, and I don't see that in either candidate.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Uh-oh. You're not going soft on us, Tess? There was a time you would be demanding expansion of liberties.

A reasonable stance is expansion, and neither the dem candidate nor the presumed rep candidate has such a good record on them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A reasonable stance is expansion, and neither the dem candidate nor the presumed rep candidate has such a good record on them.

The Dems never do Tess and Cuccinelli had an excellent record as Senator.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The Dems never do Tess and Cuccinelli had an excellent record as Senator.

No, he didn't ... introducing and supporting measures intended to restrict behaviors he doesn't like is NOT an excellent record of expanding liberties. He did not limit his interest to legislative affairs, either, evidence his whining about educational events held at state universities.

I am not in any way espousing a position that McAuliffe is a better candidate. I am flat-out stating that as of today we don't have a good candidate for governor in 2013.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No, he didn't ... introducing and supporting measures intended to restrict behaviors he doesn't like is NOT an excellent record of expanding liberties. He did not limit his interest to legislative affairs, either, evidence his whining about educational events held at state universities.

I am not in any way espousing a position that McAuliffe is a better candidate. I am flat-out stating that as of today we don't have a good candidate for governor in 2013.

Deciding if that is restricting inappropriate behavior is not an excellent record or not.... really depends on which way your moral compass is tilting Tess.

I happen to agree with many of his personal feelings but strongly believe the state has no business in deciding it.
That side of Cuccinelli apparently has widespread support though, because so far, it hasn't even been a bump in the road and I seriously doubt it will even be noticed this election.