• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bluegrass Airport

ZXguy

So I was just at the Bluegrass Airport in Lexington dropping a friend off when I noticed a sign on all the doors which I'd not seen before -- "No firearms beyond this point"

This was on the doors going into the public lobby of the airport.

First and foremost, I thought OC was allowed in such areas, just not behind the TSA line.

Secondly, and perhaps just as importantly, it makes traveling to another state with your gun secured in a lock box seemingly illegal (i.e., if you're moving to another state and want to legally check your firearms in at the gate).

Maybe someone can clarify?

09jisaac

I am no expert but I think that you are correct about allowing the firearm up to the secure areas.

I thought this was fixed. We'll have our local "experts" give us their opinion.

If I have to, and it is legal, then I'll walk through those doors.

DrakeZ07

Ive got a good friend thats a cop there ill ask and post what he says.

It's sadly becoming a small habit lately, people who ask a cop what they can and cannot do, then take their word as law.

Don't ask your 'friend' anything, consult our state laws, and if there is no law concerning your question, then you can either take it as being solved, or go to a Commonwealths Attorney, but I'd suggest you go to a paid private attorney who specializes is Firearms laws/cases, and ask for a free opinion.

Don't trust a single thing that a LEO says to you, they are legally allowed to lie and say whatever they can to try and coax you to confess, or to do, something illegal or suspicious; also, LEO's are -not- required to know any aspect of the law, that is for the Judge, and the Prosecuting attorney to know, the cops just write the tickets and make the arrests.

Cottonbaler

This is a violation of KRS 65.870

According to the Bluegrass Airport website, it is owned and operated by the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Airport Board, a 10-member board of directors appointed by the mayor of Lexington and confirmed by the Urban County Council.

KRS 65.870 states:

"(1) No existing or future city, county, urban-county government, charter county, consolidated local government, unified local government, special district, local or regional public or quasi-public agency, board, commission, department, public corporation, or any person acting under the authority of any of these organizations may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, purchase, taxation, transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, storage, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, components of ammunition, firearms accessories, or combination thereof."

I'm certain KC3 is already working on this but you may want to contact them to be sure. If not, then consult an attorney and consider suing them. Do not ask "a cop" and do not write a letter to the board. They had their chance to get in line with the new law and failed to do so. Now 65.870 gives us the ability to force them to remove the offending signage, they will be charged with a misdemeanor AND they have to pay our legal fees. Go back and read sections 4, 5 and 6 of 65.870. Quite a few "shalls" in those sections.

MrOverlay

It's sadly becoming a small habit lately, people who ask a cop what they can and cannot do, then take their word as law.

Don't ask your 'friend' anything, consult our state laws, and if there is no law concerning your question, then you can either take it as being solved, or go to a Commonwealths Attorney, but I'd suggest you go to a paid private attorney who specializes is Firearms laws/cases, and ask for a free opinion.

Don't trust a single thing that a LEO says to you, they are legally allowed to lie and say whatever they can to try and coax you to confess, or to do, something illegal or suspicious; also, LEO's are -not- required to know any aspect of the law, that is for the Judge, and the Prosecuting attorney to know, the cops just write the tickets and make the arrests.

While much of what you say is true, painting with a broad brush often gets paint where it doesn't belong.

I have been promoting gun ownership and usage for probably more years than you have been alive, although I stand to be corrected on that.

In my 23 years as a KSP Trooper I tried diligenty to provide correct and up to date information when asked. I also tried to answer questions asked of me as truthfully as I could.

I fully realize and admit that there are officers who make me ashamed that they wear a badge, but that doesn't mean all are bad.

I see almost every profession known to man doing a perp walk at one time or another on television or in the newspaper.

I would rather judge each individual on their own merits.

09jisaac

While much of what you say is true, painting with a broad brush often gets paint where it doesn't belong.

I think that maybe Drake didn't paint with a broad enough brush.

You should never trust anyone's advice on the law unless you are willing to bet your freedom on it. Officers, like everyone else, perpetuate myths. I have no doubt that most people do this only because they think it is fact.

self preservation

You should never trust anyone's advice on the law unless you are willing to bet your freedom on it. Officers, like everyone else, perpetuate myths. I have no doubt that most people do this only because they think it is fact.

I can see Mr. Overlays point as well as I can see yours. I always check for myself, and encourage everyone else to do the same. But sometimes I'll ask LEO just to see how far they are off. Sometimes they are miles off and sometimes they are dead on. It's just a good learning experience for me to do so....not to mention somewhat entertaining.

MrOverlay

Yep even those who are in prison today because of their lawyers performance or lack thereof.

Last edited:

LEX_XDM40compact

Can someone please inform me of the status or what became of this issue?

Today 5/26/13 I went to Bluegrass Airport to pick up my fiancee before I departed I searched here and found this same thread, Thinking the open carry and no firearms signs had been fixed, So naturally I was dressed to open carry to pick her up. I was wrong. Every front main entrance door had the following sign " No firearms beyond this point". Not wanting to walk thru a door labeled this mainly due to I really didn't have the time today to deal with any encounters related so i simply walked to my truck and secured my firearm inside.

I have carried in the Louisville Airport in the last 2 months prob a half dozen times as I never once have walked thru a door there that had any signs related to firearms.

Long story short, Why the heck are the signs back up at Bluegrass Airport?

2e84bd24.jpg

Rick H

Here is what I found.

http://www.bluegrassairport.com/documents/lfucabRulesandRegs-3.pdf

This is from their official download site on firearms regulations

14. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS No Person (excluding Airport Public Safety Officers, commissioned law enforcement officers, Federal Air Marshals, Federal Flight Deck Officers and government commissioned peace officers) may carry, possess, use or store any Firearm, ammunition, explosive or destructive device or other deadly Weapons in any form inside the Passenger Terminal or on Airport property, except to the extent that Firearms or Weapons (excluding explosives) are properly encased for shipment with an airline to be lawfully transported on an Aircraft as cargo or checked baggage and actually delivered to an airline before the Person approaches the security checkpoint. No Person shall: A. B. C. D. Release an arrow from a bow, crossbow or longbow within or over Airport property unless approved by the Executive Director or designee. Discharge any Firearm or Weapon while within the confines of Airport property, except for Airport Public Safety Officers, other Law Enforcement Officers, Airport Operations Personnel, or other Personnel authorized by the Executive Director or designee. Discharge any device capable of propelling a capsule which upon impact with a Person or object will release a dye, colorant, water, pellet, BB, ball bearing, pebble or rock on Airport property without authorization from the Executive Director or designee. Other than government commissioned law enforcement Personnel, carry a concealed Weapon even when possessing the appropriate Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons (CCDW) permit on any area of the Airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of Persons and property or where the carrying of Firearms is prohibited by law

LEX_XDM40compact

http://www.bluegrassairport.com/documents/lfucabRulesandRegs-3.pdf

This is from their official download site on firearms regulations

14. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS No Person (excluding Airport Public Safety Officers, commissioned law enforcement officers, Federal Air Marshals, Federal Flight Deck Officers and government commissioned peace officers) may carry, possess, use or store any Firearm, ammunition, explosive or destructive device or other deadly Weapons in any form inside the Passenger Terminal or on Airport property, except to the extent that Firearms or Weapons (excluding explosives) are properly encased for shipment with an airline to be lawfully transported on an Aircraft as cargo or checked baggage and actually delivered to an airline before the Person approaches the security checkpoint. No Person shall: A. B. C. D. Release an arrow from a bow, crossbow or longbow within or over Airport property unless approved by the Executive Director or designee. Discharge any Firearm or Weapon while within the confines of Airport property, except for Airport Public Safety Officers, other Law Enforcement Officers, Airport Operations Personnel, or other Personnel authorized by the Executive Director or designee. Discharge any device capable of propelling a capsule which upon impact with a Person or object will release a dye, colorant, water, pellet, BB, ball bearing, pebble or rock on Airport property without authorization from the Executive Director or designee. Other than government commissioned law enforcement Personnel, carry a concealed Weapon even when possessing the appropriate Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons (CCDW) permit on any area of the Airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of Persons and property or where the carrying of Firearms is prohibited by law

Isn't the sole fact that the headline title of that document reads "LEXINGTON-FAYETTE URBAN COUNTY
AIRPORT BOARD" deems the airport or that document of KRS 65.870? http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/065-00/870.pdf

I dont understand how the first point of firearms mentions basically its not allowed in any form to carry on any part of the property yet 14 D reads "Airport to which access is controlled by the inspection
of Persons and property or where the carrying of Firearms is prohibited by law." which would mean past security which we all know we cant carry?

Would love some input as me going to the bluegrass airport quite often to pick up friends and family and judging by their little handbook its not allowed to carry even to do so.

Cottonbaler

See post #7 above:

BGA is run by a Board. They are in violation of KRS 65.870. Hire a lawyer and go get 'em. The Board will be found guilty of a misdemeanor, they will take down the signs and they will cover your legal expenses.

LEX_XDM40compact

Can someone please inform me of the status or what became of this issue?

Today 5/26/13 I went to Bluegrass Airport to pick up my fiancee before I departed I searched here and found this same thread, Thinking the open carry and no firearms signs had been fixed, So naturally I was dressed to open carry to pick her up. I was wrong. Every front main entrance door had the following sign " No firearms beyond this point". Not wanting to walk thru a door labeled this mainly due to I really didn't have the time today to deal with any encounters related so i simply walked to my truck and secured my firearm inside.

I have carried in the Louisville Airport in the last 2 months prob a half dozen times as I never once have walked thru a door there that had any signs related to firearms.

Long story short, Why the heck are the signs back up at Bluegrass Airport?

2e84bd24.jpg

I know this is a old post bump but wanted to keep it alive to note this sign is STILL posted on every entrance to the Bluegrass Airport, and I am still confused if this is in violation of KRS 65.870 or not :|

bunnspecial

Gutshot, thank you again for your continued work on this. I have started writing emails, and will continue to do so in the morning!