Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Puyallup Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14

    Puyallup Carry

    I was doing a little looking around as the other day a friend and I were near Pioneer Park in downtown Puyallup. Noticed the sign saying no firearms and decided to find out if anything has been done. Found a bit on the forum about trying to get it amended under state preemption. Although the sign is still in the park I did find this: http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/files/...69f0e0299d.pdf

    Looks like they have now come into line with state laws. But I didn't see anyone mention the amendment here.

    Jared
    Last edited by confused597; 04-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member DCKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wet Side, WA
    Posts
    527
    A bit of an oversight, Bradley Lake Park has white tape over the "firearms prohibited" part. A short email might take care of that.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup WA
    Posts
    104
    Looks like it only exempts a LEO in the line of duty from discharging a firearm in the park. If a person were to defend himself with a legal CCW you might be in trouble. Not acceptable.

  4. #4
    Regular Member DCKilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wet Side, WA
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by devldogs55 View Post
    Looks like it only exempts a LEO in the line of duty from discharging a firearm in the park. If a person were to defend himself with a legal CCW you might be in trouble. Not acceptable.
    RCW 9.41.300 (2) (A), your opinion doesn't match state law.

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by confused597 View Post
    I was doing a little looking around as the other day a friend and I were near Pioneer Park in downtown Puyallup. Noticed the sign saying no firearms and decided to find out if anything has been done. Found a bit on the forum about trying to get it amended under state preemption. Although the sign is still in the park I did find this: http://www.cityofpuyallup.org/files/...69f0e0299d.pdf

    Looks like they have now come into line with state laws. But I didn't see anyone mention the amendment here.

    Jared
    Jared, their wording does not include an exemption for citizens use for protection as provided for by our Washington State Constitution Art 1 Sec 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

    RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

    (2)Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

    (a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

    (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

    (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

    (ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

    This issue when addressed could have been resolved by someone following through with the city and now someone in the area needs to address the issue again to avoid misinterpreting.

    I find their reasoning to change the law to begin with, ie needing a cpl to open or concealed carry in a park with the exceptions in 9.41.060.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 1911er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Orchard Wa. /Granite Oklahoma
    Posts
    836
    Maybe we could save the taxpayers some money and Have A white tape party at Pioneer Park.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

    DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

    All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Puyallup WA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by DCKilla View Post
    RCW 9.41.300 (2) (A), your opinion doesn't match state law.
    I know what the state law is, and unless I'm reading the city code wrong (which is entirely possible), it's what the city is saying that doesn't match state law - not my opinion.

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    a few years ago we had a OC meet at the park. Other than 2 officers sitting in their cars in the parking lot, nothing came of it.


  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137

    Duct tape

    easy, economical, and can be done in less than a minute.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Jared, their wording does not include an exemption for citizens use for protection as provided for by our Washington State Constitution Art 1 Sec 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

    RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

    (2)Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

    (a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

    (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

    (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or

    (ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

    This issue when addressed could have been resolved by someone following through with the city and now someone in the area needs to address the issue again to avoid misinterpreting.

    I find their reasoning to change the law to begin with, ie needing a cpl to open or concealed carry in a park with the exceptions in 9.41.060.


    I'd say at best it's hazy on the issue of discharge. Although it says: A law enforcement officer acting pursuant to lawful authority is exempt from this subsection. Nowhere does it say a citizen can't discharge a firearm in self defense...it just says you can't shoot in the park without a permit obtained from the parks director. But still makes no specific mention of shooting in self defense. If it doesn't say it's illegal, it's legal.

    Jared

  11. #11
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by confused597 View Post
    I'd say at best it's hazy on the issue of discharge. Although it says: A law enforcement officer acting pursuant to lawful authority is exempt from this subsection. Nowhere does it say a citizen can't discharge a firearm in self defense...it just says you can't shoot in the park without a permit obtained from the parks director. But still makes no specific mention of shooting in self defense. If it doesn't say it's illegal, it's legal.

    Jared
    The issue about discharge is clear as the State Legislature has provides for the city or counties to pass ordinances restricting area's what is misleading is they exempt law enforcement as for what ever reason who knows. State law provides for the use of force where ever you have a legal right to be. Clearly their ordinance is pooooorly written.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •