• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Crimes

bushi01

I am wondering if there is any documentation out there that will tell me how many gun crimes have been committed in this state by permit holders.

Thanks in advance.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You bet ... in courthouses .... in the jurisdictions/venues that pull licenses

You wish to show that people with permits commit low crimes I assume.

You can do this w/o the need to examine ALL places in CT ... do by a sampling process ... if you know the number of permits issued in a location and you can ID the # permit holders (or number of permits pulled - specific ID of the criminal is not necessarily required, right?) who committed crimes then you can do such an analysis.

You MAY be able to ask to inspect redacted records (records sans any IDing information) from a town that has pulled permits for being involved in gun crimes ... and the town may be able to give you an estimate or accurate # of permits issued.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0461.htm talks about what information is NOT available under a FOIA request ... does not seem to include ALL information, just names and addresses.

So I think that you could go to a town, ask for permit records sans names and addresses and permit revocation records

Go to town after town until one says "OK, here are the redacted records" .... (some might just give you the # or permit holders - which would save both parties time) ... or go to one town and if they deny, file a FOIC complaint, wait a year for a ruling....

If you are not willing to do this work and are looking for a study already done; I know of none, but others might post.

WalkingWolf

I am wondering if there is any documentation out there that will tell me how many gun crimes have been committed in this state by permit holders.

Thanks in advance.

There was some information on NC permit holders by a New York news source, I'll try to find it. But if you are looking for some study to vindicate permit holders as super citizens you will be disappointed. A permit is a permit, just like a drivers license, it has no control of the people holding it. In the findings on NC they found not only that permit holders committed crimes, but that there were felons with permits. While those percentages were small they were probably within the percentages of crime committed by the population as a whole.

A firearm does not a criminal make, and a permit does not make noble.

Please remember this is a article by the progressive media, permit holders are not anymore criminals then non permit holders, but none the less some will commit crimes. I am against the sole means of bearing arms being permits, I do not think privilege papers are what our founders had in mind. But permits can coexist with rights as long as they are separated as they are in NC, OC is a right, and CC is a privilege. Holding up permits as a talisman for a right in the long run is a losing proposition, IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/u...e-in-the-wrong-hands.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited: