• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On Vacation

DooFster

I'm with the wife and children in Can't-have-your-gun-eee-forn-ya (CA) and I must say that I feel really odd not having the sidearm on. I feel like I am missing something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jfrey123

We often travel there to visit friends and take advantage of some of the great locations there. Cali law is pretty good at self defense of a dwelling, and defines a dwelling as everything from hotels to campsites, so I've always taken comfort in that. However, driving around with a gun in a locked case and walking around defenseless sucks.

DooFster

Any kind of OC is illegal and trying to get a CCW is pretty much impossible. You need to get the sheriff to approve it. The San Bernardino sheriff and a couple others will approve it but the rest deny you 99.9% of the time. You need a job that is in gold or precious metals and gems to get approved or an armed job...

FallonJeeper

Any kind of OC is illegal and trying to get a CCW is pretty much impossible. You need to get the sheriff to approve it. The San Bernardino sheriff and a couple others will approve it but the rest deny you 99.9% of the time. You need a job that is in gold or precious metals and gems to get approved or an armed job...

I thought unloaded OC was still legal in unincorporated areas, and loaded OC was still legal on BLM land if shooting is permitted. Also in your home or camp site.

28kfps

Nope... 100% illegal anywhere...

I do not know what the CA laws are however work with several whom live in CA and many are hunters and hunt in CA. If the assumption of legal hunting areas allow for open carried firearm is not much help for the traveler that wants the protection of a firearm all the time. I could be wrong however; I do believe you 100% illegal anywhere is incorrect.

FallonJeeper

Can you cite? My understanding of the latest legislation was open carry, unloaded hand gun, in incorporated areas was deemed illegal as of Jan 2012. However long guns were not yet addressed. And as I indicated before, hand gun, unloaded open carry was still legal in unincorporated areas, and loaded OC was still legal on BLM land if shooting is permitted. Also in your home or camp site.

I've not seen or heard of any legislation to change that.

Last edited:

turborich

I'm pretty sure that open carry is now illegal. I've also read that governor Brown also signed a law into effect making open carry of long guns illegal as well. Perhaps it hasn't went into effect yet?

DooFster

I'm pretty sure that open carry is now illegal. I've also read that governor Brown also signed a law into effect making open carry of long guns illegal as well. Perhaps it hasn't went into effect yet?

I used to live in CA from February '06 to December '11 and the bans went into effect January 1st, 2012...for both OC of handguns AND OC of long guns...to include BLM and unincorporated areas.

FallonJeeper

I'm sure it feels that way, because knowing the borders of incorporated, un-incorporated and unincorporated prohibited areas is difficult, but here's the California Penal Code 26350, w,hich is included in AB144http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0101-0150/ab_144_bill_20111009_chaptered.pdf, I was asking to be cited. I've highlighted the prohibited areas in the Crime paragraph.

Open carry is NOT 100% unlawful. I clipped the sections that generally apply to carry exceptions. Please read the code carefully.

Article 1. Crime of Openly Carrying an Unloaded Handgun
Section 26350.
a) (1) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an exposed and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the following:
(A) A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.
(2) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded handgun when that person carries an exposed and unloaded handgun inside or on a vehicle, whether or not on his or her person, while in or on any of the following:
(A) A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

Article 2. Exemptions
Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open carrying of an unloaded handgun by a licensed hunter while engaged in hunting or while transporting that handgun when going to or returning from that hunting expedition.
Paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open carrying of an unloaded handgun by a person when done within a place of business, a place of residence, or on private property, if done with the permission of a person who, by virtue of subdivision (a) of Section 25605, may carry openly an unloaded handgun within that place of business, place of residence, or on that private property owned or lawfully possessed by that person.
Section 26350 does not apply to, or affect, the open carrying of an unloaded handgun on publicly owned land, if the possession and use of a handgun is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land and the person carrying that handgun is in lawful possession of that handgun.

I am not a lawyer, but the way I read this,
1. It is legal to carry on your person in an un-incorporated city or on any public street in an area of unincorporated territory, where otherwise not prohibited.
2. you can carry when hunting (common sense)
3. you can carry in your place of business, if you are an officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful purposes connected with that business.
4. you can carry at your place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

If you can find/cite another California Penal Code, I will admit I am incorrect. Unless you can provide a more recent legislation, this is what I'm going by.

There is also California Penal Code 12031 almost exactly the same and references loaded carry. The 26350 was basically written to match the loaded carry so open carry and loaded carry are basically the same.

(a)(1)A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

(h)Nothing in this section shall prevent any person engaged in any lawful business, including a nonprofit organization, or any officer, employee, or agent authorized by that person for lawful purposes connected with that business, from having a loaded firearm within the person's place of business, or any person in lawful possession of private property from having a loaded firearm on that property.

(i)Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from carrying a loaded firearm in an area within an incorporated city while engaged in hunting, provided that the hunting at that place and time is not prohibited by the city council.

(l)Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

Personally, I go to Cailfornia about once a month, or every other month. While in my vehicle, I unload and lock my firearm in a case, at the Nevada/California State line. It stays there until I get to my destination, usually a camp site. Depending on where I am, incorporated, unincorporated, or unincorporated prohibited, will determine if I carry.

Last edited:

28kfps

DooFster I understand where you are coming from as far as OCing for self-defense in CA.. For those of us use to living in a non-communist state, CA. laws might as well be 100% illegal anywhere. However, OCing 100% illegal anywhere in CA is not accurate.
CA still issues hunting licenses to hunt some of the typical hunting, birds, pigs, deer, and such.
Below is an article that has some info on the 2011 CA open carry ban.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/10/10/california-bans-open-carry-of-handguns/