• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping OC with a campfire?

NoVaJohn

With some warmer weather coming the wife and I are hoping to do some hiking/camping over the next few days. We don't have CHPs yet so it needs to be somewhere that OC is allowed.

I've been trying to sort through the relevant sticky and lots of other threads, but with all the different and changing laws I'm left stilling trying to figure out where we can go camping with OC and be able to make a campfire.

If I've been reading correctly OC is OK in a National Park in VA (Shenandoah National Park), but you can't make campfires? (Campsites allow fires but aren't open yet, and backcountry camping fires are prohibited)

And in a National Forest in VA (George Washington National Forest) you can make campfires but you can't OC?

In VA State Parks you can only OC in designated hunting areas?

The sticky here mentions that OC is OK in VA State Forests:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries
but their current website only mentions CC by people with CHP:
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/stforest/regs/amendment-handguns.htm
Was this ever sorted?

Bottomline where can we camp with some protection and a campfire?

Thanks,
NoVaJohn

NoVaJohn

Thanks guys. What about over night in the tent? Can I conceal because it's like my residence/place I'm staying?