• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Camping and Carrying?

LEX_XDM40compact

So as I do a lot in the summer i plan on camping. However before this year I have not owned a handgun. Since i do now i was curious how "Open carry" would be handled via camping or to be more specific while in my tent?

By the time I get out and camp I should have my CDW ( seems people have been saying its taking a bit longer then normal to get them back now days?!) and none of this will really matter, but for the case that i dont have it.

How do you think I should "store" it while im sleeping in my tent? Would for the night my tent be considered my home and i can do whatever I want with it?

Mind me when I camp its both off path from hiking and randomly finding a spot in the woods. And at a "camp ground" so both situations would be nice to have answers to.

-Mike

DrakeZ07

So as I do a lot in the summer i plan on camping. However before this year I have not owned a handgun. Since i do now i was curious how "Open carry" would be handled via camping or to be more specific while in my tent?

By the time I get out and camp I should have my CDW ( seems people have been saying its taking a bit longer then normal to get them back now days?!) and none of this will really matter, but for the case that i dont have it.

How do you think I should "store" it while im sleeping in my tent? Would for the night my tent be considered my home and i can do whatever I want with it?

Mind me when I camp its both off path from hiking and randomly finding a spot in the woods. And at a "camp ground" so both situations would be nice to have answers to.

-Mike

Just OC, and carry on like you normally while doing normal events. Myself personally, usually when I go camping, it's with a 'friend', when the sun sets, we're around a fire, I'll put it on top of a empty seat, on top of the water cooler, or on a rock near the seating, and only when carrying it on my hip would be impractical. As far as the tent situation goes, I'm not sure, I just put it in the lil pocket at the entrance of the tent, its big, bulky, and black, anyone with a flashlight or who isnt blind, can make out the shape, and outline of it during the day, or the shadow of it at night with the tent-lights on. [I seem to attract 'friends' who prefer the light on, even in the middle of a populated campground...]

And as for the longer than usual wait times on the CDWL, if I'm not mistaken, they have 60 days to either deny the license, or approve it.

LEX_XDM40compact

Just OC, and carry on like you normally while doing normal events. Myself personally, usually when I go camping, it's with a 'friend', when the sun sets, we're around a fire, I'll put it on top of a empty seat, on top of the water cooler, or on a rock near the seating, and only when carrying it on my hip would be impractical. As far as the tent situation goes, I'm not sure, I just put it in the lil pocket at the entrance of the tent, its big, bulky, and black, anyone with a flashlight or who isnt blind, can make out the shape, and outline of it during the day, or the shadow of it at night with the tent-lights on. [I seem to attract 'friends' who prefer the light on, even in the middle of a populated campground...]

And as for the longer than usual wait times on the CDWL, if I'm not mistaken, they have 60 days to either deny the license, or approve it.

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the pocket on the side of the tent only due to if being both semi readily available and like mentioned very obvious of what it is. as for the "friends" been there done that!

Yeah i had one person tell me it was 30 and one tell me it was 90. Ill have to search up on the state police site again sometime soon. to tired now!

-Mike

edit: "The Kentucky State Police shall either issue a license or send a denial notice within 90 days after the date of receipt of the following items:"

seems its dam near 3 months already lol I can only hope mine comes back before then.

Last edited: