• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Dogs Attack. Self Defense Against Animals?

Mr Face

Any person with a small amount of common sense knows that dogs charge at a alarming rate, much faster than a person. They are capable of 30 mph bursts of speed. I would hardly think any reasonable person being charged by a animal intent on doing harm would be thinking of video taping it. It is either a joke or lunacy.

I was mauled by a border collie as a child, a breed that is normally thought of as docile, they are fast, very fast.

The Border Collie — Built For Speed And Cornering
Long acknowledged for being one of the top Einsteins in the dog world, the workaholic Border Collie is designed to move quickly and make hairpin turns in order to direct large flocks over what are sometimes long distances. Border Collies can corner like fine sports cars, maintaining control and speed through turns, skills that also serve them well in canine sports such as agility, fly ball and flying disc competitions. These black-and-white torpedoes have been clocked at speeds of up to 30 mph. And noted for their intense gaze, Border Collies are recognized for keeping their eye on the prize.

“To be honest, in a race between a Greyhound and a Border Collie, my bets will always be on the Border Collie,” Dr. Zink says.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/fastest-dogs-in-the-world_n_1914037.html#slide=1568419

Once again, do you have evidence of the size or breed of the neighbor's pet involved in the thead starters incident? Do you have special knowledge of the intent of the neighbor's pet? Was anybody actually attacked and bitten in the previous incident mentioned or the current one?

We are debating over an incident involving a neighbor's pet that could have been a large dog such as a mature German Shepard or a small dog such as a miniature poodle. It is actually quite redundant since neither you or I know the facts.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Once again, do you have evidence of the size or breed of the neighbor's pet involved in the thead starters incident? Do you have special knowledge of the intent of the neighbor's pet? Was anybody actually attacked and bitten in the previous incident mentioned or the current one?

We are debating over an incident involving a neighbor's pet that could have been a large dog such as a mature German Shepard or a small dog such as a miniature poodle. It is actually quite redundant since neither you or I know the facts.

:lol: Where ya from there, Face?

Last edited:

benraines

Not a good plan kicking and then threatening to kill your neighbor's pet. Sometimes payback can be a #####. One has to be very, very sure about what constitutes provocation in order to kill someone's pet. It does not take much to be charged with felony animal cruelty or abuse.

If I were attacked and able to fend off the animal and it resulted in the death of the animal so be it. I would not just let it rip me to pieces befire I took action.

I lost part of one of my fingers bout five years ago when a dog lunged at me. He was very fast an I could not move fast enough before he bit me. That 1ST bite removed about two inches of flesh from my pinky finger on my right hand. The 2ND or 3RD bite punched a hole through the palm of my left hand. The 3RD or 2ND bite he locked down on my right hand punching a hole through from top and out my palm. Strangely the pain did not begin for 3 or 4 minutes after he broke off the attack. I do not think I will wait for a dog to get close just to see what happens next time.

WalkingWolf

If I were attacked and able to fend off the animal and it resulted in the death of the animal so be it. I would not just let it rip me to pieces befire I took action.

I lost part of one of my fingers bout five years ago when a dog lunged at me. He was very fast an I could not move fast enough before he bit me. That 1ST bite removed about two inches of flesh from my pinky finger on my right hand. The 2ND or 3RD bite punched a hole through the palm of my left hand. The 3RD or 2ND bite he locked down on my right hand punching a hole through from top and out my palm. Strangely the pain did not begin for 3 or 4 minutes after he broke off the attack. I do not think I will wait for a dog to get close just to see what happens next time.

I will not take chances, if a dog charges, it gets shot. I will not be mauled ever again. Same goes for animals that run loose on the highway. They get in my way they get run over. I suggest the pet owners actually take care of their pets, instead of whining about their animals being shot or run over.

Last edited:

AaronS

Not a good plan kicking and then threatening to kill your neighbor's pet. Sometimes payback can be a #####. One has to be very, very sure about what constitutes provocation in order to kill someone's pet. It does not take much to be charged with felony animal cruelty or abuse.

If I am ever walking my dog, and your dog comes running at me, full force, off leash, teeth out and the whole nine yards??? I will stop the threat, to the best of my ability. Your dog will not win his last fight with me if I see him comming.
And, you should have never owned it in the first place.

Interceptor_Knight

It looks like there are different rules for on or off of your own property regarding another dog attacking yours....

174.01  Restraining action against dogs.
(1)  Killing a dog.
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), a person may intentionally kill a dog only if a person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary.
(b) A person may intentionally kill a dog if a domestic animal that is owned or in the custody of the person is threatened with serious bodily harm by the dog and the dog is on property owned or controlled by the person and:
1. Other restraining actions were tried and failed; or
2. Immediate action is necessary.
(2) Inapplicable to officers, veterinarians, and persons killing their own dog. This section does not apply to an officer acting in the lawful performance of his or her duties under s. 29.921 (7), 95.21, 173.23 (1m) (c), (3), or (4), or 174.02 (3), or to a veterinarian killing a dog in a proper and humane manner, or to a person killing his or her own dog in a proper and humane manner.
(3) Liability and penalties. A person who violates this section:
(a) Is liable to the owner of the dog for double damages resulting from the killing;
(b) Is subject to the penalties provided under s. 174.15; and
(c) May be subject to prosecution, depending on the circumstances of the case, under s. 951.02.

Last edited:

MKEgal

If you don't want to shoop the attacking dog, how about the old standbys of wasp spray & oven cleaner?
Wasp spray has a pretty good range.

Plankton said:
Where ya from there, Face?
Same place all his other accounts are from. Same old stalker. And now he's playing with 2 at once, answering himself.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
If you don't want to shoop the attacking dog, how about the old standbys of wasp spray & oven cleaner?

I wouldn't shoop the dog if I could avoid it. The problem is when I walk my dogs....I have two of them so both my hands are occupied with leashes. I have always controlled my dogs and they have never attacked anyone or any other dog in the 11/10 years I've had them. I walk them at least three times a day and have never had an issue until now.

I don't think oven cleaner or wasp spray would be a good idea even if I was able to use it. It's very caustic and would damage eyes, nose, etc including my own dog(s) and myself as well and possibly the person attached to the attacking dog (if he/she is still attached). I've got pepper spray that is legal in Wisconsin but once again I only have two hands so I would end up using my booted foot again to fend off the attacking dog or other animal (such as Beavers!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWkTw9nDEk

There doesn't seem to be an easy fix for this since it boils down to the owners of the animals being responsible and maintaining control of their animal(s) at all times.

Thanks to Interceptor (IIRC) for posting the link to statute 174! That is very useful.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and ideas.

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

It is a Federal Law violation to use pesticides for other than their intended purpose.
"in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."
You may as well use something designed to discourage an animal attack... available at Fleet Farm or Dick's, etc..
pDSP1-8907978p275w.jpg

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10842462

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Jogger Shoots Two Dogs to Defend Himself, His Own Pet
http://www.kolotv.com. ^ | Posted: Sun 2:27 PM, Apr 14, 2013 A | kolo

Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:35:22 PM by redreno

RENO, Nev. -- Shots rang out in a Stead neighborhood early Sunday afternoon after two pit bulls attacked a jogger and his dog.

It happened on Rising Sun Drive. Police say the man lives in the area and was jogging in a residential area when the pit bulls attacked.

"Two loose, unrestrained pit bulls attacked his dog and when he tried to separate the pit bulls and his dog, the pit bulls attacked him," said Sgt. Joe Lever of the Reno Police Department. "He was jogging with a concealed firearm which he has a permit for. He discharged the firearm twice, striking one dog who died instantly. We followed a blood trail and found the other in a backyard with a through-and-through wound."

Police say the dog was standing when they found it and was rushed to a nearby animal hospital

Mr Face

I will not take chances, if a dog charges, it gets shot. I will not be mauled ever again. Same goes for animals that run loose on the highway. They get in my way they get run over. I suggest the pet owners actually take care of their pets, instead of whining about their animals being shot or run over.

The above is a very good example of what not to do in Wisconsin.

WalkingWolf

Same place all his other accounts are from. Same old stalker. And now he's playing with 2 at once, answering himself.

I hope he knows that if one of his dogs harms a person his posts on here can be used as evidence against him.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Know that for a fact do ya? Where is your cite?

Name calling is very immature.

Uh uh. Not gonna bite.

Where is your cite that either of those two things is a "bad idea" (implied: illegal) in Wisconsin? That's how it works: you cite laws which exist, not laws which don't.

Incidentally, "troll" is an observation of displayed behavior. It's no more "name-calling" than to point out that a person who's lying is, in fact, a liar.

Name-calling is when I call you **** Face.

Last edited:

Mr Face

Uh uh. Not gonna bite.

Where is your cite that either of those two things is a "bad idea" (implied: illegal) in Wisconsin? That's how it works: you cite laws which exist, not laws which don't.

Incidentally, "troll" is an observation of displayed behavior. It's no more "name-calling" than to point out that a person who's lying is, in fact, a liar.

Name-calling is when I call you **** Face.

I implied nothing. I said bad idea, no more no less. You have no idea what I meant unless you be a mind reader and that is extremely ridiculous.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I implied nothing. I said bad idea, no more no less.

False.

Saying something is a "bad idea" implies consequences. Only legal consequences are of relevance here. Therefore, you implied legal consequences by saying "bad idea".

QED.

And now I'm done toying with the silly troll.

eye95ing on.

Last edited: