• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Illinois

kurt555gs

I agree JT. HB997 started as an unpleasant but acceptable comprise with Chicago. It's not any more. We still have the FOID card so Illinois will not be Constitutional Carry . We will be more like Pennsylvania where we have a license to carry with the FOID card. I don't feel any particular need for 10 hours of training plus live fire plus duty to inform.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I agree JT. HB997 started as an unpleasant but acceptable comprise with Chicago. It's not any more. We still have the FOID card so Illinois will not be Constitutional Carry . We will be more like Pennsylvania where we have a license to carry with the FOID card. I don't feel any particular need for 10 hours of training plus live fire plus duty to inform.
If Chicago (and everyplace else) can pass their own laws, then why is everyone counting down with such glee?

WalkingWolf

If Chicago (and everyplace else) can pass their own laws, then why is everyone counting down with such glee?

You have to remember that a ruling by federal court does not exclude Chicago, home rule is a system of laws for ILLINOIS courts, not federal. I believe any arrest on home rule will end right back in the 7th federal court, and that city will be spanked appropriately. If the courts say it is unconstitutional to deny the right to carry then it is so. Unless the court made special provisions for home rule, and as far as I know, they did not.

When a court rules a practice or law unconstitutional it is VOID, no matter who puts a law in place. Unless a higher court overrules the 7th, which I suspect may happen. The only way Chicago can get around constitutional carry is to enact a concealed carry law before or after June 9th, and then it will have to meet the courts muster.

SteveInCO

Hoping for the best here.

If I understand it right, only 21 days to go.

I had occasion to go to dinner near Schaumberg with some people who live in the area, and they are pissed as hell at this judge for striking down the law. boo hoo, let me call the waaaaaahmbulance.

Good luck. If Wisconsin can turn around maybe you can too. Personally I prefer to have both the OC and CC options open.

WalkingWolf

Within the last 6 months, the Belleville PD chief had an article in the local paper, the Belleville News-Democrat (bnd.com), in which he stated his support for CC. This is despite the fact that Madison & St. Clair counties have been described as "judicial hellholes" and both are very heavily Democratic (Chicago South heavy).
A couple of days ago, a BPD patrol officer was sitting in his cruiser in the shade of a tree in a parking lot. I pulled up beside him and asked if the Department has provided any instructions about the 6/9 deadline. He said "No" and he believed the Legislature would come up with "something" before they recess on 5/30. He also "warned" me not to try the injuction on/after the 9th. Time will tell.

18 days.

His warning is pretty much toothless, as the current Illinois law will be void after 6/9.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...The only way Chicago can get around constitutional carry is to enact a concealed carry law before or after June 9th, and then it will have to meet the courts muster.
Which in itself is sickening - because a CCW law would eliminate any RIGHT to keep and bear arms while in IL, and turn it into a privilege.

I don't know - -I'm not trusting the courts to enforce constitutional carry, which is the logical outgrowth of the court's (7th Circuit?) ruling.

I'm puzzled as to why the Illinois RKBA orgs aren't saying (essentially) "Bite me!" - you jerks in $hitcago had your opportunity, now suck eggs!

I'm also puzzled as to why there hasn't been more discussion about what is going to be legal and illegal after June 9th...

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Which in itself is sickening - because a CCW law would eliminate any RIGHT to keep and bear arms while in IL, and turn it into a privilege.

I don't know - -I'm not trusting the courts to enforce constitutional carry, which is the logical outgrowth of the court's (7th Circuit?) ruling.

I'm puzzled as to why the Illinois RKBA orgs aren't saying (essentially) "Bite me!" - you jerks in $hitcago had your opportunity, now suck eggs!

I'm also puzzled as to why there hasn't been more discussion about what is going to be legal and illegal after June 9th...

IMO, if the laws are void come June 9th, then there are no laws except the wildlife laws on carry. With no laws making it illegal to carry, it will be legal because what is not illegal, is legal. Of course a court is probably going to have to do the right thing, because I am sure Chicago will make arrests on the void law, and it will be forced into the courts again.

It is a shame that Illinois is not in the 4th circuit, because of the Black ruling. Without RAS for a search here in NC police cannot charge or search for a concealed weapon. We went shopping for a Ruger LCP today for the Mrs as a result of that ruling. Most of my other guns in the summer would print on her, the LCP won't.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

A brown sandwich, but what speaker Madigan wants speaker Madigan gets.

XD40sc

Wish you guys luck on you legislature failing to act probably through arrogance and incompetency.

Next you gotta get rid of that FOID card. As I understand it, it has an expiration date, meaning your ability to own a gun has an expiration date, unless you renew.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Phelps AND Madigan announced a new joint concealed carry bill in Illinois today. (Madigan is the leader of the dark side.. Chicago Machine.. speaker of the house)...
This is a $hit sandwich if there every was one. How can Madigan shove something like this through when a bill which was substantially better came so close to passing? It makes no sense.

If it passes, it's a damn shame. The 60 votes needed to improve things can also be the 60 votes to make things worse - and am I wrong that they needed 60 votes to pass the better bill?

The whole thing blows major chunks.

WalkingWolf

I hope you guys make your opinions known on this crapola bill, it is a shame when pro gun has the upper hand, and they resort to this.

BE the squeaky wheel, tell this bum NO!

Last edited:

kurt555gs

This is a $hit sandwich if there every was one. How can Madigan shove something like this through when a bill which was substantially better came so close to passing? It makes no sense.

If it passes, it's a damn shame. The 60 votes needed to improve things can also be the 60 votes to make things worse - and am I wrong that they needed 60 votes to pass the better bill?

Do the 60 vote people realize that Madigan has an absolute majority in the House. I would look for this brown sandwich of a bill to get worse not better.

Last edited:

jrj_51

I've flushed piles down the toilet that were better suited as law than this latest "compromise." I think I'll stick with NC and keep my visits with family in IL brief.

RANDYT

Because the bill preempt home rule it requires 71 votes to pass the house. Madigan is backing the current bill, which passed the house today, with 85 votes. madigan in his closing remarks said that he pulled 15 votes from the 997 bill originally written by Phelps. Our choses where this bill which could be better, but is doable, or the may issue, 40 hour training, with chicago having its own requirements.

There is 220 home rule units in Illinois, that could have there own carry rules, and the cliff was never an option, even though they said either a good bill or over the cliff. The truth is the pro 2a supporters where starting to cave, and if they didn't pass this bill, then they would vote for a may issue travesty. the bill that passed the house today is far from perfect, but will get full preemption of firearms laws statewide. That means no more Chicago firearm permit, no more cook county AWB ban, not more cook county magazine size requirements, no more cook county $25 firearm tax.

All firearms laws will have to go through the state legislature, so they could pass a statewide AWB, magazine ban, but Madigan has already proved he doesn't have the votes to pass either one. We even had reps, that would never vote for concealed carry, vote yes today, because Madigan said they had to.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Because the bill preempt home rule it requires 71 votes to pass the house. Madigan is backing the current bill, which passed the house today, with 85 votes. madigan in his closing remarks said that he pulled 15 votes from the 997 bill originally written by Phelps. Our choses where this bill which could be better, but is doable, or the may issue, 40 hour training, with chicago having its own requirements.

There is 220 home rule units in Illinois, that could have there own carry rules, and the cliff was never an option, even though they said either a good bill or over the cliff. The truth is the pro 2a supporters where starting to cave, and if they didn't pass this bill, then they would vote for a may issue travesty. the bill that passed the house today is far from perfect, but will get full preemption of firearms laws statewide. That means no more Chicago firearm permit, no more cook county AWB ban, not more cook county magazine size requirements, no more cook county $25 firearm tax.

All firearms laws will have to go through the state legislature, so they could pass a statewide AWB, magazine ban, but Madigan has already proved he doesn't have the votes to pass either one. We even had reps, that would never vote for concealed carry, vote yes today, because Madigan said they had to.
Thanks for the detail.

What I still don't understand is why were the "pro" 2A people starting to cave? Just let it go off the cliff and see how the other side liked the "wild west" - then come back with something more reasonable than what passed today.

It seemed to me that the RKBA folks held all the cards - but still played defense instead of offense...???

VERY strange - but maybe I feel that way because I don't know all the details.

WalkingWolf

Thanks for the detail.

What I still don't understand is why were the "pro" 2A people starting to cave? Just let it go off the cliff and see how the other side liked the "wild west" - then come back with something more reasonable than what passed today.

It seemed to me that the RKBA folks held all the cards - but still played defense instead of offense...???

VERY strange - but maybe I feel that way because I don't know all the details.

Gawd forbid the supposedly 2A lobbyists would let open carry become legal, then the people would expect to keep it. I wonder if this is what they fear over the cliff.

kurt555gs

Gawd forbid the supposedly 2A lobbyists would let open carry become legal, then the people would expect to keep it. I wonder if this is what they fear over the cliff.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Not knowing exactly what the situation is in Hellinois, what you've said is exactly my point - what the $#@& is wrong the the IL RKBA people???