• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

liquor license question

Raggs

If you are asked by manager of a business that has a liquor license whether or not you have a permit and the manager asks if he could see the permit what would you do? I don't think there is a wrong answer but I would be interested in how you would react.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
If you are asked by manager of a business that has a liquor license whether or not you have a permit and the manager asks if he could see the permit what would you do? I don't think there is a wrong answer but I would be interested in how you would react.

As the business agent, he has the right to ask.

You have the right to outright refuse, or try to engage in a conversation.

He has the right to ask you to leave, and have you arrested if you do not leave immediately.

B

Bikenut

As with everything my personal reaction would depend on the totality of the circumstances. And my personal reaction has nothing to do with how anyone else would handle the situation.

1. Manager obviously has an attitude or their status as manager/manager's representative is in question... I'll just say something on the order of "No. You are not LE and do not have the authority to ask for it." Then wait to see what they do next... if they say that if I don't show my permit then I must leave I'll turn around and walk out and follow up later with upper management complete with a copy of the audio/video recording of the incident.

2. Manager seems to be honestly interested and curious... I'll ask why they would like to see it and if the answer is that if I do then he/she will allow me to continue with my day I'll likely show it BUT!!!! it will NOT leave my hands. And by complying with their request I would hope to have a lengthy conversation with that manager so the next open carrying person won't be bothered.

But even if it turns out to be a very good interaction I'll still contact corporate/the owner and make sure they know their manager did a good thing. I believe in giving credit where credit is due... both to make sure the owner/boss knows when credit for a bad interaction is due... and when credit for a good interaction is due.

I'll offer an opinion here....

I do believe that all too often we open carriers are quick to complain when a business treats us poorly yet we are entirely too slow to extend a compliment when businesses do right by us.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Basically, as long as they're polite in their request, I'll show them my license. It won't leave my hands, but I'll show it to them.