• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentops

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think there was a flash mob of OC'ers today. I had to meet some people there today and while outside watched people go in. It looked like one out of every 3 was OC'ing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sounds like a ferry tale to me :lol:

Lots of strange things today. The dog hunters are training Deer Goats now.

6-2_zpsa7144d07.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yesterday had today beat. I was at our outdoor range in Doswell and 2 emu's came out of the woods and ran about 20 yards in front of me.

They are good eating, and as far as I know there is no need for a license/permit to shoot them.

Or did you use that as a teaching moment to demonstrate how a "clean shot" can suddenly turn into a "no shoot"?

stay safe.

scouser

Yesterday had today beat. I was at our outdoor range in Doswell and 2 emu's came out of the woods and ran about 20 yards in front of me.

they have them at the zoo in Chesterfield, I know they didn't escape from there but Logan and I were there on Saturday and as we were walking up to them I heard someone saying "look baby ostriches" so I asked Logan what kind of bird it was and he told everyone within earshot "emu .. emu .. emu". Got a couple of stares like "wow that little kid knows what kind of bird it is".

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Or an emu and anything else after a little Wild Turkey!;)

Roscoe

Since this has gone off topic, started as off topic and I'l world famous for going off topic...I'll tell one of my mountain stories.

Once upon a time there was a Ski Resort built on a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. It was owned partly by the Webb Corporation who sent some of it's people to run it.

The General Manager was a fellow named Fred Swaney who wore Safari Jackets and proclaimed himself a great hunter.

He had an idiot son named Randall who wanted to be a great hunter also. Randall built a deer stand in the National Forest and began illegally baiting it with corn.

When the Ski Resort was built a lot of small farms were purchased and one had Angora Goats. The owner just let them go.

On the opening day of Deer season, Randall came running back to his car dragging one of these goats shouting that he had bagged a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.

Someone:uhoh:, can't remember who, told him Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep had to be checked in at a very seedy country store in Elkton.

He barely got out alive but the Swaney family has had a mounted Billy goat head since.

Back to Emu's:lol:

TFred

He had an idiot son named Randall who wanted to be a great hunter also. Randall built a deer stand in the National Forest and began illegally baiting it with corn.

When the Ski Resort was built a lot of small farms were purchased and one had Angora Goats. The owner just let them go.

On the opening day of Deer season, Randall came running back to his car dragging one of these goats shouting that he had bagged a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.
This must have been one stupid kid... let's even grant the possibility that there are bighorn sheep in Virginia. Certainly the kid knew when he took the shot that he did not know for sure they were even legal to hunt, or in season at that time!

And then upon someone's advice, he continued with his task and took it to a check-in station - without confirming that it was a legal harvest? Wow.

TFred

stickslinger

Well, no Goats or Emu's today

Must have been a slow day. Didn't see anyone OC'n anywhere. Anyway, went in looking for reloading stuff, shelves bare as usual. Cruised over to Bass Pro's and behold the only thing on the shelf was some Hornady 55g FMJ-BT bullets. Lovely. Grabbed 700 of those babies. The lady at the checkout said I can only have 2 boxes of .22 ammo. Huh? After some help from some knowledgeable sales staff she finished the ring out.

Sorry for hoarding folks.

:banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Must have been a slow day. Didn't see anyone OC'n anywhere. Anyway, went in looking for reloading stuff, shelves bare as usual. Cruised over to Bass Pro's and behold the only thing on the shelf was some Hornady 55g FMJ-BT bullets. Lovely. Grabbed 700 of those babies. The lady at the checkout said I can only have 2 boxes of .22 ammo. Huh? After some help from some knowledgeable sales staff she finished the ring out.

Sorry for hoarding folks.

:banana:

I wish you had come to breakfast Sticks!