• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greentops

sidestreet

Oh gosh, that's just too funny, and knowing that it's a real story, well...,

Since this has gone off topic, started as off topic and I'l world famous for going off topic...I'll tell one of my mountain stories.

Once upon a time there was a Ski Resort built on a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. It was owned partly by the Webb Corporation who sent some of it's people to run it.

The General Manager was a fellow named Fred Swaney who wore Safari Jackets and proclaimed himself a great hunter.

He had an idiot son named Randall who wanted to be a great hunter also. Randall built a deer stand in the National Forest and began illegally baiting it with corn.

When the Ski Resort was built a lot of small farms were purchased and one had Angora Goats. The owner just let them go.

On the opening day of Deer season, Randall came running back to his car dragging one of these goats shouting that he had bagged a Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep.

Someone:uhoh:, can't remember who, told him Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep had to be checked in at a very seedy country store in Elkton.

He barely got out alive but the Swaney family has had a mounted Billy goat head since.

Back to Emu's:lol:

that's better than the joke I like to tell about the hunting widow who insisted that her husband was going to start taking her along with him when he went deer hunting.

To make a long story short, he went and got her the whole get up, shot gun, camo gear, the "works" basically, took her out to her stand and said "This is your stand, if you see a deer walking by within range, shoot it." He then proceeded over to his stand and when he was just yards from his own stand, he heard several blasts coming from the direction of the stand his wife was at, so he started running toward where he had just left his wife.

When he finally got there, he saw his wife pointing her shot gun at a man nervously holding his hands up in the air, nodding his head and saying " Okay, Okay lady, it's your deer, it's your deer! Just let me get my saddle off of it and you can have him!" ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
that's better than the joke I like to tell about the hunting widow who insisted that her husband was going to start taking her along with him when he went deer hunting.

To make a long story short, he went and got her the whole get up, shot gun, camo gear, the "works" basically, took her out to her stand and said "This is your stand, if you see a deer walking by within range, shoot it." He then proceeded over to his stand and when he was just yards from his own stand, he heard several blasts coming from the direction of the stand his wife was at, so he started running toward where he had just left his wife.

When he finally got there, he saw his wife pointing her shot gun at a man nervously holding his hands up in the air, nodding his head and saying " Okay, Okay lady, it's your deer, it's your deer! Just let me get my saddle off of it and you can have him!" ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

That's funny JC!:lol:

stickslinger

I wish you had come to breakfast Sticks!

Well, Day'em. I didn't show up south of the Ni til about 1030. If i'd known there was sump'n going on I would have drug ma azz up earlier. I have to admit, I was slacking on seeing any OC breakfast announcements.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, Day'em. I didn't show up south of the Ni til about 1030. If i'd known there was sump'n going on I would have drug ma azz up earlier. I have to admit, I was slacking on seeing any OC breakfast announcements.
Always something going on. We were there till at least 11:30...then I went to the flea market looking at old reels again (I want a Penn International some kind of bad) then out to the swamp and checked a camera I have there.

Just a wood duck. The Beavers aren't cooperating.

stickslinger

Last edited:

sidestreet

Exactly, palerider...,

That shouldn't stop you. People don't always carry, some CC. It's not the guns that holds the group together.

What Peter Nap says, +1000, I imagine someone may even buy your first breakfast, and thanks again Peter, for the pictures, and thanks again to this little band (and you know who you are) that springs into action and gives so tirelessly and selflessly of themselves, their talents and their treasures when need arises, you humble and bless me at the same time..., time and time again.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

zoom6zoom

This one's for Peter, pretty sure he'll enjoy it...

Dave was feeling listless and run down, so he went to visit his Uncle Jim out in the country. But once he got there, he still just moped around the house. So Uncle Jim says to him, "Davey, why don't you take this shotgun and the dogs, go out in the woods and do a little shooting."

Well, a few hours later, Dave comes strolling back to the house, obviously in a much better mood.

"Wow, Uncle Jim, you were right! That was a lot of fun. I'd like to do that again tomorrow!"

"Ya got any more dogs?"

scouser

...., and thanks again to this little band (and you know who you are) that springs into action and gives so tirelessly and selflessly of themselves, their talents and their treasures when need arises, you humble and bless me at the same time..., time and time again.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

I'll second that motion

stickslinger

Bake Sale Today

Well ventured once again south of the Ni again and cruised by Greentops. Some folks OC'n including myself within the joint. Picked up a can of powder and 500 Sierra 77 Grain .22 bullets. Appears they are getting some stuff trickling in. Got Dang and they changed the store around. All the reloading stuff is all the way right of the store now. Grabbed few brownies on the way out from the Archery support folks bake sale going on as well. Yum.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well ventured once again south of the Ni again and cruised by Greentops. Some folks OC'n including myself within the joint. Picked up a can of powder and 500 Sierra 77 Grain .22 bullets. Appears they are getting some stuff trickling in. Got Dang and they changed the store around. All the reloading stuff is all the way right of the store now. Grabbed few brownies on the way out from the Archery support folks bake sale going on as well. Yum.

Yeah..they've been moving stuff for a week. The last time I was in there they had some to the right, some to the left and a bunch in a shopping cart awaiting transport....in the cart there was a box of Berger 185 gr 30 cal which I hadn't seen on the shelf.

BP has been getting a few things in. The other night I found some Varget. Last night I found 4 pounds of Bullseye and a box of Nosler 165 gr 30 cal.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In LE, there really never is "your own time".

I understand that in the sense that you could be needed at a moment's notice at any time. But to control how you dress (as in wear your sidearm) just seems a bit off beat to me. Can they also control how you choose to dress, in terms of clothes or your drinking (legal and responsible, of course)?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I understand that in the sense that you could be needed at a moment's notice at any time. But to control how you dress (as in wear your sidearm) just seems a bit off beat to me. Can they also control how you choose to dress, in terms of clothes or your drinking (legal and responsible, of course)?

Some of what is dictated by the administration is unspoken.

I was always required to have my badge and ID with me. If I was at the beach, my badge and ID sat in a fanny pack or bag. You are encouraged to have your weapon as well. You are also told that you have to hold yourself to certain standards and some of those are unwritten rules.

As far as drinking goes, an accountant who gets a DUI goes to work the next day. A cop quite often loses his job or gets punished in some fashion. You could always be subject to recall for an emergency, or on call of some sort....its a bit different than your typical 9-5 job.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Some of what is dictated by the administration is unspoken.

I was always required to have my badge and ID with me. If I was at the beach, my badge and ID sat in a fanny pack or bag. You are encouraged to have your weapon as well. You are also told that you have to hold yourself to certain standards and some of those are unwritten rules.

As far as drinking goes, an accountant who gets a DUI goes to work the next day. A cop quite often loses his job or gets punished in some fashion. You could always be subject to recall for an emergency, or on call of some sort....its a bit different than your typical 9-5 job.

I was going to ask about the beach situation. Suppose you are at a beach perhaps 4-500 miles away. Is there a likelihood that you could be called and told to cut your vacation short and report back? I am a retired software engineer and I know that on some projects, that could and was very well the case. In one case, a manager wanted those going on vacation to leave the name and number of the motel/hotel where we were staying just in case they had to get in touch with us. Crazy but that is the choice one makes in their chosen profession.