Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This ammo shortage is getting to be outrageous!

This ammo shortage is getting to be outrageous!

Delete
    Last edited by MarksmanCentral; 11-18-2013 at 12:29 AM.

In my area the problem is hoarders and gougers. My local walmart gets shipments in at least twice a week, but every morning the same group of people gather at about 6:30 and buy up all the ammo that hits the shelf. Then much of it is resold on websites/facebook groups for profit. As soon as people wise up and stop paying ridiculous prices from these people supply will slowly come back as these people realize they are now sitting on a ton of ammo they didn't even want.

How much ammo is enough, what is the amount that makes you a hoarder?

When doses the profit level become excessive to make you a gouger?
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Re: This ammo shortage is getting to be outrageous!

Honestly, I won't pay more than 40 cents a round for 223 and I won't pay anymore than 30 cents a round for 9mm. It's gouging when people are selling 223 at 90 cents a round and 9mm at 50 cents/rnd.

Green Top, a local sporting goods store, is starting to get on my nerves with their prices but people are buying it which means it will continue.

Unfortunately, large corporately companies like Walmart a our friends in times like these. The answer is to confront the local Walmart sporting goods manager, find out when he gets his shipment and get up early. The early bird gets the worm, even if it's the same birds every time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I see this very same problem, Bass Pro, Cabela's and Walmart they all sell out in a couple of hours. People know when the trucks come in and they buy whatever they have, needed or not. Then sell it online and sell at 15-20 bucks more, I've seen them do the same with AR's, mags, and handguns. The real shortage I've seen is with reloading powder, primers and bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Re: This ammo shortage is getting to be outrageous!

See, I buy ammo any chance I get knowing that if worst comes to worst I could sell it for 5 dollars more (you know, tax and driving what not) in a heart beat. It's the same idea with pistol magazines.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Lots of people see it as a better investment gold or silver.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Lots of people see it as a better investment gold or silver.
    Well, yes. Lotsa people thought munies (municipal bonds) were a better investment. Then some thought Treasuries were a better investment.

The Japanese central bank just announced its going to flood the market with zillions of yen, causing inflation like you wouldn't believe. Oh, they didn't pitch it that way. They said they're going to try to kick-start their economy. Our central bank has been printing $85B a month for several months. Let those banks keep it up a while and we'll see how much those bonds are worth--munies or Treasuries.

My point is that the situation has to be pretty far south for ammunition to be a better investment than gold or silver.

Of course, back when the price of 9mm went from $12/hundred to $18-20, I'm the guy who told the clerk I didn't want investment grade ammunition, just gimme the cheap stuff. Turned out the $18-20 kind was the cheap stuff.
    Last edited by Citizen; 04-07-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I still don't understand the shortage of 22LR. CCI in Lewiston, ID. makes 4 MILLION rounds a DAY!! With approximately 250 working days a year that's a cool ONE BILLION per year!! And that's only one company; include Remington, Federal, & Winchester and it's even more amazing. Where is it all going??
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

How much ammo is enough, what is the amount that makes you a hoarder?

When doses the profit level become excessive to make you a gouger?
    If you have 10k rounds of .22LR and have no intention of shooting any of it, and are still buying all you find, your a hoarder. If you buy ammo for no purpose other than to resale it at a higher price your a gouger. These are my opinions, and I am entitled to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ADobbs1989 View Post
    If you have 10k rounds of .22LR and have no intention of shooting any of it, and are still buying all you find, your a hoarder. If you buy ammo for no purpose other than to resale it at a higher price your a gouger. These are my opinions, and I am entitled to them.
    +1

Although I would clarify, "if you buy ammo retail..."

And if you do either of those, allow me to similarly excise my freedoms your way:

......................//)
    ....................,/../
    .................../..../
    .............//'...'/`
    ........../'/.../..../......./\
    ........('(.......... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.

I just sold some Federal .22LR 550, 10 boxes, for 25 bucks each...I hope the person didn't feel they were being gouged.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    I see this very same problem, Bass Pro, Cabela's and Walmart they all sell out in a couple of hours. People know when the trucks come in and they buy whatever they have, needed or not. Then sell it online and sell at 15-20 bucks more, I've seen them do the same with AR's, mags, and handguns. The real shortage I've seen is with reloading powder, primers and bullets
    Nah, I've been buying primers and bullets (cast), no problem.

.22 LR is the really tough one to get.

I had to buy some primo target ammo just to kill the usual squirrels.

Thanks, jerks.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Last year, I shot about 6000 rounds of 9 mm, most of it loaded myself. Now, I'm lucky to find primers or the occasional loaded box. And my bullet supplier has been out of stock for 6 months.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it has gotten ridiculous.

Good thing my range burned down in February.

I find it amazing for a bunch of guys who highly value freedom.

That they hate the free market so much.

There was plenty of buying opportunities for the past 4 years to do a little stocking up why did you wait. To jump on the band wagon.

If you didn't there really only one person to blame. Kind of like hearing the hurricane is coming for weeks and doing nothing to prepare.

My Dad would tell the story that during WWII that he was only able to buy 6 30-30 shells for hunting season because there was only one box in the store and the owner wanted to sell to few guys instead of one.

Some times it pays to listen and learn from the past.

i have around 14,000+ rds of various ammo. i saw this coming 2 years ago and started buying at a normal pace. im good for ammo and no need to buy at these retarded prices.

your own fault for not being prepared.
    Last edited by PFC HALE; 04-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

I find it amazing for a bunch of guys who highly value freedom.

That they hate the free market so much.

There was plenty of buying opportunities for the past 4 years to do a little stocking up why did you wait. To jump on the band wagon.

If you didn't there really only one person to blame. Kind of like hearing the hurricane is coming for weeks and doing nothing to prepare.

My Dad would tell the story that during WWII that he was only able to buy 6 30-30 shells for hunting season because there was only one box in the store and the owner wanted to sell to few guys instead of one.

Some times it pays to listen and learn from the past.
    I would tell this story about how I'm a struggling college student who can't afford to stockpile ammo, or buy more than the power and primers (and 22 LR) for the next month, but you and your ilk are too selfish to give a crap anyway.

By the way, talking advantage of artificial, government-induced hype isn't taking advantage of any "free market". It's a lot closer to war profiteering. So you can take that excuse and shove it, too.

And at any rate, I never said hoarding should be illegal, I merely said:

.............//'...'/`
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-08-2013 at 08:10 AM.

I for one hopes the bottom drops out and bricks of 22 get back down to 8 or 9 bucks.

And other drops also. I shoot many thousands arounds a year the cheaper it is the better I like it

Just to say 5000 rounds a year 14000 rounds is less the 3 years of shooting.

Some shoot a lot more then that heck some competition shooter tens of thousands of rounds a year.

I woud just love to buy some hoarders supply for pennies on the dollar. Its not a problem for me to shoot up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    your own fault for bot being prepared.
    .............//'...'/`

Again: struggling college student. Not my fault.

You don't have to stop doing what you're doing, but you might as well stop trying to excuse your way around the fact that it makes you a selfish *******.

Listen, guys. Nobody's saying we don't understand hoarding, or we want to ban it.

We're merely saying, well, see above. No different from how you treat us, really.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-08-2013 at 08:11 AM.

If you were in guvernmnt and got together a think tank how would you deal with the current state of 'Muricans being armed?

You'd find ways to discourage new gun buyers/owners. Insurance, laws about having a big safe to store them in, laws about keeping everything locked up and mags, bullets and firearms stored separately in the home.

You'd allow carry, concealed or openly but you'd say all magazines have to be stored separately, the gun unloaded and bullets in boxes. People would just give up.

You'd buy up all the ammo and make factories cut back on production by giving them an allowance, much like they did for farmers NOT to grow certain crops. You'd make it economically unsound to produce ammo or to sell it to anyone but the guvernmnt.

You'd buy up or make magazines illegal. You'd draft laws that were vague and confusing (magazines protruding below the handle - hey every mag protrudes a little).

You'd have a patchwork of carry regs (oops already have that) making it hard for someone to take a vacation and be armed.

You'd give guns to criminals (and mexicans) making it so scary out there that people would vote for more intrusive big guvernmnt.

You'd find ways to have highly inflammatory school shooting by offering high value targets and removing all guns and means of defending themselves, virtually saying 'all crazy persons and psychopaths, come and get 'em'.

You'd have media ignore SD shooting and play up the school shootings, lying about frequency, and using the word 'Little Children' or 'adult children' in the story so as to sensationalize every story.

You'd watch as various states legislated more intrusive gun laws, and watch as that spread across the country.

You'd convince Congress that the best populace is an unarmed constituency and tell them that THEY (Congress) are special and the only ones smart enough to have weapons and bodyguards not these crazy people who are eating themselves to death at McD's.

You get people to report on their neighbor for a $500 bounty.

You don't go in the front door and ask for the guns. The guv is very smart. They have time and money on their side. We have very little and it's eroding quickly.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 04-08-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Free market ammunition and virtual currency.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    We're merely saying, well, see above. No different from how you treat us, really.
    Where are our amateur economists on this? A free market prevents hoarding by allowing supply-and-demand pricing to function. When the price is made to lag the demand then there is money to be made by buying low, hoarding, and selling high gouging.

My ammo supply is at its minimum, and I cannot afford to replace what I might shoot, so I am hoarding. Make a good enough offer and I might gouge you to sell a little bit.

Or, watch the manipulation of the Bitcoin - BTC - market over the recent months and weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    .............//'...'/`

Again: struggling college student. Not my fault.

You don't have to stop doing what you're doing, but you might as well stop trying to excuse your way around the fact that it makes you a selfish *******.

Listen, guys. Nobody's saying we don't understand hoarding, or we want to ban it.

wow take thing personally much? grow up kid!
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    wow take thing personally much? grow up kid!
    lol, so being in college means I'm a kid?

How old do you think I am?

By the way, you make it personal when your self-justification consists entirely of blaming me for what you imagine to be a lack of foresight.

You know what my response is to that? Wait for it...

.............//'...'/`
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Where are our amateur economists on this? A free market prevents hoarding by allowing supply-and-demand pricing to function. When the price is made to lag the demand then there is money to be made by buying low, hoarding, and selling high gouging.
    On the surface, a free market can't be said to exist when you have such artificial externalities such as government regulation, or threat thereof.

My ammo supply is at its minimum, and I cannot afford to replace what I might shoot, so I am hoarding. Make a good enough offer and I might gouge you to sell a little bit.
    Frankly, my dumb, blind-to-the-future ass decided, purely on a lark (because, you know, I am not gifted enough to be among the prescient who somehow "knew" this was going to happen and yet, strangely, weren't in Newton to stop it), to invest in a reloading setup, so the only thing I'm really having a tough time with is .22 LR.

Which, by the way, is not the perfect survival situation round everyone seems to think it would be.

.22 is for fun, buying a brick or three at a time. Not for hoarding, and definitely not a winning survival round.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast