• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This ammo shortage is getting to be outrageous!

ADobbs1989

In my area the problem is hoarders and gougers. My local walmart gets shipments in at least twice a week, but every morning the same group of people gather at about 6:30 and buy up all the ammo that hits the shelf. Then much of it is resold on websites/facebook groups for profit. As soon as people wise up and stop paying ridiculous prices from these people supply will slowly come back as these people realize they are now sitting on a ton of ammo they didn't even want.

JesterP99

Honestly, I won't pay more than 40 cents a round for 223 and I won't pay anymore than 30 cents a round for 9mm. It's gouging when people are selling 223 at 90 cents a round and 9mm at 50 cents/rnd.

Green Top, a local sporting goods store, is starting to get on my nerves with their prices but people are buying it which means it will continue.

Unfortunately, large corporately companies like Walmart a our friends in times like these. The answer is to confront the local Walmart sporting goods manager, find out when he gets his shipment and get up early. The early bird gets the worm, even if it's the same birds every time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

McLintock

I see this very same problem, Bass Pro, Cabela's and Walmart they all sell out in a couple of hours. People know when the trucks come in and they buy whatever they have, needed or not. Then sell it online and sell at 15-20 bucks more, I've seen them do the same with AR's, mags, and handguns. The real shortage I've seen is with reloading powder, primers and bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesterP99

See, I buy ammo any chance I get knowing that if worst comes to worst I could sell it for 5 dollars more (you know, tax and driving what not) in a heart beat. It's the same idea with pistol magazines.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Lots of people see it as a better investment gold or silver.

Well, yes. Lotsa people thought munies (municipal bonds) were a better investment. Then some thought Treasuries were a better investment.

The Japanese central bank just announced its going to flood the market with zillions of yen, causing inflation like you wouldn't believe. Oh, they didn't pitch it that way. They said they're going to try to kick-start their economy. Our central bank has been printing $85B a month for several months. Let those banks keep it up a while and we'll see how much those bonds are worth--munies or Treasuries.

My point is that the situation has to be pretty far south for ammunition to be a better investment than gold or silver.

Of course, back when the price of 9mm went from $12/hundred to $18-20, I'm the guy who told the clerk I didn't want investment grade ammunition, just gimme the cheap stuff. Turned out the $18-20 kind was the cheap stuff.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

I still don't understand the shortage of 22LR. CCI in Lewiston, ID. makes 4 MILLION rounds a DAY!! With approximately 250 working days a year that's a cool ONE BILLION per year!! And that's only one company; include Remington, Federal, & Winchester and it's even more amazing. Where is it all going??

ADobbs1989

How much ammo is enough, what is the amount that makes you a hoarder?

When doses the profit level become excessive to make you a gouger?

If you have 10k rounds of .22LR and have no intention of shooting any of it, and are still buying all you find, your a hoarder. If you buy ammo for no purpose other than to resale it at a higher price your a gouger. These are my opinions, and I am entitled to them.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
If you have 10k rounds of .22LR and have no intention of shooting any of it, and are still buying all you find, your a hoarder. If you buy ammo for no purpose other than to resale it at a higher price your a gouger. These are my opinions, and I am entitled to them.

+1

Although I would clarify, "if you buy ammo retail..."

And if you do either of those, allow me to similarly excise my freedoms your way:

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I see this very same problem, Bass Pro, Cabela's and Walmart they all sell out in a couple of hours. People know when the trucks come in and they buy whatever they have, needed or not. Then sell it online and sell at 15-20 bucks more, I've seen them do the same with AR's, mags, and handguns. The real shortage I've seen is with reloading powder, primers and bullets

Nah, I've been buying primers and bullets (cast), no problem.

.22 LR is the really tough one to get.

I had to buy some primo target ammo just to kill the usual squirrels.

Thanks, jerks.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Last year, I shot about 6000 rounds of 9 mm, most of it loaded myself. Now, I'm lucky to find primers or the occasional loaded box. And my bullet supplier has been out of stock for 6 months.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it has gotten ridiculous.

Good thing my range burned down in February.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I find it amazing for a bunch of guys who highly value freedom.

That they hate the free market so much.

There was plenty of buying opportunities for the past 4 years to do a little stocking up why did you wait. To jump on the band wagon.

If you didn't there really only one person to blame. Kind of like hearing the hurricane is coming for weeks and doing nothing to prepare.

My Dad would tell the story that during WWII that he was only able to buy 6 30-30 shells for hunting season because there was only one box in the store and the owner wanted to sell to few guys instead of one.

Some times it pays to listen and learn from the past.

PFC HALE

i have around 14,000+ rds of various ammo. i saw this coming 2 years ago and started buying at a normal pace. im good for ammo and no need to buy at these retarded prices.

your own fault for not being prepared.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I find it amazing for a bunch of guys who highly value freedom.

That they hate the free market so much.

There was plenty of buying opportunities for the past 4 years to do a little stocking up why did you wait. To jump on the band wagon.

If you didn't there really only one person to blame. Kind of like hearing the hurricane is coming for weeks and doing nothing to prepare.

My Dad would tell the story that during WWII that he was only able to buy 6 30-30 shells for hunting season because there was only one box in the store and the owner wanted to sell to few guys instead of one.

Some times it pays to listen and learn from the past.

I would tell this story about how I'm a struggling college student who can't afford to stockpile ammo, or buy more than the power and primers (and 22 LR) for the next month, but you and your ilk are too selfish to give a crap anyway.

By the way, talking advantage of artificial, government-induced hype isn't taking advantage of any "free market". It's a lot closer to war profiteering. So you can take that excuse and shove it, too.

And at any rate, I never said hoarding should be illegal, I merely said:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I for one hopes the bottom drops out and bricks of 22 get back down to 8 or 9 bucks.

And other drops also. I shoot many thousands arounds a year the cheaper it is the better I like it

Just to say 5000 rounds a year 14000 rounds is less the 3 years of shooting.

Some shoot a lot more then that heck some competition shooter tens of thousands of rounds a year.

I woud just love to buy some hoarders supply for pennies on the dollar. Its not a problem for me to shoot up ammo.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
your own fault for bot being prepared.

Again: struggling college student. Not my fault.

You don't have to stop doing what you're doing, but you might as well stop trying to excuse your way around the fact that it makes you a selfish *******.

Listen, guys. Nobody's saying we don't understand hoarding, or we want to ban it.

We're merely saying, well, see above. No different from how you treat us, really.

Last edited: