• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry HorseBack Riding

birchhatchery

i have my conceald carry permit in Indiana lifetime liscens I plan on going to the Knott County Spring Trail Ride I belive it in Daniel Boone National Forest I was wondering if I can open carry while in the campsite and on horse back trail riding? and can it be loaded or must be unloaded?

langzaiguy

Welcome to KY! KY has reciprocity with IN, however, none is needed to OC. You simply need to be a 18 or older nonfelon. You can carry in DBNF as the forest follows KY law. You can even shoot in DBNF given you are a designated distance from trails and buildings and not shooting over roads and waterways.

birchhatchery

thank you im over the age 18 and a non felon. I belive knott county is in the Daniel boone national forest? I am not to familiar with that area? also does my revolver need to be undloaded?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to KY! KY has reciprocity with IN, however, none is needed to OC. You simply need to be a 18 or older nonfelon. You can carry in DBNF as the forest follows KY law. You can even shoot in DBNF given you are a designated distance from trails and buildings and not shooting over roads and waterways.

DBNF would seem to have a few extra rules worth reviewing:
Fireworks and Firearms

The following are prohibited:

Discharging or igniting a firecracker, rocket or other
firework, or explosive. 261.16 (d).

Firing any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.
261.5 (b).

Displaying a firearm within a developed recreation site
except for cleaning and or transporting to and from
vehicle. 261.53 (e), Supervisor’s Order DB

Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable
of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging
property as follows: 261.10 (d).

1. In or within 150 yards of a residence, building,
campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,
or

2. Across or on a National Forest System road or a body
of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place
whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or
damage as a result in such discharge.

3. Into or within any cave.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5270145.pdf

Last edited:

birchhatchery

I emailed them asked if it was aloud on the trail ride and this is the answer I got-

No guns allowed at all during the trail ride, on or off the trail or in camp. No guns at all. :cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I emailed them asked if it was aloud on the trail ride and this is the answer I got-

No guns allowed at all during the trail ride, on or off the trail or in camp. No guns at all. :cuss:

Ask them for a cite - by what authority.

Just because a ranger says something, doesn't make it so.

langzaiguy

The reason that I ask is that if there is a private organizer then maybe they wish that you remain unarmed. If it's a ranger that you emailed, then you got his uninformed opinion. Why you would email a ranger is beyond me. You asked us a question, you received an answer. Nevertheless, it is still quite legal to carry in DBNF--and that is not an opinion but an established fact--which is all the more surprising that you would solicit opinions.

birchhatchery

i don't belive it was a ranger that I emailed you can go to the website yourself it knott county adventure. im guessing it is because it a event lots lots of people food bands and trail rideing a 20 dollar admission to camp I never thought of it that way O I am not soliciting any INFORMATION langzaiguy ! I simply thought it was eaiser to email them and ask up front instead me showing up and getting hassled by authorites or told to leave it to far of a drive with the horses to take that chance

langzaiguy

The law is the law. I understand you wanting to double check on account of transporting horses a few hundred miles. Still, law is law and it's quite clear that it's not against the law to carry firearms in DBNF. It would be as though you were doubting a fact in the encyclopedia or an almanac so you consulted a teacher on their opinion. I have openly carried in the DBNF dozens of times--even around various LEOs and have never once been hassled. The problem with consulting businesses or LEOs on their opinions is that you are likely to encounter a knee-jerk, biased reaction rather than a thought-out, factual one.

birchhatchery

I am just wondering if it is actuly in Daniel boone national forest as it doesnlt specificly say I need to find out

DrakeZ07

Is the adventures thingy a county-owned/sponsored event? or is it a event that is ran by a private company or corporation? and are the trails maintained by the county or the business? If its sponsored, and ran by the county or a public corporation, then they have no power to regulate firearms.

And I ask generally, because I've looked and couldn't find out if its private or public funded, ya know? Jusyt that its called Knot County Spring Trail Ride, and on NF trails.

Sooooo....

I don't see the big deal, if anyone says you cant carry Openly, or otherwise, then tell them to F*** off, and go about your activities.

09jisaac

does it matter if it private or public in regards to open carry?

It can be against the rules to carry on private land. If they have a sign then it is best to not carry or go somewhere else but it is not trespassing. If they ask you to leave for any reason and you do not leave then they can trespass you.

For the most part you can legally carry on public lands.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It can be against the rules to carry on private land. If they have a sign then it is best to not carry or go somewhere else but it is not trespassing. If they ask you to leave for any reason and you do not leave then they can trespass you.

For the most part you can legally carry on public lands.

Wish it were that simple: Think Army Corps of Engineer controlled land, National Cemeteries, Bureau of Land Management/U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR controlled property except as allowed.

There may be others in your state.

birchhatchery

thanks for the replys I was wondering because of all the loop holes can carry here cant here and so on so forth. either or I can still carry in my pickup conceald with my permit

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Oh, look, our neighbors to the west believe the Constitution applies in National Forests, too.

Meanwhile Virginia is intent to exist as one continuous insult to the legacy of Jefferson, applying his name to the largest Constitution-free zone in our state.

Hats off to you guys.

Flounder

Oh, look, our neighbors to the west believe the Constitution applies in National Forests, too.

Meanwhile Virginia is intent to exist as one continuous insult to the legacy of Jefferson, applying his name to the largest Constitution-free zone in our state.

Hats off to you guys.

In the very small KY portion of Jefferson you can happily carry! Hopefully you guys and keep pushing to get that changed on your side though.