Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police One Survey if LE members on gun control

Police One Survey if LE members on gun control

So everyone's favorite forum catering only to commissioned/retired police officers and a limited number of other LE professionals has released a survey conducted on 15,000 of their members, and shows a good level of divsersity in terms of rank and department size.

Take a look for yourself who wants to wager the mass media will keep interviewing big city police chiefs and never mention this....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Fascinating and somewhat reassuring survey. I agree, it is unlikely this will get much headline news coverage. I guess that's our job.

TFred

Two summary articles, not identical.

http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legisla...cers-thoughts/

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Professionals

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    Doesnt matter. If the beat cop will arrest me for exercising my 2nd amen right than they are the enemy.
    Aren't you the same guy who was complaining about the police not searching and removing mexicans several months ago?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Doesnt matter. If the beat cop will arrest me for exercising my 2nd amen right than they are the enemy.
    That kind of attitude isn't going to get you very far. If a cop arrests you for exercising a right, then that cop is your enemy. Doesn't mean some other cop you come in contact with 3 months later is also your enemy. There are actually good cops who strongly support your rights.

Then they should stop arresting people for guns and drugs and arrest their police chiefs for not issuing CCW's
    Good cops only arrest people who are breaking the law. Possessing drugs is breaking the law, police do not make laws only enforce them. If you wish to overturn drugs being illegal you need to redirect your anger towards politicians. I don't know of many police chiefs who issue CC permits. Where I'm from that's the Sheriffs job.

and cops arrest people for breaking unconstitutional laws.

cops are no friend of freedom ad liberty.
    Ca Patriot is no friend of freedom ad liberty.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 04-08-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    freedom ad liberty
    Loolz. GG repeating the typo. Genuinely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Loolz. GG repeating the typo. Genuinely funny.
    *wink* That's what I'm here for.

I'm completely against attacking grammar. But, I have no issue with subtle references, though.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 04-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

and cops arrest people for breaking unconstitutional laws.

cops are no friend of freedom ad liberty.
    Their job is to enforce the law, once again your anger should be directed towards the lawmakers. There are also plenty of them that wouldn't enforce laws that are blatantly unconstitutional. Ex. All the sheriffs verbally standing up against Obamas anti-gun legislation. Will they physically stand up to it? I don't know, that has yet to be seen.

the sheriff here in LA County and the police chief stand with Obama and want more gun control.
    That's it! You need to turn your weapons in, period. I suggest following up with a President Obama speech protocol, to help ease you into kool-aidery.

Banned
    ...If the beat cop will arrest me for exercising my 2nd amen right than they are the enemy.
    Let me post an alternative for you to consider: If a beat cop will arrest me for exercising my 2nd amen right then he is an enemy.
    Last edited by eye95; 04-09-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Banned
    the sheriff here in LA County and the police chief stand with Obama and want more gun control.
    That's California. If you love Liberty, why would you live there when there are so many better alternatives??? Vote with your feet.

9. Should citizens be required to complete a safety training class before being allowed to buy a gun?

18. Whether or not you have an active ‘open carry movement’ in your jurisdiction, what is your opinion about the concept and practice? In both concept and practice open carry is a bad idea - 18.2%
    This roughly equates to 1 in 5 officers is a potential problem for a OCer. Seems a little high based on my regional experience. But, this is only my experience others may have a different ration in mind for their region.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

This roughly equates to 1 in 5 officers is a potential problem for a OCer. Seems a little high based on my regional experience. But, this is only my experience others may have a different ration in mind for their region.
    having an objection is not the same as making problems. personal objection to a practice doesn't mean they're going to go stop every single OCer they see......

that's still a minority, a sizable one, but a minority nonetheless.

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    having an objection is not the same as making problems. personal objection to a practice doesn't mean they're going to go stop every single OCer they see......

that's still a minority, a sizable one, but a minority nonetheless.
    Please note the use of the term - potential.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Please note the use of the term - potential.
    Seriously, if we're merely talking about potential, why don't we up it to 5 out of 5?

Policeone isn't representative of the best the profession has to offer, in the defense of jurisdictions where things are... less bad.

At any rate, the survey definitely provides a good argument against the gun control currently before congress, but that's about the best I see in it.

I find several of the responses bothersome, if predictable:

9. Should citizens be required to complete a safety training class before being allowed to buy a gun?
    Response Response Percent Count
    Yes, for all weapons
    42.3% 6,147

Yes, but only for certain weapons
    14.4% 2,087

No
    43.3% 6,281

answered question 14,515
    Too bad that would be unconstitutional. But, of course, police aren't known for their concern in that regard.

10. Would requiring mental health background checks on prospective buyers in all gun sales from federally-licensed dealers reduce instances of mass shooting incidents?
    Yes
    31.3% 4,536

No
    44.8% 6,504

Unsure
    23.9% 3,475

answered question 14,515
    That's a majority who'd support it ("unsure" in this context means "lets try it and see", if you apply cop mentality).

18. Whether or not you have an active ‘open carry movement’ in your jurisdiction, what is your opinion about the concept and practice?
    I support both concept and practice
    31.1% 4,416

It is a valid concept but the practice is misguided
    40.8% 5,796

In both concept and practice open carry is a bad idea
    18.2% 2,590

Unsure/Neutral
    9.8% 1,398

answered question 14,200
    ....................../´¯/)
    ....................,/¯../
    .................../..../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...

19. Do you support the concealed carry of firearms by civilians who have not been convicted of a felony and/or not been deemed psychologically/medically incapable?
    Yes, without question and without further restrictions
    91.3% 12,968

No, only law enforcement officers should carry firearms
    4.1% 586

Unsure/Neutral
    4.5% 646

answered question 14,200
    Notice there is no "Yes, with a permit." or "Yes, without a permit" distinction. Therefore we can assume that a majority of that 91.3% were assuming with, as a majority of states require concealed carry permits.

28. What do you believe is the biggest cause of gun violence in the United States?
    Pop culture influence (eg. violent movies, video games)
    13.9% 1,941

Parole, early release, and short sentencing for violent offenders
    14.7% 2,052

Guns are too prevalent and easy to obtain
    4.4% 611

Poor identification and treatment of mentally ill individuals
    10.1% 1,416

Decline in parenting and family values
    38.1% 5,330

Economic factors/income inequality
    1.6% 223

Unsure
    2.4% 340

Other (please specify)
    14.8% 2,064

answered question 13,977

The correct answer is Z: prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    The correct answer is Z: prohibition.
    What is the daily rate of gun violence by cops and legally armed citizens? That is, how gun shot wounds per day and how many gun deaths per day are committed by the population sample of cops and of legally armed citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    What is the daily rate of gun violence by cops and legally armed citizens? That is, how gun shot wounds per day and how many gun deaths per day are committed by the population sample of cops and of legally armed citizens?
    Very, very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Seriously, if we're merely talking about potential, why don't we up it to 5 out of 5?
    The survey did not hold that as one of the results. Liberal hyperbole.....again.

The survey did not hold that as one of the results. Liberal hyperbole.....again.
    She's right.

I agree that 5 out of 5 police officers represent a potential problem for an OCer.

The SCOTUS has ensured that this will be so. All they have to do is decide they don't like something about you... and boom. Problem.

She's right. I agree that 5 out of 5 police officers represent a potential problem for an OCer. The SCOTUS has ensured that this will be so. All they have to do is decide they don't like something about you... and boom. Problem.
    And they went home safely after their shift. Might that be a reasonable criterium for an LAC? "Judge, I just wanted to get home to my castle and family and the cop was confronting me."

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    And they went home safely after their shift. Might that be a reasonable criterium for an LAC? "Judge, I just wanted to get home to my castle and family and the cop was confronting me."
    I've always said that "citizen safety" should be a higher priority than "officer safety" anyway.

I've always said that "citizen safety" should be a higher priority than "officer safety" anyway.
    It should be. Isn't that one of the reasons officers are out there?--at least were out there, in our communities.

Banned
    They'll say "sorry, we are just doing our jobs"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast