• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police One Survey if LE members on gun control

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
:uhoh:

This roughly equates to 1 in 5 officers is a potential problem for a OCer. Seems a little high based on my regional experience. But, this is only my experience others may have a different ration in mind for their region.

Policeone isn't representative of the best the profession has to offer, in the defense of jurisdictions where things are... less bad.

At any rate, the survey definitely provides a good argument against the gun control currently before congress, but that's about the best I see in it.

I find several of the responses bothersome, if predictable:

9. Should citizens be required to complete a safety training class before being allowed to buy a gun?
Response Response Percent Count
Yes, for all weapons
42.3% 6,147

Yes, but only for certain weapons
14.4% 2,087

No
43.3% 6,281

answered question 14,515

Too bad that would be unconstitutional. But, of course, police aren't known for their concern in that regard. :rolleyes:

10. Would requiring mental health background checks on prospective buyers in all gun sales from federally-licensed dealers reduce instances of mass shooting incidents?
Yes
31.3% 4,536

No
44.8% 6,504

Unsure
23.9% 3,475

answered question 14,515

That's a majority who'd support it ("unsure" in this context means "lets try it and see", if you apply cop mentality).

18. Whether or not you have an active ‘open carry movement’ in your jurisdiction, what is your opinion about the concept and practice?
I support both concept and practice
31.1% 4,416

It is a valid concept but the practice is misguided
40.8% 5,796

In both concept and practice open carry is a bad idea
18.2% 2,590

Unsure/Neutral
9.8% 1,398

answered question 14,200

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

19. Do you support the concealed carry of firearms by civilians who have not been convicted of a felony and/or not been deemed psychologically/medically incapable?
Yes, without question and without further restrictions
91.3% 12,968

No, only law enforcement officers should carry firearms
4.1% 586

Unsure/Neutral
4.5% 646

answered question 14,200

Notice there is no "Yes, with a permit." or "Yes, without a permit" distinction. Therefore we can assume that a majority of that 91.3% were assuming with, as a majority of states require concealed carry permits.

28. What do you believe is the biggest cause of gun violence in the United States?
Pop culture influence (eg. violent movies, video games)
13.9% 1,941

Parole, early release, and short sentencing for violent offenders
14.7% 2,052

Guns are too prevalent and easy to obtain
4.4% 611

Poor identification and treatment of mentally ill individuals
10.1% 1,416

Decline in parenting and family values
38.1% 5,330

Economic factors/income inequality
1.6% 223

Unsure
2.4% 340

Other (please specify)
14.8% 2,064

answered question 13,977

:rolleyes:

The correct answer is Z: prohibition.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The survey did not hold that as one of the results. Liberal hyperbole.....again.

She's right.

I agree that 5 out of 5 police officers represent a potential problem for an OCer.

The SCOTUS has ensured that this will be so. All they have to do is decide they don't like something about you... and boom. Problem.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And they went home safely after their shift. Might that be a reasonable criterium for an LAC? "Judge, I just wanted to get home to my castle and family and the cop was confronting me."

I've always said that "citizen safety" should be a higher priority than "officer safety" anyway.

palerider116

"Officer safety" is important. "Citizen safety" is important.

Safety is just important, period. We will never reach this utopia where there is no risk.

"Officer safety" has become a catch all for any action, lawful or unlawful, for an officer to react in a forceful manner.