Thread: Seattle Police Chief steps down......

Seattle Police Chief steps down......

So Chief John Diaz of the Seattle Police Department has stepped down today, alot of the news media in this areas seems to keep referencing the federal monitor plans being made after the DOJ investigation (which I still maintain was a sham but oh well).Interestingly enough the radio (KOMO 1000 at about 11:00 when I was driving home from Mill Creek) mentioned that the news was unofficially announced by Bruce Harrell (a seattle councilman who is running for Mayor)

Of course Diaz's departure itself doesn't really raise much OC related issues, however this is the OC related point I will make.

With Diaz's resignation retirement effective in May, Asst. Chief Jim Pugil will take the helm, at least in the interim until another chief is selected. this of course means candidates from around the country, and probably a few from within SPD will apply as well, which brings us to Assistant Chief Nick Metz, who's been a vocal supporter of gun control in Washington, managing buybacks, and testifying while representing the Department on support for the (now deceased) House Bill 1588.

I think residents of Seattle who support their rights need to be very attentive to who puts their name in the hat to become police chief. and be monitoring the process at ever stage...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

This is....so sad!

Good riddance....thanks for your service.

I'm sure McGinn's going to make an intelligent choice this time around
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I'm sure McGinn's going to make an intelligent choice this time around
    You said this with a straight face????.....????? Come on.

NM - the roll eye thing didn't show up on my screen.
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

Probably after maxing out his retirement benefits like a leach.

Quote Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
    You said this with a straight face????.....????? Come on.

NM - the roll eye thing didn't show up on my screen.
    I'm Liberal, Gay, a gun toter, OC'r, and can't stand McGinn...nor his crony.

I'm wondering who's running against McGinn.

Diez:
    ...“We’ve gone through some challenges,” he said during the news conference.... http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...stepping-down/
    Chief, that's the understatement of the year, friend. You had one officer murder a homeless man that was minding his own business, walking down the street.

Chief, you had police officers, but by the grace of portable recording devices in the hands of most Seattlites, exposed, kicking handcuffed suspects, threatening to "kick the mexican piss out" of them.

Chief, you fought with the FED's about policy changes, because the ones you were supporting, well, they worked out so well.

There's a huge gap between the community, and officers. Diez only let it widen, and McGinn only let it widen. Hopefully all of us here in Seattle pull our collective head out of our collective ass, and demand these idiots form a policy where officers cultivate trust with the community, not distrust.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 04-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Pardon me for smiling as I'm waving you goodbye.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Re: Seattle Police Chief steps down......

On the other hand... The devil you know is....
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

The one thing that concerns me is, what if his replacement is worse? Just like NK, take out Un and who's to say his replacement won't be even more psycho.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Hmmm Yup Probably a New York transplant for the new chief.

For the last 2 years I called for Diaz resignation or firing. Now we have that....
    For the last 2 years I have also called for the top brass within the SPD to be replaced as well... I believe this is a critical point to correct the oppressive ways of the SPD.

The new chief must not come from the SPD.

However, McGinn will more than likely hire a lackey.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    For the last 2 years I called for Diaz resignation or firing. Now we have that....
    For the last 2 years I have also called for the top brass within the SPD to be replaced as well... I believe this is a critical point to correct the oppressive ways of the SPD.

The new chief must not come from the SPD.

However, McGinn will more than likely hire a lackey.
    That's a broad statement to make, I'm sure there's some officials within SPD who are more agreeable to gun rights. I've been to numerous events in Seattle and talked to SPD officers, at least assuming they're being truthful, it seems the vast majority of Officers and Sergeants don't really mind OC or CC be average citizens. at the ceasefire march I also talked to an SPD captain (can't remember his name, but he was wearing the railroad tracks on his uniform shirt) who said that he actually wished all law abiding citizens would OC because he never assumes an OCer is up to no good....

if they choose an MoS like that it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think hiring outside the department would help, because we know if they hire outside it will be some big city transplant from NJ or California, or Massachuesitts, or Denver, or wherever. it's doubtful they'll choose someone who is friendly gun rights if they hire outside, on the otherhand if they hire the right asst chief or Captain who's been silent on the gun issue but really supports rights, it will end up better then hiring Inspector O' Brien, NYPD to fill the slot...

EDIT

Also someone who's worked SPD most of their career is already familiar with our gun culture, even if they disagree, they're unlikely to start sicing officers on OCers or make sweeping changes to MWAG response policy. when they come to sell their resume to the Mayor they'll be talking about their service record and the years they've served seattle.

if an outsider comes in, they're more likely to shake up the department and do things "their way" (which is not nessecarily better) they'll also sell their resume by sucking up to McGinn's politics
    "oh yeah, don't search black people, yeah community policing that's the stuff, yeah guns are all evil who needs one, right there with you mr mayor all these homeless people should be allowed to harass people and masturbate in alleyways, right there with ya" Frankly I don't think Diaz was that bad, not compared to Gil Kerlikowske anyway......
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

It's not a broad statement, it's a BOLD statement to make. And I have been making that statement for the last 2 years, including to the Mayor himself.

My statement has little to do with OC/CC...

It has to do with numerous civil rights abuses over the years. There is a culture of abuse of rights within the department. We have evidence from the DOJ.

And frankly Erik, you have no clue.
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 04-09-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

It's not a broad statement, it's a BOLD statement to make. And I have been making that statement for the last 2 years, including to the Mayor himself.

My statement has little to do with OC/CC...

It has to do with numerous civil rights abuses over the years. There is a culture of abuse of rights within the department. We have evidence from the DOJ.

And frankly Erik, you have no clue.
    Do you have anyone in particular you'd like to see get the job?
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.

NRA Member

Seattle Police Chief steps down......

No. No one in particular.

I would like to see the pool of candidates and hopefully there are candidates that don't come from a department that has a history of civil rights abuses.

Additionally the mayor is up for reelection this year and is not necessarily the favored for a 2nd term. Thus an appointment by the mayor may not be the best thing for the people.
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 04-09-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

No. No one in particular.

I would like to see the pool of candidates and hopefully there are candidates that don't come from a department that has a history of civil rights abuses.

Additionally the mayor is up for reelection this year and is not necessarily the favored for a 2nd term. Thus an appointment by the mayor may not be the best thing for the people.

Which means that's what will happen. I know SPD has serious issues but until they start cleaning house (not going to happen with the police union there) nothing will change. A Police Chief can't really change anything if the top guys don't want to change.

Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Which means that's what will happen. I know SPD has serious issues but until they start cleaning house (not going to happen with the police union there) nothing will change. A Police Chief can't really change anything if the top guys don't want to change.
    Hopefully, when McGinn is apply for his job again, someone can muster a campaign more substantive than "I'm not McGinn."

And frankly Erik, you have no clue.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more.

Be very very quiet, I'm leaving the building.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    He's definitely an Elmer Fudd.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanchez View Post
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    How about they don't replace him? And fire most of the other administrative positions as well?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)