Thread: Carry in a church?

Carry in a church?

Hey guys, I'm doing a presentation on how gun control doesn't work, and how all mass shootings in the last 20 years have been in gun free zones. I had a quick question, I skimmed Wisconsin law and couldnt find it. At the time of the Sikh Temple shooting, what was Wisconsin's laws concerning guns on religious property? CC only, or GFZ? Thanks.

They are like any other private property they can be posted or not posted. I belive the Sikh Temple was posted no guns at the time of the shooting and most likely still is.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

from the interview i saw , the members didn't know it was legal to carry to church/temple , remember concealed carry was less than 1 year old and had around 100,000 licenses at that point state wide so even if they knew it was legal it is statistically improbable that anyone would have been carrying , yes open carry had been legal but besides those on this site and a few others it just isn't that common either and is practiced by a even smaller portion of the population that carries , as we get closer to 2 years of concealed carry we get closer to 200,000 I expect we will reach it before 2 years. this is faster than many states have grown concealed carry , and will be a bit more than 5% of eligible , but that still puts about 1 in 30 of general population licensed to carry in Wisconsin that will double the chances of someone carrying in a church or place of worship but depending on the demographic it still may be unlikely at some.

I don't know if it was or was not but guessing that if the members didn't know it was legal they also didn't know to post,Sikh like many most religions teaches peace and non violence , and many take that to mean no defense either far to many see a gun as a tool for hunting or a weapon to hurt people , this is a narrow minded interpretation , a gun , a pistol ,a handgun is a tool that can be used for good or evil but mainly it is a tool for defense of good people millions of times each year in this country, the gun doesn't make the the person good or bad , the person makes the person good , neutral or bad

so much of the state was oblivious to it as they had not been following the change in law like , the posters here.

but as Firearms instructor pointed out , every building owner or lessee makes their own decision , if you want to post the sign must be 5x7 inches and plainly posted at each possible entrance to the building or portion of a building that prohibits carry or a particular type of carry or weapon

after the temple shooting , I was talking with a Muslim friend who said , a few of them had started carrying to mosque

I know some churches the pastors carry , others post , my church is un-posted and i know a few carry

Many churches also contain a school. So that's another point to be careful of.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf.45
    all mass shootings in the last 20 years have been in gun free zones
    The Giffords assassination attempt was not in a GFZ.
    And AFAIK the Sikh temple was not a GFZ. Someone on this board drove by shortly after & reported that there were no gunbuster signs.
    The salon massacre definitely was - there was even a picture in the newspaper showing their door & the gunbuster sign. Haven't been by to check if that was removed now that they know it doesn't work.

At the time of the Sikh Temple shooting, what was Wisconsin's laws concerning guns on religious property? CC only, or GFZ? Thanks.
    As others have said, it's just like any other private property, except if there's a school on the same parcel of land or in the same building. (No, Sunday school isn't a school for the purpose of a "GF"SZ.)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCountyPete
    from the interview I saw, the members didn't know it was legal to carry
    +1

after the temple shooting, I was talking with a Muslim friend who said a few of them had started carrying to mosque
    :thumbsup:

Sikh like many most religions teaches peace and non violence
    I used to think so too, but I was wrong.
    While peace & nonviolence is always a goal, self-defense is perfectly acceptable (as far as the religion itself is concerned - individuals may have other opinions), and in fact they wear a ceremonial dagger (not so ceremonial in some places in the world) to remind them that they are required to fight for right & protect the weak.
    Sikhs have apparently been well-regarded as soldiers through the years.
    Start by reading the wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I conceal carry during Sunday morning services. I open all other times at church.

We had a reloading class at our church last night.

I am at least CCing when I am in the building. CC always during service. OC depending on the event. I've even talked at length with my senior pastor while open carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I conceal carry during Sunday morning services. I open all other times at church.

We had a reloading class at our church last night.

since Jesus told us to arm ourselves i figure we should especially do it at church
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Many churches also contain a school. So that's another point to be careful of.
    he who fixxeth the moto speaketh the truth. and at times the definition is a slippery item. and liberals are there to guide their way.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Erase Gordy.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Founder's Club Member springfield 1911's Avatar
    moss mixed in with a poultice will help in keeping it moist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQ34JTqk0I

In the ashes burns an ember of liberty, We are the fuel to ignite the ember into a flame of liberty.

The embodiment of our founding fathers will not be found in one man , But in Many.

****** give it away ( Our rights ) prostitutes sell it (Mandated training).