• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in a church?

Wulf.45

Hey guys, I'm doing a presentation on how gun control doesn't work, and how all mass shootings in the last 20 years have been in gun free zones. I had a quick question, I skimmed Wisconsin law and couldnt find it. At the time of the Sikh Temple shooting, what was Wisconsin's laws concerning guns on religious property? CC only, or GFZ? Thanks.

Firearms Iinstuctor

They are like any other private property they can be posted or not posted. I belive the Sikh Temple was posted no guns at the time of the shooting and most likely still is.

GreenCountyPete

from the interview i saw , the members didn't know it was legal to carry to church/temple , remember concealed carry was less than 1 year old and had around 100,000 licenses at that point state wide so even if they knew it was legal it is statistically improbable that anyone would have been carrying , yes open carry had been legal but besides those on this site and a few others it just isn't that common either and is practiced by a even smaller portion of the population that carries , as we get closer to 2 years of concealed carry we get closer to 200,000 I expect we will reach it before 2 years. this is faster than many states have grown concealed carry , and will be a bit more than 5% of eligible , but that still puts about 1 in 30 of general population licensed to carry in Wisconsin that will double the chances of someone carrying in a church or place of worship but depending on the demographic it still may be unlikely at some.

I don't know if it was or was not but guessing that if the members didn't know it was legal they also didn't know to post,Sikh like many most religions teaches peace and non violence , and many take that to mean no defense either far to many see a gun as a tool for hunting or a weapon to hurt people , this is a narrow minded interpretation , a gun , a pistol ,a handgun is a tool that can be used for good or evil but mainly it is a tool for defense of good people millions of times each year in this country, the gun doesn't make the the person good or bad , the person makes the person good , neutral or bad

so much of the state was oblivious to it as they had not been following the change in law like , the posters here.

but as Firearms instructor pointed out , every building owner or lessee makes their own decision , if you want to post the sign must be 5x7 inches and plainly posted at each possible entrance to the building or portion of a building that prohibits carry or a particular type of carry or weapon

after the temple shooting , I was talking with a Muslim friend who said , a few of them had started carrying to mosque

I know some churches the pastors carry , others post , my church is un-posted and i know a few carry

MKEgal

Wulf.45 said:
all mass shootings in the last 20 years have been in gun free zones
The Giffords assassination attempt was not in a GFZ.
And AFAIK the Sikh temple was not a GFZ. Someone on this board drove by shortly after & reported that there were no gunbuster signs.
The salon massacre definitely was - there was even a picture in the newspaper showing their door & the gunbuster sign. Haven't been by to check if that was removed now that they know it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

At the time of the Sikh Temple shooting, what was Wisconsin's laws concerning guns on religious property? CC only, or GFZ? Thanks.
As others have said, it's just like any other private property, except if there's a school on the same parcel of land or in the same building. (No, Sunday school isn't a school for the purpose of a "GF"SZ.)

GreenCountyPete said:
from the interview I saw, the members didn't know it was legal to carry
+1

after the temple shooting, I was talking with a Muslim friend who said a few of them had started carrying to mosque
:thumbsup:

Sikh like many most religions teaches peace and non violence
I used to think so too, but I was wrong.
While peace & nonviolence is always a goal, self-defense is perfectly acceptable (as far as the religion itself is concerned - individuals may have other opinions), and in fact they wear a ceremonial dagger (not so ceremonial in some places in the world) to remind them that they are required to fight for right & protect the weak.
Sikhs have apparently been well-regarded as soldiers through the years.
Start by reading the wiki.

M

McX

Many churches also contain a school. So that's another point to be careful of.

he who fixxeth the moto speaketh the truth. and at times the definition is a slippery item. and liberals are there to guide their way.