• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PoliceOne survey indicates officers prefer armed citizenry but are leery of OC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LEOs support armed citizens

Very surprised that this hasn't drawn a LOT more attention.

Gun Policy & Law Enforcement: Survey Results
PoliceOne's Gun Policy & Law Enforcement survey was conducted between
March 4 and March 13, 2013, receiving 15,595 responses from verified police ...
ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_gunsurveysummary_2013.pdf - - Similar pages

Daily Kos: RKBA: Firearm legislation, a LEO survey
2 days ago ... Results over the jump. PoliceOne did a survey that included over 15,000 verified
LEOs. ... Here's how they worded the summary: The majority of ...
www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/09/1200345/-RKBA-Firearm-legislation-a-LEO-survey - 570k - Similar pages

davidmcbeth

Banned
Very surprised that this hasn't drawn a LOT more attention.

I'm not ... politicians don't care. And the cops don't either. I have not seen a case where they refused (actually refused) to arrest someone for their "convictions" OR "beliefs".

Correct me if I am wrong...

Cops want their pensions .. they are simple employees ... nothing more

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not ... politicians don't care. And the cops don't either. I have not seen a case where they refused (actually refused) to arrest someone for their "convictions" OR "beliefs".

Did you even read the results?

OTOH - It is unlikely that you would read about something that did not happen.

ADobbs1989

Are you really surprised it's not drawing more attention? Attention from who exactly? It most definitely does not promote the anti-gun agenda of the mainstream media so your not going to see it there. I've seen it posted on every pro-gun group I frequent, but no surprise there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are you really surprised it's not drawing more attention? Attention from who exactly? It most definitely does not promote the anti-gun agenda of the mainstream media so your not going to see it there. I've seen it posted on every pro-gun group I frequent, but no surprise there.

Yes, I am surprised and not a little disappointed that there has not been more favorable reaction here on OCDO.

Some are quick to condemn law enforcement and call others apologists for standing up for the good guys. Now that there is some evidence that many, as in a great deal, do support much of our thinking, all I hear are crickets chirping.

XD40sc

For the vast majority this is true, but there are a few that are on a power trip to entertain their ego on their way to retirement.

ADobbs1989

Yes, I am surprised and not a little disappointed that there has not been more favorable reaction here on OCDO.

Some are quick to condemn law enforcement and call others apologists for standing up for the good guys. Now that there is some evidence that many, as in a great deal, do support much of our thinking, all I hear are crickets chirping.

I tried to stick up for the LEO's in the other thread that was posted in general discussion or wherever it was posted. Maybe their reasoning is that many of the officers didn't support OC? Which I don't mind, I don't personally care what someone thinks as long as they don't impose their thoughts on me. I guess the questionnaire didn't have a "I'm against it and I harass every OC'er I come across" but I would have to assume that MOST LEO are not of this mindset.

OC for ME

I tried to stick up for the LEO's in the other thread that was posted in general discussion or wherever it was posted. Maybe their reasoning is that many of the officers didn't support OC? Which I don't mind, I don't personally care what someone thinks as long as they don't impose their thoughts on me. I guess the questionnaire didn't have a "I'm against it and I harass every OC'er I come across" but I would have to assume that MOST LEO are not of this mindset.
I agree with your last observation, with a proviso. "Big city" cops seem to be more inclined to fall in your "harass every OCer" category even if OC is not prohibited. "Small town" cops not so much it seems.

I believe that it, the "typical" response by a cop to a OCer, is not so much personal opinion driven but that cop trying to balance respecting rights and following department policy. I also believe, no evidence only personal experience, that cops in my area are exercising their "discretion" re OCers and not making contact just as they would not contact a citizen who is not visibly armed.

Overall, it seems to me that beat cops get it and their boss likely does not get it, or at least publicly does not get it. Top Cops, the appointed ones, like their job and have a desire to not evoke a negative reaction from the fella who signs his paycheck.

Maybe the disconnect between Chiefs (appointed) and sheriffs (elected) is evidence that i may not be too far afield in this regard.