Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Gov. McDonnel on U-BG checks

  1. #1
    Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SE Va., , Occupied CSA
    Posts
    366

    Gov. McDonnel on U-BG checks

    On the WNIS AM-790 (Norfolk) radio call-in show just now, the Gov clearly implied that Virginia has Universal background checks, and it fell to the radio host, Tony Macrini, to call him on that error, and make him admit that in fact, we here in Va. do NOT have U-BG checks, which he did finally admit. I am shocked, "our" governor is so careless speaking about such a current, hot topic, LIVE on air broadcast. Not that we wish we did have the U-BG checks here, but please! Let us at least be truthful in the debate!
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

    Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

    If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    99
    He's let it be known that he's a RINO anyways with his "Transportation" tax.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    He's let it be known that he's a RINO anyways with his "Transportation" tax.
    Bob has always been a locker room ****.
    I wonder if he'd consider letting Cuccinelli take early possession

  4. #4
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    He's let it be known that he's a RINO anyways with his "Transportation" tax.
    I'm no more a fan of RINOs than anyone else around, but please, tell me how do "real" Republicans pay for maintaining a transportation infrastructure?

    This is not a cynical or rhetorical question. Roads are not free. If not taxes, how do they get paid for in a Republican worldview?

    I consider myself to be fairly Republican and I really want an answer.

    TFred

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nokesville, VA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I'm no more a fan of RINOs than anyone else around, but please, tell me how do "real" Republicans pay for maintaining a transportation infrastructure?

    This is not a cynical or rhetorical question. Roads are not free. If not taxes, how do they get paid for in a Republican worldview?

    I consider myself to be fairly Republican and I really want an answer.

    TFred
    By not mingling transportation funds with general funds and spending it on other stuff. By not wasting funds on barely traveled roads in southern Virginia instead of using them to improve norther Virginia. Besides that, NOVA is tapped out. More roads won't help, there are just too many people. Stop building apartment and condos everywhere.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I'm no more a fan of RINOs than anyone else around, but please, tell me how do "real" Republicans pay for maintaining a transportation infrastructure?

    This is not a cynical or rhetorical question. Roads are not free. If not taxes, how do they get paid for in a Republican worldview?

    I consider myself to be fairly Republican and I really want an answer.


    TFred
    That's a legitimate question TFred and while the answer is a little more complex than this, this hits the high points.

    There is a tremendous amount of highway money that comes in from fuel tax. Stop allocating it to the General Budget.

    Stop building unneeded and unwanted highways like the proposed expansion of 460.

    Make localities that insist on approving development beyond the infrastructure capacity, pay for it.

    Concentrate on maintaining what we have now.

    In other words...stop living beyond our means.

    I know...everyone in NOVA will scream....Let em!

  7. #7
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's a legitimate question TFred and while the answer is a little more complex than this, this hits the high points.

    There is a tremendous amount of highway money that comes in from fuel tax. Stop allocating it to the General Budget.

    Stop building unneeded and unwanted highways like the proposed expansion of 460.

    Make localities that insist on approving development beyond the infrastructure capacity, pay for it.

    Concentrate on maintaining what we have now.

    In other words...stop living beyond our means.

    I know...everyone in NOVA will scream....Let em!
    Thanks, these all seem reasonable, although I'm sure as you note, every region will have their own version of "reasonable"...

    TFred

  8. #8
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    By not mingling transportation funds with general funds and spending it on other stuff. By not wasting funds on barely traveled roads in southern Virginia instead of using them to improve norther Virginia. Besides that, NOVA is tapped out. More roads won't help, there are just too many people. Stop building apartment and condos everywhere.
    This seems to be a good idea.

    People who live in southern Virginia need roads just as much as people in Northern Virginia. Do you think someone should be cursed to endure a gravel road forever, just because only 15 or 20 people live on their road? There are LOTS of small roads and cul-de-sacs in the backs of neighborhoods in NoVA with less than 20 people, why don't we use gravel at the back end of all NoVA subdivisions?

    I hoped to get real answers. Population growth is obviously not going to change, so this idea is not ever going to be on the table.

    TFred

  9. #9
    Regular Member tomrkba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    128
    Umm...we ran surpluses...unless those are fake (meaning the money was spent outside of the general fund...I have no idea.).

    McDonnell said Monday that Virginia has finished fiscal 2012 with roughly $129 million more in the general fund that forecasted. The state finished with a $311 million general-fund surplus in fiscal 2011 and a $220 million surplus in fiscal 2010.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2PzbFH7Lm
    Last edited by tomrkba; 04-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member jsfrederick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's a legitimate question TFred and while the answer is a little more complex than this, this hits the high points.

    There is a tremendous amount of highway money that comes in from fuel tax. Stop allocating it to the General Budget.

    Stop building unneeded and unwanted highways like the proposed expansion of 460.

    Make localities that insist on approving development beyond the infrastructure capacity, pay for it.

    Concentrate on maintaining what we have now.

    In other words...stop living beyond our means.

    I know...everyone in NOVA will scream....Let em!

    Peter, I'm from NOVA and I won't scream ONE BIT at what you said. You are 10000000% right on the money.

    WHY, WHY does all the new development NOT have to pitch in and build the infrastructure to support it??? Houses and Office building go up and then 10 years later the state/county/city FINALLY starts adding the needed infrastructure.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Goochland, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    585
    Well perhaps the governor was wrong, but looks like he will be correct very shortly, with this Manchin-WV deal with Toomey.

    Backdoor registration is nearly upon us.
    Last edited by Skeptic; 04-10-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •