• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. McDonnel on U-BG checks

Old Virginia Joe

On the WNIS AM-790 (Norfolk) radio call-in show just now, the Gov clearly implied that Virginia has Universal background checks, and it fell to the radio host, Tony Macrini, to call him on that error, and make him admit that in fact, we here in Va. do NOT have U-BG checks, which he did finally admit. I am shocked, "our" governor is so careless speaking about such a current, hot topic, LIVE on air broadcast. Not that we wish we did have the U-BG checks here, but please! Let us at least be truthful in the debate!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He's let it be known that he's a RINO anyways with his "Transportation" tax. :mad:

Bob has always been a locker room ****.
I wonder if he'd consider letting Cuccinelli take early possession
dancing-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

TFred

He's let it be known that he's a RINO anyways with his "Transportation" tax. :mad:
I'm no more a fan of RINOs than anyone else around, but please, tell me how do "real" Republicans pay for maintaining a transportation infrastructure?

This is not a cynical or rhetorical question. Roads are not free. If not taxes, how do they get paid for in a Republican worldview?

I consider myself to be fairly Republican and I really want an answer.

TFred

Defrock

I'm no more a fan of RINOs than anyone else around, but please, tell me how do "real" Republicans pay for maintaining a transportation infrastructure?

This is not a cynical or rhetorical question. Roads are not free. If not taxes, how do they get paid for in a Republican worldview?

TFred

By not mingling transportation funds with general funds and spending it on other stuff. By not wasting funds on barely traveled roads in southern Virginia instead of using them to improve norther Virginia. Besides that, NOVA is tapped out. More roads won't help, there are just too many people. Stop building apartment and condos everywhere.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

TFred

That's a legitimate question TFred and while the answer is a little more complex than this, this hits the high points.

There is a tremendous amount of highway money that comes in from fuel tax. Stop allocating it to the General Budget.

Stop building unneeded and unwanted highways like the proposed expansion of 460.

Make localities that insist on approving development beyond the infrastructure capacity, pay for it.

Concentrate on maintaining what we have now.

In other words...stop living beyond our means.

I know...everyone in NOVA will scream....Let em!

TFred

That's a legitimate question TFred and while the answer is a little more complex than this, this hits the high points.

There is a tremendous amount of highway money that comes in from fuel tax. Stop allocating it to the General Budget.

Stop building unneeded and unwanted highways like the proposed expansion of 460.

Make localities that insist on approving development beyond the infrastructure capacity, pay for it.

Thanks, these all seem reasonable, although I'm sure as you note, every region will have their own version of "reasonable"...

TFred

TFred

By not mingling transportation funds with general funds and spending it on other stuff. By not wasting funds on barely traveled roads in southern Virginia instead of using them to improve norther Virginia. Besides that, NOVA is tapped out. More roads won't help, there are just too many people. Stop building apartment and condos everywhere.
This seems to be a good idea.

People who live in southern Virginia need roads just as much as people in Northern Virginia. Do you think someone should be cursed to endure a gravel road forever, just because only 15 or 20 people live on their road? There are LOTS of small roads and cul-de-sacs in the backs of neighborhoods in NoVA with less than 20 people, why don't we use gravel at the back end of all NoVA subdivisions?

I hoped to get real answers. Population growth is obviously not going to change, so this idea is not ever going to be on the table.

TFred

tomrkba

Last edited:

jsfrederick

Peter, I'm from NOVA and I won't scream ONE BIT at what you said. You are 10000000% right on the money.

WHY, WHY does all the new development NOT have to pitch in and build the infrastructure to support it??? Houses and Office building go up and then 10 years later the state/county/city FINALLY starts adding the needed infrastructure.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Well perhaps the governor was wrong, but looks like he will be correct very shortly, with this Manchin-WV deal with Toomey.

Backdoor registration is nearly upon us.

Last edited: