Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senator Kaine Op Ed: Duct Tape needed

Senator Kaine Op Ed: Duct Tape needed

Let Senate vote on gun measures

He's still spewing the long-debunked 40% unchecked purchases lie.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    Indeed. I will stick with the facts.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...ntcmp=HPBucket

TFred
    More spew regarding his position:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on proposals to reduce gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

No one can deny that gun violence is a serious problem in this country today. We owe it to the victims of the growing number of mass shootings to vigorously debate specific and comprehensive proposals that can keep our communities safer. The right approach focuses on many issues - improvements to the mental health system, better security protocols and common sense rules about gun use, including keeping firearms out of the hands of dangerous individuals.

When I was on the Richmond City Council in the 1990s, our city was mired in an epidemic of gun violence that included the city having the second-highest homicide rate in the United States. The most successful step we took was implementing Project Exile, a program that involved federal prosecution and tougher penalties for gun crimes that were previously treated more leniently in state courts. Celebrated by diverse groups engaged in the gun violence debate - including the National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign - the program helped drive down Richmond's homicide rate by nearly 60 percent within a few years.

In 2007, the tragic shooting at Virginia Tech revealed glaring weaknesses in campus security protocols at colleges and universities, in our mental health system and the gun background check system for gun purchases. In a bipartisan spirit, I worked with then-Attorney General Bob McDonnell to immediately improve our background check system and issued an executive order ensuring that those adjudicated to be mentally ill and dangerous would be entered into a national database and barred from purchasing weapons. We also changed standards for mental health treatment and increased funding for community health programs while dramatically improving campus security and efforts to assist college students suffering from mental stress.

In January I attended a round-table event in Richmond with Vice President Biden on gun violence, to talk about the lessons learned in Virginia and the need for a comprehensive approach to these problems. As your U.S. Senator, I will work to bring that kind of comprehensive approach that will strengthen the safety of our communities, while protecting our Second Amendment rights. As a gun owner who worked with others to constitutionally guarantee Virginians the right to hunt, I know that you can be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment without tolerating the gun tragedies that are too often a part of our daily lives.

Concerning specific proposals, I am a strong supporter of universal background record checks. This is the only way we can enforce existing laws that prohibit dangerous individuals from purchasing guns. I am open to supporting legislation placing reasonable limits on high capacity magazines, combat-style weapons and gun trafficking if they are carefully drafted.

Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues to debate strategies to reduce gun violence. Thank you once again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Signature

Tim Kaine
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    More spew regarding his position:

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on proposals to reduce gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

[Nauseating portions removed...]
    I really wish we could find a pair of Senators who understood that it's their job to learn and act on what WE think, not to tell us what THEY think.

TFred

Thats the same reply that I have received from him... numerous times.... (every time that I send an email using one of the 'contact my legislators' tools).

In case anyone else wants to contact their legislators:

NRA:
    http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

Ruger:
    http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/#

Smith & Wesson
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757992_image

I can't find a direct link to the VCDL one, but its occasionally mentioned in their VA-Alerts emails. Sign up here:
    http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

The take action page at Gun Owners of America is also a pretty good tool.

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/home/
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Looks like the filibuster is falling apart with Manchin and Toomey on the U-Background/Backdoor Registration train.

Timmy's biggest lie

"Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues to debate strategies to reduce gun violence. Thank you once again for contacting me."

He certainly DOES NOT appreciate us contacting him as I got the same Bull Scatology letter.

Paine has never been a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and proved that as Mayor, Governor and now Senator.

He cares not what his constituency wants. It is all about how much more NObama butt he can kiss!

When will they remember

We alre3ady have the Constitution. There is NOTHING to discuss!

There are currently 68,000 federal, state and local gun laws on the books.

Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING they DEBATE or pass into law would have stopped Columbine, Aurora, or Newtown!

Sadly, our elected "representatives" are not! (REPRESENTING US !)

"As a gun owner who worked with others to constitutionally guarantee Virginians the right to hunt, I know that you can be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment without tolerating the gun tragedies that are too often a part of our daily lives."

I missed it, what part of the constitution gave us ONLY the right to bear arms for the purpose of hunting? My understanding of the rationale of the founding fathers was to prevent our "new" government from becoming as autocratic as the one we had just overthrown!

Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    I missed it, what part of the constitution gave us ONLY the right to bear arms for the purpose of hunting? My understanding of the rationale of the founding fathers was to prevent our "new" government from becoming as autocratic as the one we had just overthrown!
    It already has...

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Fundamental rights in s 'democracy'

As Justice Jackson once explained:
    The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials, and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights [,such as the right to keep and bear arms,] may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.
    With Heller recognizing the RKBA being obviously a fundamental right, I've added the blue line.

Cool Believe what you read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    As Justice Jackson once explained:

With Heller recognizing the RKBA being obviously a fundamental right, I've added the blue line.
    Look what Wikipedia's Tim Kaine page says:

Civil Rights

Tim Kaine is an enthusiastic Civil Rights Supressionist . Kaine supports legislation to evicerate the civil right of Virginians to keep and bear arms, a fundamental right under the US Constitution and a self executing right under the Virginia Constitution. Specifically Kaine supports legislation to remove from the people of the Commonwealth the ability to obtain, own and trade modern sporting rifles. Kaine also supports legislation to prevent some members of the armed forces from owning handguns.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

It will be interesting to see how long this wiki post lasts.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    Last edited by Thundar; 04-10-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    Looks like not quite 3 hours.

TFred

Looks like not quite 3 hours.

TFred
    Fixed it again at midnight.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I never noticed it before...mostly because I was distracted by the glare on his head....but that smile is a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Look what Wikipedia's Tim Kaine page says:

Civil Rights

Tim Kaine is an enthusiastic Civil Rights Supressionist . Kaine supports legislation to evicerate the civil right of Virginians to keep and bear arms, a fundamental right under the US Constitution and a self executing right under the Virginia Constitution. Specifically Kaine supports legislation to remove from the people of the Commonwealth the ability to obtain, own and trade modern sporting rifles. Kaine also supports legislation to prevent some members of the armed forces from owning handguns.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    it was still the same this morning when I corrected the spelling on evicerate to eviscerate.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

That is the funniest and most truthful thing, I've ever seen.

Kudos to whoever!

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    it was still the same this morning when I corrected the spelling on evicerate to eviscerate.
    Right on the money. +10
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I never noticed it before...mostly because I was distracted by the glare on his head....but that smile is a little scary.

That's the condecending smile of a progressive who looks at the electorate and says "you don't understand, so we will do this for you because we know what's best for you". yeah right, Constitution? What Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by POPS VA View Post
    That's the condecending smile of a progressive who looks at the electorate and says "you don't understand, so we will do this for you because we know what's best for you". yeah right, Constitution? What Constitution.
    Looks like he's crusing for a date to me. Looks like the Wiki pulled the Civil Rights part.

Re: Senator Kaine Op Ed: Duct Tape needed

This is going to get worse. I think UBC's will happen, though I highly don't want them. It just seems like they aren't listening to us. They are just doing what they want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    This is going to get worse. I think UBC's will happen, though I highly don't want them. It just seems like they aren't listening to us. They are just doing what they want.

VCDL is part of a coalition of gun rights groups that have been fighting this. Hopefully they won't stop and agree to the amendments. We need solidarity right now. There is power in numbers.

If we lose, we lose but let's go down standing on both feet rather than holding our ankles.
    Last edited by peter nap; 04-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Re: Senator Kaine Op Ed: Duct Tape needed

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    VCDL is part of a coalition of gun rights groups that have been fighting this. Hopefully they won't stop and agree to the amendments. We need solidarity right now. There is power in numbers.

If we lose, we lose but let's go down standing on both feet rather than holding our ankles.
    Oh I know. I make reference to that about our Senators. For once it would be nice to see a senator go around and ask the peoples opinion. I mean, isn't that there job? To represent what the state as a whole wants? It's just sad to see the abuse of power.

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Oh I know. I make reference to that about our Senators. For once it would be nice to see a senator go around and ask the peoples opinion. I mean, isn't that there job? To represent what the state as a whole wants? It's just sad to see the abuse of power.

I've been trying to get the actual text. That's been interesting. According to Toomy's office and Warner's, it isn't out yet and the discussions are based on the summary they have on their sites.

Manchin's aid hung up on me. Damn pencil neck little pr***....anyway, it should be a serious red flag that they don't want people reading the actual amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast