• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doctor Visits

JohnM15A

Generally, I take my XDs everywhere I go and only rarely CC. But I have been leaving it in the car when I go in to see the doctor as a courtesy. Is this a common practice?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Other than the rare hospital visit where I'm asked to disarm for entrance, I always at least CC, if not OC when I visit a doctor. They're just people providing goods and services like anyone else, so I don't see a need to act much different.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Until I started going to the VA I OC'd to all my doctor visits. Nary a word from any of them, and nothing from the folks in the waiting rooms, either.

My eye doctor - a bullseye shooter I first met at the range - asked me to bring my gun(s) in so he could check the prescription for proper eye relief. He was a bit surprised when I asked where a safe place was to unload. His receptionist and tech came in to join the discussion about the set of sights I was using.

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Generally, I take my XDs everywhere I go and only rarely CC. But I have been leaving it in the car when I go in to see the doctor as a courtesy. Is this a common practice?

My doctor visits are on a military installation, so no carry.

When I take my son to his doctor, I usually conceal - or indifferently conceal - as a matter of convenience, but have had no issues.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I OC to my optometrist, dentist and private practice M.D. offices.

In the past I have CCd to the MCV hospital complex - that was before Virginia Common[strike]wealth[/strike] University exerted their rules. I even have a Cat Scan image in my file somewhere that says, "Notice handgun in right lower quadrant." The head of radiation oncology laughingly pointed in out to me.

When getting an MRI, I was provided with a lockable locker and hid the key in my shoe where I could observe it. To my knowledge, no one ever complained.

PS - also OC at all Doc-in-a box locations too

Last edited:

scouser

I OC to my optometrist, dentist and private practice M.D. offices.

In the past I have CCd to the MCV hospital complex - that was before Virginia Common[strike]wealth[/strike] University exerted their rules. I even have a Cat Scan image in my file somewhere that says, "Notice handgun in right lower quadrant." The head of radiation oncology laughingly pointed in out to me.

When getting an MRI, I was provided with a lockable locker and hid the key in my shoe where I could observe it. To my knowledge, no one ever complained.

PS - also OC at all Doc-in-a box locations too

ok .. lost something in translation there, what's a doc-in-a-box location ?

scouser

Think Patent First and similar.

oh them .. don't get me started on the "similar". Just a couple of minutes ago sent off an email to the feds about Concentra on Burge Ave making up their own rules about DOT physicals and drug screens

wrearick

wife cc'd to her doctors appointment today (one of them fancy purses with the gun compartment). They still talked about her gun and he admired it (it is a purdy pink) ....

jegoodin

My doctor visits are on a military installation, so no carry.

Mine too, but I open carry at my civilian dentist's office all the time. I've never had an issue, look, or question from him or any of the staff.

He is a pilot, as I am, so we talk flying and about our respective airplanes a lot.

mpguy

I went three weeks ago to both eye and general doctors here in Suffolk. Lakeview medical was the only one that had a postage on the door. It just stated no cc weapons. Nothing about Oc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JesterP99

Working in the hospital doing clinicals, I have learned that a lot, if not most, of the nurses and doctors carry. Maybe not while working but I've talked with a few who have said they wouldn't come to the hospital without carrying.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Arma1911

OC friendly Dentist in NoVA

Since someone here mentioned OCing at a dental office.....

If anyone is looking for an OC friendly dentist in NoVA (specifically Manassas Park) PM me and I'll give you the name/address. Big 2A supporter and he gave us a 10% discount on treatment.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

If anyone is looking for an OC friendly dentist in NoVA (specifically Manassas Park) PM me and I'll give you the name/address. Big 2A supporter and he gave us a 10% discount on treatment.

May be the same one I met at the OC dinner at Peri Peri in Alexandria??? Waiting to get insurance ironed out, and will be taking my son there.

My dentists in Alexandria just north of Ft Belvoir have also told me they're fine with carry, though I've never been in a position to OPEN carry in their offices.

POPS VA

I am interested PM me please

scouser

oh them .. don't get me started on the "similar". Just a couple of minutes ago sent off an email to the feds about Concentra on Burge Ave making up their own rules about DOT physicals and drug screens

had to go by there this morning on my way out with Logan in order to sign and pick up my new DOT card. Had on a gray tshirt so my VA Tucked black pistol was very noticeable. I had wanted to be all insistant on pointing out to them how pig headed and ignorant they were for not following the law (it's a long story and not relevent unless someone asks me to my face, then I'll bore the you-know-what out of you), but the woman on the counter was too nice to me. As we walked in, she greeted me "Hello Mr xxxxx, nice to see you I've got your card here I just need you to sign it, put your address on it and you can be on your way, oh he's cute what's his name?", and I figured she doesn't make their policies so why be mean to her. As for the firearm, she couldn't have not noticed it but she didn't miss a beat and never said anything nor offer any facial clues of terror etc. Doesn't stop me hating the place, poor woman is just like many of us, we've all had to work for an a-hole in our lives.