• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I remember something said in my CCW class that has me thinking.

newell711

I have never heard of such, but interesting. I have asked a LEO friend of mine about this and he says No. But I am not for sure. Also the LEO i asked is a little biased on OC, CC. He recommends it highly :D .

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Considering that a quick wipe with my nose rag will buff those prints right off, the only reason I can think of for some cop wanting to take your handgun to the station is to do something nefarious to you. Most of the crazy stuff I can think they might do (fire it for a bullet to match againt one they got out of some shooting victim, take your prints, take your picture) pretty much need either your consent* or a warrant.

Go back to your CCW instructor and ask to see the smoke-blowing machine, because they sure used one on you. Fortunately it sounds like it did not work.

stay safe.

* - "Look, kid, if you insist we get a warrant to take your fingerprints/shoot your handgun to recover the bullet for ballisatic comparison/whatever, we'll do that. First thing we need to do if figure out where the Magistrate/Judge is, and then wait for them to get from there to here. You weren't in any hurry to be anywhere, were you?"

Fallschirjmäger

Should we even mention that retaining custody of the weapon is no different than retaining custody of someone's wallet, identification, Bible, car keys, socks or shoes? It constitutes a seizure of someone's "...persons, houses, papers, and effects..." Additionally, (IIRC, of course)there's a Third Circuit that says the subject must be believed to be "armed AND dangerous" not merely armed for such a seizure to be considered legal.

Officer Friendly seizes my firearm without any suspicion that my conduct is less than perfectly legal? Funny, he just hit my 'no talking' switch. I'll answer any questions he has ...... in court.

A free gun cleaning with every seizure?
Right then you should've known something wasn't on the up and up.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have heard numerous stories about so called CCW instructors putting out this kind of "instruction". I understand, by law in your area, you need to attend a class, but is there any standard? Does each "instructor" get to make up his own curriculum?

WalkingWolf

I have heard numerous stories about so called CCW instructors putting out this kind of "instruction". I understand, by law in your area, you need to attend a class, but is there any standard? Does each "instructor" get to make up his own curriculum?

I would imagine every state has their own basic rules, but as with teachers, professors, and firearm instructors they all bring their own bias to the classroom. IMO they need to do away with the classes, it is the responsibility of each person to search out the laws, and be responsible.

conandan

That's the craziest thing I've heard in a while. Sounds like the instructor needs some instruction. I'm glad my cc class instructor wasn't that out there. He read the laws right from the book and explained how they can be misunderstood by leos and how to avoid it.

But I'm sure a lot of instructors still hold on to and teach the old wives tales.

cmr287

Depends on where you live in which state.... You need to KNOW YOUR LAWS and get intimate with them. Knowelege is power. Here in Ga, a leo can not disarm you if you not:
1, in the act of

2, have intent

I was disarmed once and I took it to my county sheriff and after we were done, his deputy mad a public appology to me the next day.
LEOs are there to protect your rights, Not to infringe on them. If you feel your rights are not being upheld then you need to do something about it.

I was confronted by a deputy sheriff while OCing. He. Said he wanted to nkow why I was OCing and he didnt see the need for me to be carring... I laughted and tried to politely say it doesnt matter if you think I need to or not and that it is my right and im going to exercise it no matter what.
He asked me if he could disarm me, I said No, why do you feel the need to? He said for his safety... I saidNo again and that I refuse to talk to someone that is armed and im not... He said whys that you don't trust me? I said as a matter of fact, no I don't... I asked him if i was detaind or under arrest, he said No... I said thank you much. Have a wonderful day. I walked off and was not bothered again.

I have noth been bothered since.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

Yup, I agree with you guys. The sad part is this was not the first point at which I smelled this guy's BS. He actually tried to tell me that hitting a bad guy with a kubotan would cause him to void his bowels!! It took all my composure to keep from laughing at that one. He even said they had what he described as a ball bearing type object in the middle that acted like a slide hammer when you struck, thus increasing the force on impact. I could go on with a few other stories but I think you get the picture. It makes me wonder what these guys were taught. Maybe I should get my instructor card too. I could do a better job than what I got from him.

I don't know about a ball bearing, but he is correct that striking a person in the proper nerves may cause loss of control of bodily functions. Most times the person struck throws up, but some may defecate or wet themselves or all of the above. Not sure what that has to do with a CC class though.