Thread: New York Police Confiscating Firearms from People Taking Anti-anxiety Medication

New York Police Confiscating Firearms from People Taking Anti-anxiety Medication

Tresmond is representing two clients now, but anticipates more down the road. "We were flummoxed by this whole matter," explains Tresmond. "The HIPPA act is supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening. It's a gross invasion of our privacy rights." Who's responsible for this? "The State Police. Based on information the county received from the New York State Police, they've suspended the permits. The State Police instigates the proceedings."
    Tresmond says the State Police commissioner is named in the two lawsuits. http://www.wben.com/Attorney--Use-An...Permi/16002790
    Section 9.46 of the NY SAFE Act of 2013 authorizes therapists, doctors, nurses and social workers to report patients they determine may engage in conduct that may result in harm to self or others. If a determination is made that the person in question poses a threat, the provision permits the government to confiscate firearms. The provision is a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment and the legal standard of probable cause. http://www.infowars.com/new-york-pol...ty-medication/

Since the state suspended the permit, the permttee should have had an administrative hearing. I'd be interested if indeed there was a hearing and if the decision had been appealed.

Banned
    The state is going to be in for a big surprise .... want to mess with the pharma industry? Good luck with that --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarasof..._of_California was refined (by a NY case, no less!) in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bierenbaum

Medical care/treatment providers have a duty to warn when there is a specific threat. A generalized "he's crazy and might do something violent" is a violation of physician-patient confidentiality, thus a violation of HIPAA, thus a move significantly likely to end a career. The problem is CME courses (continuing medical education) regarding patient confidentiality are like this http://www.readinghealth.org/doc/Pag...geID=DOC022244 (see CME 11.02). Nothing, nada on why, when, how releases to law enforvcement are to be handled.

Used to be Tasasoff and Bierenbaum were kicked around, debated, and explained to med/nursing school students. Now I doubt if the professors even know what the cases weree about, let alone what the rulings mean regarding practice.

NYS law puts treatment providers smack in the middle of competing wrongs. If only they would consult their malpractice insurance provider before they get sued.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

NYS law puts treatment providers smack in the middle of competing wrongs. If only they would consult their malpractice insurance provider before they get sued.

stay safe.
    A large association of mental health providers (physiologists or psychiatrists) recommended that they turn in ANYONE who could remotely be considered a threat -- else be expected to lose their license to practice after civil suits/admin. actions.

So I expect to see many more cases. It will discourage people from seeking help and actually increase risk IMO. Kudos ! Good job on that section of the law, morons.

the more i hear about NY the happier i am that i live in NC. of course that is one thing people in NY can do, move
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Oops! New York State Police Admit to Major Mistake in Gun confiscation Case, WBEN

Last edited by Nightmare; 04-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.