• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private club

SIGGER40

If you were a member of a private club and this establishment had a bar that was open to members only, could you carry since it is not open to the public?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
If you were a member of a private club and this establishment had a bar that was open to members only, could you carry since it is not open to the public?
Is the area marked as off limits to minors by the liquor control board?

RCW 9.41.300 said:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

Last edited:

amlevin

Sorry, the only "Private Club" that isn't under the control of the Liquor Control Board is your own home and you can't charge for "membership", sell the booze, etc.

Same rules as any other "licensed establishment".

Sparky508

What if club membership came with employment, where attendance also established being currently engaged with said employment?

oneeyeross

It's my understanding that if the bar is your place of employment, you can, with permission of the owner, carry. But, that is MY understanding of the law, and might not be what the liquor inspector/LEO thinks...

hermannr

RCW 9.41.300 states that if the establishment is posted by the LCB to those 21 and over, exception given for owner and employees.

So, how does the LCB determine that this posting should happen? If the establishment serves liquor by the drink, and has very little revenue from food. (don't remember the % for sure, I think it is 60% revenue from food and it is no longer posted.)

EMNofSeattle

I thought it was any place that served hard liqour for profit.

because beer and wine can be purchased at godfathers and pizza factory, and at Sharis and most causual to semi-nice establishments, but they allow minors in and don't sell vodka or whiskey or any of the hard stuff.

I've never seen nor hard of any place, regardless of revenue percentages, that sells anything harder then beer NOT being posted by the LCB

However after spending the better part of this morning going through RCW title 66.20, and the WACs governing private clubs, I have failed to find any loophole or contradiction that would allow you to carry a firearm in a liqour licensed club unless you're the owner or an employee who's paycheck is drawn on the club. also if you're not a member or a bona fide guest of the member the club can't sell you liqour on their license.

HOWEVER

looking at the club handbook, it appears for the purposes of the license that they consider owners of the club to be on the roster of club officers the club has to provide to the LCB, so if you happen to be a club officer I think you would be allowed to carry.... I wouldn't drink while carrying however.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Bourbon Jack's in Kent, open to those under 21 until 9pm. Thus open for carry until 9pm, then it becomes off limits. Serve's both liquor and beer/wine.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I thought it was any place that served hard liqour for profit.

because beer and wine can be purchased at godfathers and pizza factory, and at Sharis and most causual to semi-nice establishments, but they allow minors in and don't sell vodka or whiskey or any of the hard stuff.

I've never seen nor hard of any place, regardless of revenue percentages, that sells anything harder then beer NOT being posted by the LCB

However after spending the better part of this morning going through RCW title 66.20, and the WACs governing private clubs, I have failed to find any loophole or contradiction that would allow you to carry a firearm in a liqour licensed club unless you're the owner or an employee who's paycheck is drawn on the club. also if you're not a member or a bona fide guest of the member the club can't sell you liqour on their license.

HOWEVER

looking at the club handbook, it appears for the purposes of the license that they consider owners of the club to be on the roster of club officers the club has to provide to the LCB, so if you happen to be a club officer I think you would be allowed to carry.... I wouldn't drink while carrying however.

Red Robin, Applebees, Texas Road House, Flaming Joe's, Chili's etc etc etc etc all serve hard alcohol outside if the posted area.

SeattleWingsfan

In Michigan I know a Club DJ that became a minister so he could open a private club that could stay open past the state liquor mandate of 2pm. And police were not aloud entry. I don't know all of what was involved. But were there is a will there is a way.