• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NG here and to KY, sayin hello & Question on OC

richief

Hi all, new on this forum and recently moved to KY. It is nice to be here.
the weather is getting niceand I was hoping to open carry here when we moved. The thing is I don't see anyone else open carrying. I did see one fella last summer when we were visiting here, during the 127 yard sales, but that's about it. I've been keeping my eyes open while out and about now that we live here but no OC.
I read about Charlie here that got put through the wringer for openly displayed pistol, and if the police don't take kindly I will just carry concealed, cuz I can't afford the lawyers and time in a courtroom. My CT. carry Permit is good here for conceal till I get cdwl, but I thought KY would be more popular for open carry, I guess most people conceal here too. Whataya think still rare here?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I see people OC'ing all the time here in Ashland. I saw two people a couple days ago at Walmart within an hour.

As for Charley's incident ... it is a rarity! Things like this RARELY happen in Kentucky, and I can pretty much guarantee that if Charley were to take this to the Kentucky Court of Appeals and/or the Kentucky Supreme Court that it would end up in his favor.

Do not allow ONE incident to intimidate you from exercising a right. Thousands of people carry openly across Kentucky each and every day and have no problems. I would say you have better odds of getting struck by lightning than getting arrested for OC'ing in Kentucky, so don't let it stop you from carrying. It's fairly certain that you will have an encounter with a peace officer at some point, but it will more than likely be a friendly encounter and will consist of nothing but a simple question or a glance.

If you allow one tyrant to keep you from exercising your rights then you have allowed tyranny to win, and that is NOT an option.

Know the laws; know the Constitution; CARRY your firearm!

BTW, if you are no longer a resident of CT then your CT license is no longer active. If you are a resident of Kentucky then you cannot carry on your CT license because it is now void. Your only option is to carry openly until you can obtain a KY CDWL or a non-resident CDWL of another state that is recognized by Kentucky. You can carry concealed without a license in your vehicle in certain places and on certain property, so I would suggest you study the laws thoroughly.

KRS chapters 237 and 527 are the main chapters to study, but there are several others that are pertinent. These two chapters can be found here:

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM

http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/CHAPTER.HTM

Study and carry on!

Last edited:

09jisaac

Whataya think still rare here?

No, police harassment for visibly carrying a firearm is uncommon but I wouldn't consider it rare. Most harassment though is only an inconvenience that usually ends abruptly when the officer realizes that the subject will not bend easily. Knowing the law and letting the officer know you know stops most unlawful acts before they get very far.

Unfortunately though, this is not always the case. Some officers will continue past what is lawful on the hopes that you will yield, others will make you yield anyways.

Is it worth the chance of harassment to carry a firearm? Ask Charley, I believe he is still carrying.

richief

Thanks for the encouragement fellas, as I like owb carry as most comfortable, and no jacket required weather is here.
Just a note on CT. Pistol Permit, as long as CT. residents notify dept. pub safety within 48 hrs of their move, our CT. resident pistol permit becomes a CT. nonresident permit. KY does honor non res CT. pistol permits, so I am still legal to conceal carry in KY., till I obtain KY. cdwl. If I am wrong on this please let me know.
On a side note, I find it odd that Ky honors most other states resident and nonresident permits till newcomers can get their KY cdwl, but that it does not afford the same courtesy/convenience to it's own residents when they make a move out of state. Ky revokes their CDWL upon moving out of state.

Last edited:

kyboy4u

welcome

Welcome to KY as well as the forums,
Oc state wide has quickly grown in popularity. Small Towns like where I live tend to stay about 6months behind the rest of the state. Its rare to see anyone oc here. I believe im about the only one. The police have never bothered me, and a few have even thanked me for standing up for our rights. That very well may have been me at the 127 sale. I was there packing my xd loud and proud. Ill also be at the hwy 55 sale at the Adair/Taylor county line. Stop on by if u come this way