• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massillon attempting to say open carry is illegal there

blebs

Hello people!

I never knew this law existed in Massillon, so naturally I'm interested in it's outcome. I know it's sort of a moot point, but I wanted to post the specific ordinance since all I had was the number and had to go digging to find out what it actually said:

549.12 CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a) No person shall carry on or about his person a pistol, a knife having a blade two and one-half inches in length or longer, knuckles, a billy or other dangerous weapon. However, upon the trial of this charge, the defendant shall be acquitted if it appears that he was at the time engaged in a lawful business, calling, employment or occupation, and that the circumstances in which he was placed justified a prudent man in possessing such a weapon for the defense of his person or family.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

I've been thinking about open carry a lot. The other day while grocery shopping, a guy was walking around the store with a Glock in a holster, in plain view and in no way hidden. He was no security guard either. Have to say, it made me wonder why he was being so open about it, but he wasn't breaking any laws by doing it. My open carry is a little too large for much other than a shoulder holster. Could be a sidearm, but bulky.

9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

(C) As used in this section:

(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person's person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.

(2) "Firearm" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;

(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.

Effective Date: 03-14-2007

Last edited:

eye95

It would seem that the councilman is already an advocate. I would not try to "handle" him. If I lived in the area, I would seek to make this person my friend. I would ensure that he has the best possible information so that he could advocate for what is surely an issue that matters to him as much as it does to us.

NEOOpenCarry

Update!

Update on Massillon:

I spoke with Councilman Milan Chovan today who assured me that the ordinance would be changed so that it would be aligned with ORC 9.68. He said he will personally make sure it happens and will introduce it to council. He will be removing any firearm reference from that local ordinance so that it only covers other deadly weapons. As much trouble we have had getting an answer from Massillon, it was GREAT to finally get a chance to speak with Mr. Chovan. He was very respectful and as an avid shooter and CHL holder, he understands the need for unified state laws and the preserving of our second Amendment rights. I invited him to attend one of our events in the future and we certainly do hope he does attend. He also said he wants to get this changed so that we can do an educational walk in Massillon without fear of being arrested. From ALL of us at NEO Carry, thank you Mr. Chovan! He said that he would call me back when it was introduced. I will keep everyone updated.

NEOOpenCarry

Update

Here is another response from Mr. Chovan:

"I met with our Law Director this morning about several issues before City Council. The wording for the revision of ORD 549.12 is being worked on now. Not sure when it'll be ready to take before Council, but shouldn't take too long. It's a pretty simple change. The law department is just making sure nothing else conflicts with the changes I've asked them to make."

ShootinRugers

Here is another response from Mr. Chovan:

"I met with our Law Director this morning about several issues before City Council. The wording for the revision of ORD 549.12 is being worked on now. Not sure when it'll be ready to take before Council, but shouldn't take too long. It's a pretty simple change. The law department is just making sure nothing else conflicts with the changes I've asked them to make."

Do you know if City Council or the Law Department will have some sort of training for the MPD on the changes? Massillon City is across the street from my place and my wife works in Massillon. From reading this thread and the very few times I dealt with a couple of their officers I'm not too thrilled having to deal with them.

I'm sure it is just a couple of them.

MKEgal

MyWifeSaidYes said:
an open carry walk in front of your neighbor's house? It DEFINITELY won't do any good, but it would still be fun!
It'd be fun to have an OC yard party, maybe yardwork party & cookout.
If there are lots of people, the weeding, mowing, mulching, etc. gets done quickly, then fire up the grill & open the cooler, get out the frisbee, etc.
He'd probably have apoplexy. Is it wrong that I'm grinning?

NEOOpenCarry

Do you know if City Council or the Law Department will have some sort of training for the MPD on the changes? Massillon City is across the street from my place and my wife works in Massillon. From reading this thread and the very few times I dealt with a couple of their officers I'm not too thrilled having to deal with them.

I'm sure it is just a couple of them.

I am not sure at this point what effects this will have. When I do hear from him again about the progress, I will request that the PD gets all of the proper training so that there is no confusion.

3FULLMAGS+1

NEOOpencarry:

Just curious......how's it going with regards to getting their ord. changed? I live in Beach city OH. but am from Navarre, just below Mass. .......I've carried openly there.....never a problem "YET"!

A fella on Buckeye Firearms Assoc. recently made me aware of this ignorance, and I'd be willing to attend one of their meeting to, BUT it looks as though it's going to be fixed......GREAT:banana:

Once again.......please keep us updated........THANKS!

NEOOpenCarry

Ok update!

On July 15th Massillon City Council will vote to forgo the required 3 sittings and vote immediately on removing their ordinance banning open carry. Council at Large Milan Chovan is the one presenting this and has fully acknowledged that this ordinance is not inline with ORC 9.68. So as soon as July 15th, Massillon could be up-to-date with all of their firearm ordinances. Thank you Mr. Chovan for working with us! And we will be having an open carry walk in Massillon on July 27th!

NEOOpenCarry

Will any of the council members foolishly try to retain the ordinance?

From what Mr. Chovan has said, no. They know that it conflicts with 9.68 and they will vote to amend it to comply. So after 7 months they are FINALLY going to fix it!

Last edited:

NEOOpenCarry

Update!!

Ordinance has been repealed!! We just received this email from Massillon Council at Large Milan Chovan:

"Tonight the city council passed the new legislation, bringing our ordinance in line with ORC 9.68. July 27 walk should be smooth sailing!"

After 9 months of brick walls and dead ends, the Massillon ordinance prohibiting open carry has officially been removed! That is a great feeling!

eye95

Way to go!

Government is not perfect. This is the best illustration I have seen in years of a citizen correcting government and government being willing to be corrected.

This is the way it should work.

Well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>