• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MO-US Senators need to hear from us

HP995

I think our Missouri U.S. Senators need some pressure right now. There is a huge non-stop effort to get national gun control underway, one way or another, with bills that sound softer than the previous AWB effort, but are still toxic to our rights.

The strategy is to get whatever they can and build on it, bigger background checks, more rules, and "mental health" schemes that will establish databases and gradually pick off gunowners on one pretext or another. Some gunowners and gun organizations are kidding themselves that they can throw a few people under the bus, live with some new compromises, and avoid harm themselves. That's fantasy and self destruction. Government mental health efforts are tried and true - for Communist/Soviet systems locking up dissidents. These will be used politically and mental health will be defined accordingly.

The NRA just doesn't seem on track or firm this year (I'm actually applauding Rand Paul and NAGR now instead, for speaking out consistently) and unfortunately some of the politicians that should be all-out defending 2A are instead trying to find something they can compromise on and smile across the aisle.

Without 2A there is no OC. I love the state protection efforts underway, but we also need to remember our MO representation in the national battle, which is quietly raging and may be lost if we don't notice. Roy Blunt in particular needs reminding that we're watching and we see through the rhetoric, we expect him to stand firm. And even the liberal politicians need to hear from us too, not just from their fans.

Here are their contact numbers:

http://www.blunt.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/office-locations
http://www.mccaskill.senate.gov/?p=office_locations

kylemoul

i think we need new background checks to check the proposed background checks of the current background checks. also nobody needs anything other than a single barrel shotgun that holds 1 "bullet".

remember its all for the children. and rainbows. and pony's. and puppies and cats.

Redbaron007

i think we need new background checks to check the proposed background checks of the current background checks. also nobody needs anything other than a single barrel shotgun that holds 1 "bullet".

remember its all for the children. and rainbows. and pony's. and puppies and cats.

You forgot flipflops, too.

WCEarp

http://www.blunt.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news?ID=0e6ead73-4218-498b-b49d-5077404d4c88

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Roy Blunt (Mo.) issued the following statement today after he voted against cloture on the motion to proceed to Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (Nev.) gun bill (S.649):

“We all agree that we should keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but Senator Reid’s bill would not prevent tragedies like those that took place in Newtown, Aurora, or Tucson. Instead, this bill would blatantly restrict Americans’ Second Amendment rights, places unreasonable burdens on law-abiding citizens, and would do little to nothing to improve public safety.

This is currently on the home page of Senator Blunt's website. Senator Blunt has heard us loud and clear. He has co-sponsored three bills that help to get the mentally ill early diagnosis and treatment.

It is Senator McCaskill who needs to hear from us.

Last edited:

Oramac

It is Senator McCaskill who needs to hear from us.

Sadly, McCaskill won't hear a damn thing unless His Highness says it. She's left her own supporters outside in the cold of winter before because she didn't want to talk to people.

Broondog

the word "compromise" is being touted all over the media, and on Capitol Hill, and from the White House and even in the OP.

would somebody please show me the compromise?

Merriam-Webster defines Compromise as: 1 - settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions

mutual concessions such as a give and take. but the left is only taking, not giving. they want to take it all but are settling for less and all the while are not giving gun owners anything new. how is that a compromise?

and the right is only concerned with not infuriating their voter base so they say "no AWB!" but are too afraid to go for the throat and say "you want background checks? well we want a repeal of the NFA 1934!". so i still ask, where is the compromise?

there is none. this is simply the left nibbling away at our rights and regulating the hell out of everything and all they are willing to give us in return is a shaft right up the ol' wazoo!

the line must be drawn HERE!! NO FURTHER!!

HP995

I was going to follow up here but Broondog said what was needed and said it well; thanks man!

Compromise always means giving up our real rights for the other side's fake concessions.

All I can say is if you don't call your Senators, don't be surprised when we end up with universal background checks, databases, mental health laws, and all the other goodies the grabbers want.

Don't kid yourself that these new laws will be used wisely. They will be used viciously to target you. Hospitals are now asking kids if their families own a gun. In other words, gun ownership indicates an unhealthy home in their eyes. Religious belief in kids is also being used right now as a red flag for mental health. And many federal and state officials love to paint right-wing and Constitutional citizens as likely terrorists, growing number of examples of that which I'm happy to point out to any doubters. If you think the 2A is anything but a historic relic, the progressives think you're a radical and menace.

Mark my words: if mental health laws and enhanced bg checks are added, they will be used to target gun owners and anyone else unloved by the elitists. If your kid draws a picture of a pea shooter at school, he'll undergo counseling and your home will be sanitized of any dangerous objects such as your collection of those containing lead. OK, or maybe a slight variation on that...but it will have the same end result (take away the guns) and it's coming. The databases will also be used to glean any possible excuse to twist against you. It may take some time, of course, and it may take some additional laws, but they are looking for a foundation now and they will build on it big-time. Anything they get now will be used as justification to seek more later, including mag limits and gun types. ("Everyone agreed we needed that, and if we needed that we also need this.") They want it to be just like UK and EU here. Wait and see if you don't believe me, but it'll be too late.

The only way to stop it (besides state and jury nullification after the fact, or action by some future Congress) is to be heard RIGHT NOW in Congress. They'll be voting any day on more dangerous legislation. It's going right under the radar. They have to understand that we don't want to give up ANY second amendment (or other amendment) rights this year. We have to be firm.

And the ones who need our calls the most are the Republicans who've gone soft and are starting to look for "acceptable" compromises. I'm afraid that Blunt fits in that category, and he's getting careless. He finally made a show of opposing the last deal, but that was after some calls to action about him wavering!

Not to single him out as a person, but he's our only "pro-gun" Senator and we need him to stand firm, not compromise. Either we have the Second Amendment or we don't...most of the world is lined up with the Left and the media against gunowners. All it takes is a few compromises from our side this year, and the bill of rights won't be worth the paper they're written on. The NRA is also taking a soft stance now.

But it would be good to call McCaskill too. Progressives love to think that everyone except weirdos agree with them, and it's good to bring them back to reality. The staffers will listen and it's healthy for them too. They are young people and often have been sheltered from other views. Who knows, you might covert someone with a political future.

PLEASE call your Senators (all the phone numbers are there) and Reps to tell them what YOU think. Even if you don't agree with me about something, I hope you will heed this warning to speak up now or forever hold your peace...and maybe wish you could hold your piece.

We could also contact the NRA and make sure they understand what policies their members want. They probably only hear from a very tiny fraction of their members.

Broondog

McCaskill? LMAO!!! she is about as clueless as Inspector Clouseau. i just recently sent her (and Blunt) a very strongly worded letter calling out the Senate and Congress to get off their assess and reign in the DHS, put the brakes on the power grab that the Usurper in Chief is working towards and to uphold their sworn oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic.....lest the people do it for them.

her response was essentially that everything is roses and rainbows.

Blunt didn't respond.

and i don't have a Rep to even send a letter or make a phone call to!

i call. i write real letters. they know who i am. they don't friggin care! and after that last letter i am betting i just garnered a spot on yet another "list". oh well, that makes probably 52 lists you can find me on.

and tonite i come to find out that Alan Gottlieb, Exec VP of the Second Amendment Foundation has been helping them write the background check bill! how much crap is that? we're being sold out by our own!

read it and weep.....http://daylightdisinfectant.com/gun-rights-advocate-helped-write-background-check-bill/

this is NOT looking good at all!

BTW, if anyone has not read the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act aka the background check bill, read it here....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/11/manchin-toomey-background-checks-bill_n_3065100.html

Last edited:

VinnAY

YOu can forget about Claire, I've written her so many letters and stopped just short of name-calling or being threatening but Ive used words like traitor and treason and honor your oath, I'm certain that I'm on a watchlist by now! Blunt is good-to-go I think, I've gotten letters back from him, albeit generic one-size-fits-all response.

On the matter of SAF collaborating on background checks, you might as well be in there grabbing concessions where you can and there's good things there that aren't just for show for us pro-2A types. Take time to read up on what SAF is doing before writing it off as a sell out, simply crying foul and saying "not one more inch!" and not being part of the debate just isn't a sustainable (moral) position to take.

Oramac

the word "compromise" is being touted all over the media, and on Capitol Hill, and from the White House and even in the OP.

would somebody please show me the compromise?

Merriam-Webster defines Compromise as: 1 - settlement of differences by arbitration or by consent reached by mutual concessions

mutual concessions such as a give and take. but the left is only taking, not giving. they want to take it all but are settling for less and all the while are not giving gun owners anything new. how is that a compromise?

and the right is only concerned with not infuriating their voter base so they say "no AWB!" but are too afraid to go for the throat and say "you want background checks? well we want a repeal of the NFA 1934!". so i still ask, where is the compromise?

there is none. this is simply the left nibbling away at our rights and regulating the hell out of everything and all they are willing to give us in return is a shaft right up the ol' wazoo!

the line must be drawn HERE!! NO FURTHER!!

I have long said that Republicans are worse than Democrats for this very reason. At least the Dems fight for what they believe in. It's wrong, but they fight for it. The Pubs just roll over and wet themselves.

mechanicworkman

I have written & called both senators from our state as well as made calls to about 25 others from various other states. I question how much good it does unless the volume of overall calls has enough of a backlog to disrupt their daily routine.In the end it comes down to what their overall views are.

What worries me is people like John McCain and the other republicans who have become traitors to their party and the people who voted for them. I have watched as he and others sides with the left with a goal of nothing so noble as the good of the people.

HP995

I think we are making a difference. (Big "we" - us and a bunch of individuals and groups out there like us.) When NRA sees people complaining, they firm up their positions and change their tune. That helps.

But Mechanicworkman nailed it - the senators need the phone lines jammed with 2A supporters. Hope that happens! Each call will help.