• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How About Open Carrying Or Conceal Carrying A Gunphone...a Phonegun?

Yetiman

1993 called, they want their phone back...

Might be better to disguise that as a TV remote.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Don't Think I Would Carry One. I Am Pretty Sure It Falls Into "AOW" Category

This gun might be impractical, but it is completely disguised as a phone. It is a .22, and shoots 4 shells as far as I can see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fpt4zslss&feature=player_embedded#!

Link: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-aow.html

These types of "guns" are usually classified as "Any Other Weapon" by the BATFE and require approval & registration under the NFA of 1934. The only good thing about an AOW firearm is the tax stamp on the consumer side is only $5 instead of $200 but IIRC the manufacturer of an AOW has to pay a hefty tax just to build it.

I may be incorrect but I wouldn't carry one without a letter from the BATFE stating it is legal and not an AOW.

AaronS

Link: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-aow.html

These types of "guns" are usually classified as "Any Other Weapon" by the BATFE and require approval & registration under the NFA of 1934. The only good thing about an AOW firearm is the tax stamp on the consumer side is only $5 instead of $200 but IIRC the manufacturer of an AOW has to pay a hefty tax just to build it.

I may be incorrect but I wouldn't carry one without a letter from the BATFE stating it is legal and not an AOW.

I am with you 100% about not wanting to piss off the BATFE. As far as I have seen, you only get to make them mad once. After that you will have no rights ever again, or you are dead, for the most part...

That said, I would have to think that if I made a little Beretta 3032 look like a can of soda, or an Ipad like device, it would still be fine as far as the BATFE goes. It is still a "standard" semi auto, just in a camo package. I have a permission slip that tells me I can "hide" my guns from you (CFP, CWP, CCL)...

Again I do agree, it is a wise choice to make sure first. The BATFE does not play around much.

Interceptor_Knight

This gun might be impractical, but it is completely disguised as a phone.
BATFE's position was formalized in April 2008 in their NFA Handbook (ATF Publication 5320.8 April 2008)[7] which classifies an AOW as follows:
2.1.5 Any other weapon.
Firearms meeting the definition of "any other weapon" are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many "any other weapons" are disguised devices such as penguns, cigarette lighter guns, knife guns, cane guns and umbrella guns. Also included in the "any other weapon" definition are pistols and revolvers having smooth bore barrels designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell. While the above weapons are similar in appearance to weapons made from shotguns, they were originally manufactured in the illustrated configuration and are not modified from existing shotguns. As a result, these weapons do not fit within the definition of shotgun or weapons made from a shotgun. The "any other weapon" definition also includes specifically described weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more but less than 18 inches in length from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading. The firearm most commonly associated with this portion of the definition is the Marble's Game Getter. The "any other weapon" definition excludes weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition or a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore. However, certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an "any other weapon" subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand. As stated above, a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore does not meet the definition of "any other weapon" and is not subject to the NFA. It is important to note that any pistol or revolver having a barrel without a rifled bore does not fit within the exclusion and is an "any other weapon" subject to the NFA.

Last edited: