• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper... again!?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Too little information to know what to think. What do you know that we do not that makes you think a deputy is going to be charged?

And if LEOs shooting/killing someone is to be the criteria for Dan opening a satellite office, he's going to need to put one in just about every locality. Somehow I think he would consider volume/frequency before commiting to additional rent.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

I doubt the deputy will be charged. The investigation will probably determine that a furtive movement by the suspect created an exigent situation that resulted in the totality of circumstances during which the officer was in fear for his life and exercised his obligatory duty to stop the threat and protect the public. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I doubt the deputy will be charged. The investigation will probably determine that a furtive movement by the suspect created an exigent situation that resulted in the totality of circumstances during which the officer was in fear for his life and exercised his obligatory duty to stop the threat and protect the public. :uhoh:

The problem with posting like that is that it implies negatively that we/you have found that is frequently the case or that we support castigation of LEOs. Neither is factual. Your reply could reflect exactly what happened AND they other party may have been armed. Way too many details not known - I will wait. Trust that other will do likewise.

Blk97F150

The problem with posting like that is that it implies negatively that we/you have found that is frequently the case or that we support castigation of LEOs. Neither is factual. Your reply could reflect exactly what happened AND they other party may have been armed. Way too many details not known - I will wait. Trust that other will do likewise.

Grape, sometimes you read way too much into things... and see things in a post, that were not written.

Really.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Grape, sometimes you read way too much into things... and see things in a post, that were not written.

Really.

You may be right. There have been so many instances of rushing to judgement and attacking LEOs generally that I am attuned/programed to a heightened awareness. Please forgive any personal slight; I could have worded that better.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Really.

That's because he has to deal with that way too often. It's hard to remember which members like yourself, don't have a personal size tar bucket..and which one's do.

Blk97F150

You may be right. There have been so many instances of rushing to judgement and attacking LEOs generally that I am attuned/programed to a heightened awareness. Please forgive any personal slight; I could have worded that better.

No apology necessary... (although thank you for the consideration). You have a very difficult role here, and do a great job. I sure don't envy being a Mod (which may be why the other mods don't come out of the closet! lol)

Blk97F150

Related article.

http://wtop.com/120/3283544/Virginia-deputies-kill-suspect

<<Snip>
State police say the deputies shot 59-year-old Harold Lee Daniels on Thursday night after the Rapidan man pointed a gun at the deputies. The deputies were attempting to arrest Daniels after his vehicle was clocked going more than 100 mph and he fled in his vehicle after a deputy conducting the speed checks attempted to stop him.

State police say that deputy and a second deputy later traced the vehicle and Daniels to a residence in Rapidan. Investigators said Daniels pointed a gun at the deputies as they attempted to apprehend him. He died at the scene.

Blk97F150

That's because he has to deal with that way too often. It's hard to remember which members like yourself, don't have a personal size tar bucket..and which one's do.

Oh, I have one.... I just wasn't using it... yet. :uhoh:

:lol:

If the man did indeed point a firearm at a deputy.... not a very smart move. Like others have said, I'm sure more info (and more accurate info) will be released soon.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

It is a sad and confusing story.
It is a shame that none of the news stories talk about finding his gun and putting it into evidence!

Off topic, Im usally quite awake and thoughtful at 11PM when this thread started,
Im also ready to post reasonably at 1AM, when I made the first reply to this thread.
I do not remember reading the thread then, nor posting some personal attack,
in reponse to a report of a shooting and the linked new artical.
Really, there is nothing that I should/could have taken any offense too!
Ive read it today, saw that I had been deleted and for the life of me, have no recolection of what
I may have wrote, nor what kind of thing I wrote, Nor why I would attack Tfred.
Soooo Im saying I am sorry! I wish Grapeshot would PM me, and tell me, what the heck did I write!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is a sad and confusing story.
It is a shame that none of the news stories talk about finding his gun and putting it into evidence!

Off topic, Im usally quite awake and thoughtful at 11PM when this thread started,
Im also ready to post reasonably at 1AM, when I made the first reply to this thread.
I do not remember reading the thread then, nor posting some personal attack,
in reponse to a report of a shooting and the linked new artical.
Really, there is nothing that I should/could have taken any offense too!
Ive read it today, saw that I had been deleted and for the life of me, have no recolection of what
I may have wrote, nor what kind of thing I wrote, Nor why I would attack Tfred.
Soooo Im saying I am sorry! I wish Grapeshot would PM me, and tell me, what the heck did I write!

PM sent.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!! Really, Wowwie!!

I thank you for the PM.
The post I made somewhow seems familiar....
I dont know where it was supposed to go, but it didnt beong in that thread.
Sooo, again I am soooo sorry, It was a mistake.
I Am glad you used your powers to delete it before everyone got to read it, and wonder, if I had indede, lost what little mind I have left.

It seems that their was another really stupid trolling thread I must have seen when I made that post.
I think in that thread, in that context, my post may have stood your scrutiny.
I sometime see posts from others, where they edit to say,,, oops posted in the wrong thread,
so I guess it does happen, but its a Ist for me, Still dont know how though...

I do look forward to more, hard htting news about this unfortunate event.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
TFred....I have a full plate right now so I haven't followed this. I just read the news accounts which are sketchy as usual, but I haven't seen anything real controversial yet.

Deputies running radar, man speeds, Deputies trace car (How, I don't know) to his house, man points gun at Deputy who shoots him.

What am I missing?

Maverick9

TFred....I have a full plate right now so I haven't followed this. I just read the news accounts which are sketchy as usual, but I haven't seen anything real controversial yet.

Deputies running radar, man speeds, Deputies trace car (How, I don't know) to his house, man points gun at Deputy who shoots him.

What am I missing?

Possibly it was the wrong guy and the thing in his hand was not a firearm? Note the VASP are investigating. Do they normally do that in clear-cut cases? IDK.

Guy seen barefoot walking dog during the 'manhunt'. Car in the garage, possibly not recently driven?

TFred

What am I missing?
Nothing more than it was in Culpeper, and although I know it happens, I really can't recall any other LE shootings in my local area for quite some time. Just the situation where one case in the news makes the next one more noticeable. Kind of like when you buy a green Honda, suddenly the road is full of green Hondas, I suppose.

Of course I will not form an opinion until later, if at all, but a careful observer can't help but notice that the story is developing in such a manner that precludes any corroboration to the officers' version of the events, since the only other witness to the suspects aggressive action is the deceased himself. Convenient, at least.

I have no idea what actually happened, but if these two deputies busted in the guy's house, cussed him out for embarrassing them in front of their colleagues, shot him, left a gun in his hand, how would we ever know the difference? NOT SAYING THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED... but just asking, how would we ever know? It's all about what you can prove in a court of law, and I'm guessing in this case, that isn't going to be very much at all.

TFred