• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KY law and county employment

willy1094

Hello,
New member with a question. I found your site trying to research this answer. Does this portion of KY law that mentions policy and procedure apply to employees or is that only in reference to the general public?

(2) Any existing or future ordinance, executive order, administrative regulation, policy, procedure, rule, or any other form of executive or legislative action in violation of this section or the spirit thereof is hereby declared null, void, and unenforceable
(3) Any person or organization specified in subsection (1) of this section shall repeal, rescind, or amend to conform, any ordinance, administrative regulation, executive order, policy, procedure, rule, or other form of executive or legislative action in violation of this section or the spirit thereof within six (6) months after July 12, 2012.

I read the thread that was started by the user in Frankfort but if this was answered, I missed it. I wasn't sure if I should have reopened an old thread so I started this one. Sorry if that was the wrong move. If this really can't be answered here, does anyone know who I should call to get a defined answer? County is saying they are ok with it but now it is up to the city to decide since we are located in their building.
Thanks!

self preservation

Hello,
New member with a question. I found your site trying to research this answer. Does this portion of KY law that mentions policy and procedure apply to employees or is that only in reference to the general public?

(2) Any existing or future ordinance, executive order, administrative regulation, policy, procedure, rule, or any other form of executive or legislative action in violation of this section or the spirit thereof is hereby declared null, void, and unenforceable
(3) Any person or organization specified in subsection (1) of this section shall repeal, rescind, or amend to conform, any ordinance, administrative regulation, executive order, policy, procedure, rule, or other form of executive or legislative action in violation of this section or the spirit thereof within six (6) months after July 12, 2012.

I read the thread that was started by the user in Frankfort but if this was answered, I missed it. I wasn't sure if I should have reopened an old thread so I started this one. Sorry if that was the wrong move. If this really can't be answered here, does anyone know who I should call to get a defined answer? County is saying they are ok with it but now it is up to the city to decide since we are located in their building.
Thanks!

It applies to employees too. Your bosses may just not know that yet.

You work for the county but are in a city building?

willy1094

It applies to employees too. Your bosses may just not know that yet.

You work for the county but are in a city building?

Thanks for the reply. There are a couple county departments in the Florence city building. They are in the lower level. I have not gotten an official "you cannot carry" but don't think they will go for it. If it comes back as a no I am still in a bad spot since it is my employment and you can only buck so hard. I was just wondering if I was reading the law correctly. I guess I could contact the county attorney if it comes to that. Just not sure how anonymous I can be doing that.
Thanks again.

hotrod

Thanks for the reply. There are a couple county departments in the Florence city building. They are in the lower level. I have not gotten an official "you cannot carry" but don't think they will go for it. If it comes back as a no I am still in a bad spot since it is my employment and you can only buck so hard. I was just wondering if I was reading the law correctly. I guess I could contact the county attorney if it comes to that. Just not sure how anonymous I can be doing that.
Thanks again.

I carry in the Florence City Building often and I carry in the County Clerks Office. Unfortunately our county attorney has not impressed me in his knowledge of gun laws.

willy1094

I carry in the Florence City Building often and I carry in the County Clerks Office. Unfortunately our county attorney has not impressed me in his knowledge of gun laws.

So I take it that you are saying it is not worth making a call? :uhoh: Thanks for the info hotrod and gunshot! I am unfortunate that my position will require behind the scenes actions on my part but we'll see what happens. :banghead: