Thread: Open Carry Under 21 Question

Open Carry Under 21 Question

Hello all

My name's Justin, I've read a few topics on your forums here and finally made an account. I look forward to getting along with you all!

If it's not too much trouble, I have a quick question about Open Carry. Is it legal, or for that matter recommended, in the state of WI for someone under 21 but over the age of 18 to openly carry a sidearm? I'm 20, and have been doing research into the legalities concerning this matter because I'm interested in openly carrying. If there's a topic already on this subject, could someone point me in its direction? Thanks!

-Justin

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Welcome to OCDO gurg30 - lots of good people here.

Moved your post to the Wisconsin sub-forum so that you'd get state specific answers. Check out that section for information sure to help you, particularly the following stickied link:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ou-should-know

Good luck and enjoy.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Welcome. Where in WI are you located?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Ah, thank you sir! I'll try to get used to where things go on the forums here

I'm located on the Stateline, Beloit
    Last edited by gurg30; 04-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

You can possess/openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin @ 18. You just can't buy one from a federally licensed dealer until you are 21. So a family member or friend can get you one. The law is so retarded.

There is a big caveat, though! In order to legally carry (even openly) in a school zone, one must have a valid concealed carry license. And you can't get that until you are 21. So if you do OC, you better be darn sure you are not 1000 feet from a school or you'll be in a huge trick bag. Once again, the law is absolutely retarded!

Even as a police officer I cannot carry off duty in a school zone without a CCL.

Last edited by pkbites; 04-12-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Gotcha, so as long as I give a wide berth to school zones and the other "gun free zones" I should be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by gurg30 View Post
    Gotcha, so as long as I give a wide berth to school zones and the other "gun free zones" I should be fine?
    The caveat is you can carry inside that magical zone if you are on private property.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Lol it sounds like it can get complicated really quick!

I'll just avoid the schools in my town altogether methinks, I have no reason to be anywhere near them!

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Welcome!

We have an open carry meet and greet the 1st Sunday of the month at the Starbucks in Delavan:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...he-Month-1-3pm

In addition, we have a free CCL training class next Saturday in Elkhorn. It will teach you the laws and you will get your certificate that you can use when you turn 21 to get your WI CCL.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-4-20-noon-4pm

paul@paul-fisher: Thank you sir! Actually, I already had taken notice of that and registered. Justin Johnson, and I'll be bringing my sister as well. She's old enough to get her CCL, so I figured I'd drag her along too lol

Mr Face: Aye, I avoid IL as much as possible because of that!
    Last edited by gurg30; 04-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    See you at the class!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

You bet, thanks!

I also have a thread that runs through many of the legalities and gives links to the statutes as well as many good videos listed at the bottom. I strongly encourage you and anyone else to run through the info and familiarize yourself with it. There are many generalizations and it's not legal advice. It's simply an organized collection of info. It's titled New to Open Carry in WI, and you can reach it at http://tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 04-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Yes I've visited your topic twice now! Lots of good info, I have it bookmarked. I also plan to print out a bunch of the info pamphlets and cards to carry with me!

Open Carry Under 21 Question

When you get about 50 minutes free take a look at this vid. It goes over the basics of not talking to police. Ever.

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

Cheers!

-sorcice

Ah yes, I've been watching alot of videos on that subject! Thank you for the link, I will try to make time to view it!

Re: Open Carry Under 21 Question

Quote Originally Posted by gurg30 View Post
    Ah yes, I've been watching alot of videos on that subject! Thank you for the link, I will try to make time to view it!
    To quote an old, green Muppet... "Do or do not. There is no try."

Seriously, make the time to watch that video. You won't regret it.