• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Under 21 Question

gurg30

Hello all

My name's Justin, I've read a few topics on your forums here and finally made an account. I look forward to getting along with you all!

If it's not too much trouble, I have a quick question about Open Carry. Is it legal, or for that matter recommended, in the state of WI for someone under 21 but over the age of 18 to openly carry a sidearm? I'm 20, and have been doing research into the legalities concerning this matter because I'm interested in openly carrying. If there's a topic already on this subject, could someone point me in its direction? Thanks!

-Justin

gurg30

Ah, thank you sir! I'll try to get used to where things go on the forums here :)

I'm located on the Stateline, Beloit

Last edited:

pkbites

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

You can possess/openly carry a handgun in Wisconsin @ 18. You just can't buy one from a federally licensed dealer until you are 21. So a family member or friend can get you one. The law is so retarded.

There is a big caveat, though! In order to legally carry (even openly) in a school zone, one must have a valid concealed carry license. And you can't get that until you are 21. So if you do OC, you better be darn sure you are not 1000 feet from a school or you'll be in a huge trick bag. Once again, the law is absolutely retarded!

Even as a police officer I cannot carry off duty in a school zone without a CCL.

Last edited:

gurg30

Gotcha, so as long as I give a wide berth to school zones and the other "gun free zones" I should be fine?

gurg30

Lol it sounds like it can get complicated really quick!

I'll just avoid the schools in my town altogether methinks, I have no reason to be anywhere near them!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Mr Face

Lol it sounds like it can get complicated really quick!

I'll just avoid the schools in my town altogether methinks, I have no reason to be anywhere near them!

If you drive on Shirland Ave at all that can be much more than complicated really quick. No school zones but other hazards. Be very aware of Illinois firearm laws.

gurg30

paul@paul-fisher: Thank you sir! Actually, I already had taken notice of that and registered. Justin Johnson, and I'll be bringing my sister as well. She's old enough to get her CCL, so I figured I'd drag her along too lol

Mr Face: Aye, I avoid IL as much as possible because of that!

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I also have a thread that runs through many of the legalities and gives links to the statutes as well as many good videos listed at the bottom. I strongly encourage you and anyone else to run through the info and familiarize yourself with it. There are many generalizations and it's not legal advice. It's simply an organized collection of info. It's titled New to Open Carry in WI, and you can reach it at http://tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

Last edited:

gurg30

Yes I've visited your topic twice now! Lots of good info, I have it bookmarked. I also plan to print out a bunch of the info pamphlets and cards to carry with me!

gurg30

Ah yes, I've been watching alot of videos on that subject! Thank you for the link, I will try to make time to view it!

NoTolerance

Ah yes, I've been watching alot of videos on that subject! Thank you for the link, I will try to make time to view it!

To quote an old, green Muppet... "Do or do not. There is no try."

Seriously, make the time to watch that video. You won't regret it.