• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petapalooza

Pop

Is this weekend at sunset park. Wanted to take my puppy.. But if I remember right there's something about carrying in a Las Vegas park.. I live in Henderson and have had no problems carrying in Henderson parks... But I thought I read somewhere that Las Vegas parks weren't as fortunate..
Also if I remember right someone was talking about a private event turning a public place private and being able to ban firearms... The event I'm thinking of was down on Fremont i think... Would this apply to the park too? Could the radio station ban firearms in their section of the park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostlittlerobot

Sorry I'm not much help Pop, but metal detectors and searches have prevented me from carrying into Renaissance festivals at sunset park before. I just avoid going now. I think the last thing I read on here was that metro tries to enforce laws that they know are preempted on a state level, but there hasn't been any 'test cases' (someone who's arrested and taken it to trial to get the law changed/removed).

The Big Guy has done a lot of leg work about parks and has told me he carries to boulder city parks all the time, and that their "City Attorney wrote a letter that they knew that the city gun laws were null and void under state preemption and would no longer try to enforce them."

jpa

Sunset park is a Clark County Park. From the last info that's been posted here, they've still dug in their heels and refused to admit their ordinance is invalid. The commander basically said "don't make us come arrest you."

You have to remember we have multiple jurisdictions here (Henderson, North Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Boulder City and unincorporated Clark County) and what applies in one doesn't affect the other. Henderson and BC might be cool, but LV and Clark county AFAIK are a PITA.

Pop

Went and carried anyway albeit not openly. (Didn't want to become a test case)

28kfps

I am so lousy remembering however, there were some postings about a change in the law allowing legal ccw in parks. Now for the remembering part not sure if that was city or county parks or if there was an official ok to cc in whichever park system it was. How is that for an almost worthless reply?