Thread: Selective facebook friends, "culling the heard"...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

Selective facebook friends, "culling the heard"...

Do you have a problem with having, or have a hard time having very vocal facebook friends that have worldviews which drastically oppose your own? I do. I think of facebook as a place of leisure, and I find it disturbing to log in and see my stream polluted with what I consider to be immoral propaganda. I'm not saying I think those people should be censored or anything, at all, I'm just saying that I use my facebook in such a way that I desire to keep it clean and control it so that I am exposed mostly to things I enjoy or approve of. What about you? I recently unfriended a guy I've know for quite a long time, and even used to look up to, for this reason. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar situations

Selective facebook friends, "culling the heard"...

I unfriended my nephew who constantly posts lies repeated by talk radio, all of which could be easily fact-checked.
    I was unfriended by a guy I knew because I would post links in reply to his repetition of similar lies. If you can't stand to have your facts checked, check them yourself.

I like different opinions, but cannot stand stupid or dishonest, so that's where I draw the line.

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    If you only want to see things you approve of on Facebook, then you either need to completely divorce yourself from friends who have any views different from yourself, or don't post anything involving religion or politics.

I have many friends with views completely opposite mine. I try and not let religion and politics dictate my friendships. Most of my friends, except one, I can have rational arguments with, and we are still friends.

People who post stuff that comes under the heading of "internet myths" I usually send the "facts" to. At some point they tire of being publicly whipped and start looking stuff up or not posting it in my presence

Obviously, since we are posting on this forum, most of my arguments/discussions on Facebook involve guns and gun rights. I just don't argue religion at all. With my religious friends and family I just tell them I was ex-communicated by the Druids, and became a born again Pagan. That usually ends any issues right there.........
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    If you only want to see things you approve of on Facebook, then you either need to completely divorce yourself from friends who have any views different from yourself, or don't post anything involving religion or politics.

I have many friends with views completely opposite mine. I try and not let religion and politics dictate my friendships. Most of my friends, except one, I can have rational arguments with, and we are still friends.

People who post stuff that comes under the heading of "internet myths" I usually send the "facts" to. At some point they tire of being publicly whipped and start looking stuff up or not posting it in my presence

Obviously, since we are posting on this forum, most of my arguments/discussions on Facebook involve guns and gun rights. I just don't argue religion at all. With my religious friends and family I just tell them I was ex-communicated by the Druids, and became a born again Pagan. That usually ends any issues right there.........
    Yeah, all good points. I guess I'm just not mature enough to handle it that way