• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selective facebook friends, "culling the heard"...

stealthyeliminator

Do you have a problem with having, or have a hard time having very vocal facebook friends that have worldviews which drastically oppose your own? I do. I think of facebook as a place of leisure, and I find it disturbing to log in and see my stream polluted with what I consider to be immoral propaganda. I'm not saying I think those people should be censored or anything, at all, I'm just saying that I use my facebook in such a way that I desire to keep it clean and control it so that I am exposed mostly to things I enjoy or approve of. What about you? I recently unfriended a guy I've know for quite a long time, and even used to look up to, for this reason. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar situations

nonameisgood

I unfriended my nephew who constantly posts lies repeated by talk radio, all of which could be easily fact-checked.
I was unfriended by a guy I knew because I would post links in reply to his repetition of similar lies. If you can't stand to have your facts checked, check them yourself.

I like different opinions, but cannot stand stupid or dishonest, so that's where I draw the line.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
If you only want to see things you approve of on Facebook, then you either need to completely divorce yourself from friends who have any views different from yourself, or don't post anything involving religion or politics.

I have many friends with views completely opposite mine. I try and not let religion and politics dictate my friendships. Most of my friends, except one, I can have rational arguments with, and we are still friends.

People who post stuff that comes under the heading of "internet myths" I usually send the "facts" to. At some point they tire of being publicly whipped and start looking stuff up or not posting it in my presence:)

Obviously, since we are posting on this forum, most of my arguments/discussions on Facebook involve guns and gun rights. I just don't argue religion at all. With my religious friends and family I just tell them I was ex-communicated by the Druids, and became a born again Pagan. That usually ends any issues right there.........

stealthyeliminator

If you only want to see things you approve of on Facebook, then you either need to completely divorce yourself from friends who have any views different from yourself, or don't post anything involving religion or politics.

I have many friends with views completely opposite mine. I try and not let religion and politics dictate my friendships. Most of my friends, except one, I can have rational arguments with, and we are still friends.

People who post stuff that comes under the heading of "internet myths" I usually send the "facts" to. At some point they tire of being publicly whipped and start looking stuff up or not posting it in my presence:)

Obviously, since we are posting on this forum, most of my arguments/discussions on Facebook involve guns and gun rights. I just don't argue religion at all. With my religious friends and family I just tell them I was ex-communicated by the Druids, and became a born again Pagan. That usually ends any issues right there.........

Yeah, all good points. I guess I'm just not mature enough to handle it that way :uhoh: