Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Maine going consitutional carry?

Is Maine going consitutional carry?

Repeal of Maine gun permit law sought by dozens

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:56:39 PM · by neverdem · 5 replies
    Morning Sentinel ^ | April 11, 2013 | Tom Bell

No one testifies in favor of keeping the requirement for concealed weapons, but it's still likely to remain. AUGUSTA – Gun rights activists showed up in force Thursday at the State House to support a bill that would overturn a 96-year-old Maine requirement for people to obtain a permit if they want to carry a concealed weapon. Citing the "knee-jerk reaction" to tighten gun restrictions in the wake of the December shootings of 20 children and six educators in Newtown, Conn., gun rights advocates said it's time to stand up for their constitutional rights. "We need to push back," said
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

This story is now gone?
    I cant find any mention of it on the sentinel..

How? Where? Who? organized the gathering? I'd Like to be a part of such events if I can.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

Repeal of Maine gun permit law sought by dozens

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:56:39 PM · by neverdem · 5 replies
    Morning Sentinel ^ | April 11, 2013 | Tom Bell

No one testifies in favor of keeping the requirement for concealed weapons, but it's still likely to remain. AUGUSTA – Gun rights activists showed up in force Thursday at the State House to support a bill that would overturn a 96-year-old Maine requirement for people to obtain a permit if they want to carry a concealed weapon. Citing the "knee-jerk reaction" to tighten gun restrictions in the wake of the December shootings of 20 children and six educators in Newtown, Conn., gun rights advocates said it's time to stand up for their constitutional rights. "We need to push back," said
    It is customary to provide a link to the original when quoting a source.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

There is a bill LD 660 that would make Maine Constitutional Carry. It is the third session that the bill has come to committee and it has not made it out of committee yet.

This would be amazing! We need a federal law making this whole country a constitutional carry country.. Last time I checked the constitution was the law of the land.

I hope so...

I do hope that Maine does it, but includes a way to allow your permit to be good in other states.

____
    Maine Carry Firearm Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MaineCarry View Post
    I do hope that Maine does it, but includes a way to allow your permit to be good in other states.

____
    Maine Carry Firearm Instructor
    Opening the doors to considerably more reciprocity agreements would be a good beginning

Looked at your site, was disappointed that when I clicked on "read more" it was indicated that I would have to register first.

What is your position on open carry? Will you be including OC in your curriculum?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It is customary to provide a link to the original when quoting a source.
    http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/G...y-permits.html

Anyone have an update as to the status of this bill? Presumably DOA at the committee.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Anyone have an update as to the status of this bill? Presumably DOA at the committee.
    Committee voted aught not to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Committee voted aught not to pass.
    sorry to bring up an old thread but does anyone know if know having a different party controlling our senate we could get this bill reintroduced

Quote Originally Posted by tazxrulz View Post
    This would be amazing! We need a federal law making this whole country a constitutional carry country.. Last time I checked the constitution was the law of the land.
    We do have a law, it is called the second amendment.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

27 Feb 2015 constitutional carry legislation LD 652 introduced

Lets do it! Seems silly to pay for a permit, go thru all the administrative checks that were already done when purchasing, just so you can carry in your car and wear a coat.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...pinetree-state
    Last edited by USNVet; 03-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Banned
    As a former Mainer, I wish you guys godspeed!

Constitutional Carry ALL THE WAY!

update

Here's the list testimonies from the 8 April 2015 work session. Another session scheduled 24 April.

According to the State Police, the permit system is a joke. They have no idea how many permits are issued. They only know of those that are issued from the State.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...c.asp?id=27249

List of all testimonies:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...&snum=127&sec3

At the same time LD 832 is on the table to change the Permit law so that only the State Police have issuing authority.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...c.asp?id=27289
    Last edited by USNVet; 04-18-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Constitutional Carry going to governor who promises to sign

Assuming the Senate agrees to the House's amendments.

The Democrat House will require anyone under 21 to get a permit and for anyone carrying to inform that they are carrying if detained by LE. I would certainly accept these changes to get it in front of the governor. Then go after the stupid in a later session.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ate-and-house/
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

+1 ;-)

It looks like Constitutional Carry is going the same way concealed carry did after Florida and a few other states paved the way! Constitutional Carry is not a fluke that the anti-gunners can long dismiss out-of-hand as there have been several other Constitutional Carry bills that have passed (only to be vetoed). I view those vetoes as just temporary setbacks pending replacement of a defective governor.

Way to go Maine!
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-02-2015 at 01:54 PM.

It is another step in the right direction
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 06-02-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Carry without mandated training. OHHHH MY GAWD! The world would come to an end! Sarcasm alert!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

When this goes through, I just might take that trip to Acadia next summer. I have a FL CWFL but Maine's reciprocity is one of the worst, and car carry is illegal without a license.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

What the ....?

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/maine...-limit/1717820

Looks like the governor is NOT on board! Fricking sign the bill then fix the age restriction later. Then there is this so-called Maine gun owner's group spouting off hysteria about lack of training, geez!
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-02-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    What the ....?

Looks like the governor is NOT on board! Fricking sign the bill then fix the age restriction later. Then there is this so-called Maine gun owner's group spouting off hysteria about lack of training, geez!
    The governor is trying to score at both ends of the field - playing political football with RKBA. He positions himself to sound like a friend while acting like an anti. With a friend like that............(you can fill in the rest)

Continued supression/restriction of freedom is the net result.

What the ....?

Would the legislation become law even if he does not sign it? I couldn't find anything that said he was going to veto it, just not sign it - there is a big difference.

Someone from Maine, please let us know ;-)
    Last edited by OC4me; 06-03-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Would the legislation become law even if he does not sign it? I couldn't find anything that said he was going to veto it, just not sign it - there is a big difference.

Someone from Maine, please let us know ;-)
    Found the following "Produced and distributed under the direction of the Clerk of the House and Secretary of the Senate." See section titled "Governor."

After a bill has been enacted by the Legislature, it is sent to the Governor, who has 10 days (not counting Sundays) to exercise one of three options. The Governor may sign the bill, or allow it to become law without signature.

If the Governor signs it, the bill ordinarily becomes law 90 days after the adjournment of that legislative session - unless it is an emergency measure, in which case it takes effect upon the Governor's signing or on a date specified in the bill.

If the Governor vetoes the bill, it is returned to the house of origin, where a 2/3 vote of those present and voting in both the House and Senate is required to override. The Governor's veto message may include comments on particular aspects of the bill and the reasons for rejecting it, possibly raising new issues for legislators to debate. If the Legislature overrides the Governor's veto, the bill becomes law without gubernatorial approval.
    If the Governor does not support a bill but does not wish to veto it, it becomes law without the Governor's signature, if not signed and not returned to the Legislature within 10 days.

When the Legislature adjourns before the 10-day time limit has expired, a bill on which the Governor has not acted prior to the adjournment of the session becomes law unless the Governor vetoes it within 3 days after the reconvening of that Legislature. If there is not another meeting of that particular Legislature lasting more than 3 days, the bill does not become law.

http://www.state.me.us/legis/path/path.htm
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-03-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, the question becomes, when do we stop trading continued suppression/restriction of one freedom for the expansion of another?

When the antis stop trying to take are rights away. It took decades and many laws passed to get us to this point it well take as long to get us out.

Yes I would like clear supreme court ruling on the 2nd up holding our rights shall not infringe means shall not infringe yes I would like perfect laws but I'll take any step forward as positive.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast