• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

37 Sheriffs Suing the State of Colorado Over the New Gun Law

mobiushky

When I was at the Capital testifying to arm teachers back in January, while a woman was testifying in support of the bill, Senator Jessie Ulibarri actually got up, left the room, returned with a burrito, and was stuffing his face while she was speaking.
Disrespectful and reprehensible Ulibarri needs to get the boot.

Tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't let me. Just wanted to apologize to you for getting your other thread locked. I hope it doesn't affect your opinion of OCDO or the guys here. Sorry about that.

XDNick9

“I just want to say that, actually statistics are not on your side even if you had a gun,” Hudak scolded. “And, chances are that if you would have had a gun, then he would have been able to get that from you and possibly use it against you.”

I think i'll take my chances... with my gun

RandallFlagg

Tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't let me. Just wanted to apologize to you for getting your other thread locked. I hope it doesn't affect your opinion of OCDO or the guys here. Sorry about that.

No worries.
This place would get pretty boring if everyone agreed with everyone else about everything.

arentol

“I just want to say that, actually statistics are not on your side even if you had a gun,” Hudak scolded. “And, chances are that if you would have had a gun, then he would have been able to get that from you and possibly use it against you.”

Hudak continued, speaking over the committee witness, “The Colorado Coalition Against Gun Violence says that every one woman who used a handgun in self-defense, 83 here are killed by them.”

You gotta love these kind of blatant lies.

That 83 to 1 ratio is based on a 1998 study that found that in one year 12 women had used a gun to kill an attacker in self defense vs 872 women having been killed by guns that year.

There are a few problems with his statement.

First, the actual study was two independent facts, Women killed by guns and Women who used a gun to kill someone in lawful self defense. The reality is that the study didn't indicate that any of the women who died that year by a gun was killed by a gun taken from them. In fact it is almost a certainty that they were all unarmed. Yet Hudaks statement amounts to saying that all 884 women were armed and yet 83 of each 84 women was killed in spite of this. This is just blatantly false.

Second, Hudak says "used a handgun in self-defense". But the actual report was "used a handgun to KILL an attacker in self-defense". Guess what... The VAST majority (roughly 1 in 10,000) of defensive firearm uses by private citizens do NOT result in the attacker being killed. So basically those numbers (and that entire study) were a flaming pile of BS. Besides, What matters is not women killed by guns vs attackers killed by women with guns, but women killed by guns vs women SAVED by guns.

troym

Unfortunately....

You gotta love these kind of blatant lies.

That 83 to 1 ratio is based on a 1998 study that found that in one year 12 women had used a gun to kill an attacker in self defense vs 872 women having been killed by guns that year.

It's the untruthful sound bite that really gets the traction and over time turns to fact in so many lazy uniformed minds. Sound bites are, in my opinion, the worst thing to ever come out of the electronic age.