Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CATA Bus - Kicks off Pres of MOC

CATA Bus - Kicks off Pres of MOC

http://qik.com/video/58079348

We're currently having constructive talks with them and their lawyer. I've notified their lawyer that they've not yet implemented their new policy (which will allow OC on the bus) and they should do so quickly and property train their staff.

For reference, CATA's current Rules (which are invalid -- and they aren't even following those):

http://www.cata.org/RidingCATA/CATAR...9/Default.aspx

Weapons of any kind (unless concealed with a legal license) or possession of any hazardous material or item
    Here's what transpired before the video started:

1. I boarded the bus and paid my $1.25.
    2. I sat down on an empty seat towards the back of the bus.
    3. Looking around, I see the bus driver motions with his finger for me to come see him.
    4. I approach him and he asks what I have on my hip, I tell him it's a handgun.
    5. He tells me I have to get off the bus.
    6. Video starts.

UPDATES!

1. CATA sending Phillip Hofmeister a Check refunding his fare.

2. CATA Website updated:

* Weapons of any kind (except lawfully carried firearms), or possession of any hazardous material or item

Compare to prior rule:

* Weapons of any kind (unless concealed with a legal license) or possession of any hazardous material or item

Refund received and deposited:
    Last edited by TheQ; 04-16-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    maybe it was a hate crime?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	10257  
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    Damn! somebody got a picture of that sign.

Ok. Here's the story. Brady Schickinger (Legislative Aide of MCRGO) is openly gay and was at the rally today. He asked me to hold his sign for a few minutes. I am NOT gay (openly or otherwise).

*sighs*
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

bazinga! i know for a fact more than one person captured that kodak moment...

Re: CATA Bus - Kicks off Pres of MOC

@Q on mobile which does not support flash video. Did driver give you the fare back?

Cool pic above - thought it might have been Al for a second until I looked closer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

he was handed the sign momentarily and at least two of us couldn't resist the photo op

Prompt reply from their lawyer about the incident:

Mr.Hofmeister,

The dispatcher should have told the driver to let you on the bus. The rule was not followed.
    I will talk with CATA on Monday and get back with you.

well done

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post

Ok. Here's the story. Brady Schickinger (Legislative Aide of MCRGO) is openly gay and was at the rally today. He asked me to hold his sign for a few minutes. I am NOT gay (openly or otherwise).

*sighs*
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Prompt reply from their lawyer about the incident:

good job on the follow up Phil

P.S. I liked your sign

Anything you say or sign can be used against you in court, or public opinion !!! HAHAHA !!!!!!!

Never do anything that also can be used !!!!!

I think you handled yourself well. Alternatively you could have stood your ground, made them call the police and go from there. However that likely would not have been as effective as the way you actually conducted yourself.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Good job, Phil.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by lapeer20m View Post
    I think you handled yourself well. Alternatively you could have stood your ground, made them call the police and go from there. However that likely would not have been as effective as the way you actually conducted yourself.

Next time is standing ground -- with 20 ppl. This is the "shot across the bow"

Exclamation

Wow - finally got a chance to watch the video. What a cluster "bleep". I think you should sue them if they don't fix this quickly. That dispatcher needs to have a attitude adjustment and then some. I love that they not only cannot follow their own policy, but then refuse to give you your money back for doing nothing wrong! WTF!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

*sighs*
    Don't you always talk about butt hurt ?

shoulda pointed to the sign of rules right on the bus in big letters that says it is allowed! last time i rode cata(shortly after the first SAM) they changed it to wording that approved of cpl holders carrying.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

I would push for the dispatcher being fired and at least a year's worth of riding for free...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    shoulda pointed to the sign of rules right on the bus in big letters that says it is allowed! last time i rode cata(shortly after the first SAM) they changed it to wording that approved of cpl holders carrying.
    I did. watch the video.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    he did, but the rules stupidly say that it must be concealed
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 04-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.

he did, but the rules stupidly say that it must be concealed
    Which I offered to do at one point (to test that water)

If you want details about the next CATA ride and you're interested in participating, PM or email me.

CATA Website updated:

* Weapons of any kind (except lawfully carried firearms), or possession of any hazardous material or item

Compare to prior rule:

* Weapons of any kind (unless concealed with a legal license) or possession of any hazardous material or item

bazinga! i know for a fact more than one person captured that kodak moment...

OH now THAT is hilarious.... NIce work.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Lightbulb

Puting aside any lack of "perfection"(impossibility) in Your actions Phil,You are to be Commended for the Quality of The Education of Our Fellow Citizens,which Is Our Goal Always!! CARRY ON!
    P.S. DO NOT volunteer to hold ,just any sign(might be anti-gun), in the future!LOL!
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 04-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast