• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

police arrest active duty sergeant for open carry

Damiansar-15

Rick Perry

I recall a gun talk radio interview that Rick Perry did where he was questioned on open carry in Texas. He mentioned that they have open carry for rifles and that seems to work out well for Texas, e.g. concealed pistol carry coupled with open carry rifle. This is a proof-point that it is definitely not working out well for Texas citizens. I wonder if the Governor is aware of this and if he would do anything about it???

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Was it open carry or "rudely displaying?" The claim is the latter, whatever that means.

I got through page one of the article, and there was still no more information about this claim that he was "rudely displaying" the rifle. Did they ever actually cover the actual "news" in what looked like it would just be three pages of sensationalism? Anybody read the whole thing because they had nothing better to do?

Last edited:

rushcreek2

This happens to be the proximate location of the 1991 Luby's massacre (Killeen, TX).

These two Barney Fife's who apparently " Don't care !" what Texas law is need to be scheduled for separation from the Temple PD.

Two tours in Iraq, and this soldier is subjected to this crap !

Citizens of Temple - prepare to donate to this SGT's retirement fund.

I know of some beautiful Hill Country ranches near Fredericksburg in the $ 3 million range that the SGT might be interested in checking out after this all gets settled. HEEEEE- HAW!

Thank you for your service to this country Sgt.

Sounds like time for a "meet & greet " in Temple.

Where in the H--- is Texas coming up with LEO's like these guys ?

Did they come from Kalifornia ?

We need to inundate the Temple PD with comments about LAW ENFORCEMENT officers that " DON'T CARE " what TEXAS LAW is.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Was it open carry or "rudely displaying?" The claim is the latter, whatever that means.

I got through page one of the article, and there was still no more information about this claim that he was "rudely displaying" the rifle. Did they ever actually cover the actual "news" in what looked like it would just be three pages of sensationalism? Anybody read the whole thing because they had nothing better to do?

I read all three pages. I found the additional two pages interesting, to say the least. They go on about the attourney and similar incidents that have happened in the past. They basically paint the prosecutor as a bad guy and tell stories about his ridiculous "Screw the law, I'm going to persecute (not prosecute) gun carriers" attitude. At least, that's what I got out of it.

KBCraig

Bell County still has the same attitude towards GIs that they had in 1951 when Dad was there, in 1984 when I was there, and in 2009 when my son was there.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bell County still has the same attitude towards GIs that they had in 1951 when Dad was there, in 1984 when I was there, and in 2009 when my son was there.

Almost all towns near military bases like to highlight that they don't want the GIs about.

All COs tell their people not to get drunk in town or cause other disruptions.

njkennelly

I live in NV and am very good friends with someone from Temple. We are having a debate about wether the LEOs had the legal right to disarm Grisham who at the time was legally carrying his firearm. Can someone please point me to something that states the LEOs DID NOT have that right (I am truly hoping that someone can).

The only statute I can find is this:

GC §411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM.
(a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license holder.
(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun l ocker where the peace officer can secure the license holder's handgun. The peace officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.
(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a sign that gives notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace officer may temporarily disarm a l icense holder when the license holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and conspicuous manner.
(d) In this section:
(1) “Law enforcement facility” means a building or a p ortion of a
building used exclusively by a l aw enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:
(A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency; or
(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(2) “Nonpublic, secure portion of a l aw enforcement facility” means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general public is denied access without express permission and to which access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law enforcement agency.

Last edited:

AFCop

That provision ONLY applies to a "license holder." i.e., a person issued a Concealed Handgun License. There is no where in Texas law that allows disarmament other then this provision.

mustangkiller

h

TX has a provision that if you are carrying in a manor calculated to alarm you can be charged with a crime. I have yet to see anything with the word "rude" or any form of it. Sounds like BS muscle flexing to me.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Step 1 in "We f***ed up" damage control is reducing the charges. You can't just drop them, because people might get the wrong idea.

KBCraig

Anyone kno the outcome?

Post #16 is the latest. Don't expect news any time soon... the same DA and PD took 8 months to drop charges against another soldier who was perfectly legally carrying in a hospital.

This guy is using the same lawyer. I'd expect the same outcome.