Thread: Richmond Times Dispatch and the NRA 500 ????

Dinwiddie, Virginia, USA

Richmond Times Dispatch and the NRA 500 ????

First I log on to Yahoo this morning and theres an article about how Fox broadcasted the NRA 500 last night but never called in the NRA 500.
    Now I'm looking at the SPORTS front page Sunday Richmond Times newspaper and I see they have ...AAA 500 - Busch bolts to win at Texas. AAA???? This was the NRA 500. So I know he won all the races there at Texas this weekend so I'm thinking they are talking about the Nationwide race. I go to to see what the Nationwide race was called, it was the O'Reilly Auto Part 300.

So has the RDT caved in as well? Cant even call a race by its true name?

Goochland, Virginia, USA
    Two things on this.

1) Fox rarely mentions the race sponsor UNLESS the race sponsor also pays them. The race sponsor generally only has a deal with the track/promoter. Fox has done this for about a decade at least.

EDITED TO ADD - In fact sometimes they take money from a DIFFERENT sponsor and call the race by THAT sponsor's name on the air. That is pretty egregious, but it has been done in the past.

2) the November race at Texas is generally the AAA 500, so it _could_ have just been a mistake. I am not sure I would lay odds on it being an oversight... but if they were going to omit the NRA they would probably just call it the Texas 500. So maybe a mistake.
    Last edited by Skeptic; 04-14-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    I watched a bit of the race last night, and the FOX broadcasters (at least Mike Joy) did in fact properly identify the race as the NRA 500 on multiple occasions.
    Last edited by VApatriot; 04-14-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Location, Richmond, Va., , USA
    If any NASCAR fans are interested, Proactive Shooters (among other local companies) sponsored a 2013 NASCAR schedule. I have free copies available at the office for anyone who wants one. (supplies are limited)

Last edited by ProShooter; 04-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio -