• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's all in the words

Edward Peruta

A published report in the Hartford Courant has the following story headline:

"Suffield Woman Assaulted By Armed Intruder"

A
nd then goes on to report in part:

Suffield Woman Assaulted By Armed Intruder

By KELLY GLISTA, Kglista@courant.com
The Hartford Courant
3:20 PM EDT, April 13, 2013
SUFFIELD
Advertisement

A woman was sexually assaulted by an armed intruder Saturday just after midnight in a home on Thrall Avenue, police said.
The woman called police at about 12:09 a.m. to report that an unknown man with a handgun had assaulted her. Responding officers looking through a window saw the woman lying on the floor and forced their way inside, police said.

This would have been far more accurate!!!

UNARMED DEFENSELESS Suffield Woman Assaulted By Armed Intruder

The Hartford Courant is definately showing their political opinion regarding Second Amendment Rights in the way they report the news.

Last edited:

Riverdance

Yes, and I also take exception to the frequent, almost obligatory comment whenever there's a story about an armed citizen: "police say the firearm was purchased legally."

What other legal (let alone constitutionally protected) property gets the bigotted default that the owner is probably criminal? And it is so common a bias that even gun owners pass over it acceptingly without challenge.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I take it that the facts listed are not an issue for the OP, just the way they are presented....

perhaps the author should have examined the political affiliation of the victim and said (assuming a democrat):

"Democrat who does not support gun ownership sexually assaulted in her home because she was unable to defend herself"

??