• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying my first handgun seeking advice.

joanie

Well if it's only for defence inside the home, I'd say a 20ga pump. 18-20 inch barrel and a mounted flashlight. If your set on a handgun, for whatever reason, I agree with sone others on a revolver. If you have no experance with guns revolvers is easy to learn on. Here are the choices,

357mag- Taurus model 608- for it's capacity. Id say a 6" barrel for balance and recoil.

38spl- S&W model 36- for its small size and easy carry. Id opt for the 3" barrel.

If your set on a semi auto, I like the beretta 92f 9mm... Or the Walther PPK/s for small size and easy carry...

Just my take..

Aknazer

First you need to decide on what type of gun you want to use and where you plan to keep it. For example, you had someone break in while you were on the couch, so you might want a weapon that is easier to store in a drawer so that you can move it from a coffee table to a night stand when you go to bed. A rifle or shotgun isn't going to lend itself to being stored out in the living room area and it's reasonable to assume that should another break-in happen that you're not likely to have the time to retrieve such a weapon from the bedroom. Not to mention that a rifle/shotgun are going to be harder to get on target should the target close on you (which is likely if you are running to another room to retrieve the weapon).

So if you're looking for only one weapon I would say a handgun has the most flexibility in regards to where you store it and home-defense situations. From there you have to figure out just which gun to get. This will require you and your partner to both try out the guns in order to know what she is also comfortable with. Would suck to get a gun that she can't handle or that feels too small in your hands. I know that my wife likes our .380 TCP that we have, while I can't stand the gun due to how small it is and that repeated firing hurts my trigger finger for some reason, but yet she doesn't like all the recoil of my XDm40 while I have no problems with it.

Since you're new to guns I would say look at either a 9mm or .40cal. I personally am not a fan of going smaller than 9mm, and going larger than a .40cal could be an issue for your fiancee. Though feel free to try out any gun and remember that even a .22LR is better than no gun (I just wouldn't want to trust my life on it stopping a criminal) and your fiancee might be able to handle a larger gun than most women her size who are new to guns.

skeith5

Yes 10/22 is great for home defense if you're on a budget. Find me someone willing to get popped with 25 mini mags in a row, exactly.....

I'd rather get a shotgun... nobody would be willing to get popped with 25 mini mags, but a tweaker would probably stop quicker getting hit by buckshot than .22lr...

EMNofSeattle

I'd rather get a shotgun... nobody would be willing to get popped with 25 mini mags, but a tweaker would probably stop quicker getting hit by buckshot than .22lr...

Well I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.... I don't think a 10/22 is the IDEAL weapon for home defense, i think it's a viable option if you're on a budget and it needs to be shared between new/recoil sensitive shooters.

my other comments on revolvers were directed based on my personal experience taking friends to the range, that first time shooters (especially women) prefer revolvers over auto-loaders. not saying this is universal, just among the 10 or so people i've introduced to the shooting world.....

WalkingWolf

Well I guess we can agree to disagree on that one.... I don't think a 10/22 is the IDEAL weapon for home defense, i think it's a viable option if you're on a budget and it needs to be shared between new/recoil sensitive shooters.

my other comments on revolvers were directed based on my personal experience taking friends to the range, that first time shooters (especially women) prefer revolvers over auto-loaders. not saying this is universal, just among the 10 or so people i've introduced to the shooting world.....
I was at a public range a couple months ago, about 2 out of 10 semi auto shooters users were experiencing problems. I was stunned because I never have problems with mine. I suspect that they were using reloads, the range sold reloads. I would never buy another person's reloads but I know ammo is scarce. 22LR does solve the reload problems. And a lot of people have been stopped by 22 LR, I believe the Mossad uses 22 handguns. Someone using a 10/22 should buy a larger magazine though, while they are still legal. I owned a 10/22 when they first came out, to be honest I didn't care for it. But I glued two 10 round magazines together bottom to bottom for quick changes. 10 rounds were all that was available then.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
My advice:

• Get a 1911. Rock Island Armory is good on a budget, Springfield Armory is good if you're feeling spendy, Wilson Combat if money is no object.

Try a Glock and a Springfield Armory XD if you're not feeling the 1911.

• Don't concealed carry. Open carry deters crime, and advances the RKBA. :banana:

All you get for concealed carry is an imaginary "element of surprise".

• .45 > .40 > 9mm.

.45 is the best combination of power and controllability. .40 is a close second (but I find it too "flippy"), and wins in the energy department. 9mm is my least favorite, but it's an easy to shoot caliber, it's inexpensive, and it's immensely popular.

Last edited:

tazxrulz

Sorry that happened. But bear in mind you're jumping ahead of yourself.

I would analyze why your home was broken into while you were there. Did you have a good door lock and was the door locked? Do you have motion sensor lighting? Do you have an alarm system? Do you have illegal substances in the house? Who attacked you? A burglar, a crack-head, a person known to you?

I would fix the above before going out and spending money on a firearm that you do not know how to use.

Good luck and sorry you were attacked.

Are you alright? If you must know I was sitting on my couch with 2 guys drinking beers and apparently being too loud.. The guy got pissed and decided it was best to burst through the door swinging a bat. Did I ever say I don't know how to use a firearm? I been shooting for years! Just because I don't know the pros and cons of different caliber guns don't mean I don't know how to shoot. Who the hell cares who it was or why they broke in? Makes no difference to me. Alls I know is next time something this happens I will draw aim WARN then shoot if the intruder does not retreat. In the great state of Maine I am well within my rights to protect my family and my property. Also I rent so why the hell would I waste my money beefing up security in a apartment that I will not live at for long.. Jumping ahead of myself haha that is pretty funny.

WalkingWolf

My advice:

• Get a 1911. Rock Island Armory is good on a budget, Springfield Armory is good if you're feeling spendy, Wilson Combat if money is no object.

• Try a Glock and a Springfield Armory XD if you're not feeling the 1911.

• Don't concealed carry. Open carry deters crime, and advances the RKBA. :banana:

+1 and don't forget a good quality leather holster to show it off.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Are you alright? If you must know I was sitting on my couch with 2 guys drinking beers and apparently being too loud.. The guy got pissed and decided it was best to burst through the door swinging a bat. Did I ever say I don't know how to use a firearm? I been shooting for years! Just because I don't know the pros and cons of different caliber guns don't mean I don't know how to shoot. Who the hell cares who it was or why they broke in? Makes no difference to me. Alls I know is next time something this happens I will draw aim WARN then shoot if the intruder does not retreat. In the great state of Maine I am well within my rights to protect my family and my property. Also I rent so why the hell would I waste my money beefing up security in a apartment that I will not live at for long.. Jumping ahead of myself haha that is pretty funny.

Feel free to ignore maverick9. Most of the rest of us do, and he only has 11 posts.

EMNofSeattle

I was at a public range a couple months ago, about 2 out of 10 semi auto shooters users were experiencing problems. I was stunned because I never have problems with mine. I suspect that they were using reloads, the range sold reloads. I would never buy another person's reloads but I know ammo is scarce. 22LR does solve the reload problems. And a lot of people have been stopped by 22 LR, I believe the Mossad uses 22 handguns. Someone using a 10/22 should buy a larger magazine though, while they are still legal. I owned a 10/22 when they first came out, to be honest I didn't care for it. But I glued two 10 round magazines together bottom to bottom for quick changes. 10 rounds were all that was available then.

Well I've never had problems with semi autos, I just hate them. I shoot glocks in competition. But I still prefer wheelguns. my favorite hangun of all is the S&W Model 10, I also like the Highway Patrolman is another favorite.

I've noticed alot of new shooters don't like operating slides, especially the stiff glock slides that have minimal seration and are hard to grasp. revolvers are in theory much easier to operate.

I actually keep a remington Nylon 66 loaded in my cabinet for a defensive long gun, actually i keep that for predators to the poultry i raise, but I have a feeling 15 accurately placed .22 hollowpoints would ruin a bipedal predator's day just as easily....

matt2636

start with a 9 or 45. 40 is to "snappy" and dont worry about this so called knock down power factor. where you make your hits is going to count more then anything. and AR can be fine depending where you live cause yes it will penetrate walls. but so do hand gun bullets. and right ammo selection the AR rounds will penetrate less then a handgun bullet believe it or not cause that round is moving so fast it just starts breaking apart when it hits stuff. a 20gauge with bird shot is your best bet without to much penetration through the house. the bird shot still can penetrate walls so nothing is really full proof. but if you are just getting one id go with a .45. it wont penetrate as bad as other handgun bullets. for OC id pick a holster that works for you and that you like. kydex holsters are the next best thing and leather is kinda old and out dated. you woudnt wanna get caught in the rain much with them and you have to take care of them. but thats all up to you it just depends how much time you have on your hands.

tazxrulz

Thanks again to all that replied with serious answers. I am off to Kittery Trading Post now to make my purchase. Since I want to have enough cash on stand by for my move that is coming in the near future I am only spending about $400.00 total on holster and gun. I am going to choose between

709 FS SLIM 9MM LUG Taurus $319.99
or
13015 P95PR 9MM BLUE 15 RD W/ RAIL Ruger $349.99

I am most likely going with the Ruger for now to start with then buy something a little better (around $700.00 to play with) when the gun show comes to town. I'm going with the 9MM for now since ammo seems to be cheaper and I want to be able to go and shoot off a bunch of rounds at the range without going broke too fast. The only reason I am even considering the slim Taurus is because I'll save $30.00 but I don't plan to conceal anytime soon. I'll definitely be referring back to this thread before I go to the gun show. Thanks again all.

WalkingWolf

Thanks again to all that replied with serious answers. I am off to Kittery Trading Post now to make my purchase. Since I want to have enough cash on stand by for my move that is coming in the near future I am only spending about $400.00 total on holster and gun. I am going to choose between

709 FS SLIM 9MM LUG Taurus $319.99
or
13015 P95PR 9MM BLUE 15 RD W/ RAIL Ruger $349.99

I am most likely going with the Ruger for now to start with then buy something a little better (around $700.00 to play with) when the gun show comes to town. I'm going with the 9MM for now since ammo seems to be cheaper and I want to be able to go and shoot off a bunch of rounds at the range without going broke too fast. The only reason I am even considering the slim Taurus is because I'll save $30.00 but I don't plan to conceal anytime soon. I'll definitely be referring back to this thread before I go to the gun show. Thanks again all.
You can't go wrong with a Ruger, even if you sell it in the long run. I have owned several and made a profit off of each one. Personally I do not care for their SA revolvers but the are well built solid reliable guns. My problem with them is the progressive spring on the hammer, same thing with the DA revolvers, but you are looking at semi auto though.

rushcreek2

tazxrulz - you said you were SITTING ON THE COUCH when you were confronted by the home invader.

That strongly suggest that your "choice" should be light, and compact enough to be carried in a comfortable holster at ALL TIMES upon your person at home.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Could they have been doing malfunction drills rather than having problems?

I am with you on never having problems with my semi autos. out of 20K rounds give or take through my XD9 I have had two failures to fire other than that the gun goes bang every time.

mobiushky

I know you're probably headed off to pick up your gun already, but I'd like to interject one thing. Ignore everyone here who says .45>.40>9mm or 9mm>.45>.40 or .40>.32>.454Casul or whatever nonsense.

Fact. Pistols suck. It doesn't matter what caliber you choose. There is no benefit to .45 and no drawback to 9mm other than capacity and prices. And no person here can reference a valid study that proves anything different. The only credible studies done show that the caliber is completely irrelevant. You're going to have fire more than one round at the target to stop him. The average is around 3 rounds regardless of the caliber (actually it's about 2.5 but who fires 0.5 of a bullet?). The question is can you place 3 controlled rounds in a 9 inch circle from around 20 feet or less. If you can, all three of the favorite calibers will be acceptable. Some people using some guns can place 3 controlled rounds in that target regardless of the caliber. Some can't. Another fact, you'll shoot a .22LR pistol better than any larger pistol because you'll be able to control it better. But no one recommends that really unless you plan to pay for high quality rounds that you can bet your life on.

Since you're planning to get a 9mm, stick to 9 when you buy your second gun. It's always cheaper on you to stock pile a single caliber than to try to stock pile 5 different calibers and it also limits confusion under stress. Worst thing you can do is grab a box of 9mm to load into your newly purchased .45 by accident while someone is bashing in the door. Once you get comfortable and have a decent home defense set up, then branch out. Nothing wrong with any of the calibers, just get comfortable with what you have before you do.

Also, modern self defense ammo is SO well made and varied that it's pretty easy to pick up a 9mm round that tops .45 for energy. (which really doesn't do anything for mythical "stopping power" which doesn't exist.) For instance, a recent test of 230gr +p JHP ended up with a muzzle velocity of about 850 fps on a 5" barrel. That equates to around 369 ft lbs of energy. While Underwood ammo makes a 9mm that makes almost 1400 fps. That approaches 501 ft lbs of energy. So there's more to it than ".45 is more powerful". That's simply not true anymore.

.45 can be just as good as 9mm even if it is more expensive. LOL.

Bottom line, choose the gun you like and use it. practice, practice, practice. Then practice a LOT more. Shot placement makes pistols a viable defense tool, not caliber.

WalkingWolf

Could they have been doing malfunction drills rather than having problems?

I am with you on never having problems with my semi autos. out of 20K rounds give or take through my XD9 I have had two failures to fire other than that the gun goes bang every time.

No, they were clearly having problems, most of them appeared to be FTF, which is a good indication of problems with the ammo. They were part of a CHP class that I decided to watch. The instructor had about 20 students, 10 on the line at a time. It was almost comical to watch, every command of fire was followed by hands going up to indicate problems. The revolver shooters though only a few never had a problem. One girls problems were definitely ammo. I checked her ammo and she was using TC instead of round ball in a PA-63, it was the only ammo she could find locally, AND she paid $30 a box for it.

With the current ammo situation a lot of people are using reloads, both their own and bought from other sources. Unless the reloader is using a a FCD the ammo will cause problems. I learned this a long time ago with my Marlin 94 and reloads, running all my ammo through a FCD cleared all problems up.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I am going to choose between ...Taurus...or ...Ruger....

I've no experience with that particular Taurus, but I do have that Ruger in my collection. It is extremely reliable, and easy to shoot because of its size. Since you say concealing is not a current concern, you will be very happy with that Ruger. I think it is one of the best values out there on a full size pistol.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

No, they were clearly having problems, most of them appeared to be FTF, which is a good indication of problems with the ammo. They were part of a CHP class that I decided to watch. The instructor had about 20 students, 10 on the line at a time. It was almost comical to watch, every command of fire was followed by hands going up to indicate problems. The revolver shooters though only a few never had a problem. One girls problems were definitely ammo. I checked her ammo and she was using TC instead of round ball in a PA-63, it was the only ammo she could find locally, AND she paid $30 a box for it.

With the current ammo situation a lot of people are using reloads, both their own and bought from other sources. Unless the reloader is using a a FCD the ammo will cause problems. I learned this a long time ago with my Marlin 94 and reloads, running all my ammo through a FCD cleared all problems up.

Well that sure sounds like ammo problems not malfunction drills. I asked because I had a friend ask me what was wrong with my gun when I was doing malfunction drills at my range.

I may and do use reloads for practice but never for self defense unless I had no other choice.